Is fairness and etiquette not a two way street?

I am not a regular poster, nor a long term hobbyist but I am looking for some feedback on the issue of booking appointments.

My experience applies to both SPs and MPs.

On multiple occasions I have booked appointments in advance (1-2 days) either by PM, email or text; whatever is most appropriate for the provider. I then am asked to confirm the day of the appointment typically several hours in advance...okay no problem I do that.

But where I have an issue is when I do the follow up a couple of hours in advance and I get no response. In some cases I only receive an email several days later with a reason why they couldn't make the appointment. Now I can see if it was a emergency or a serious issue, but that isn't often the case. Isn't it common courtesy for the provider to let a scheduled appointment know if they are not available (via PM or text) as the client is planning their day accordingly just as the SP does. After all as a client I wouldn't want to be a no show w/o explanation for them.

Am I missing something or do I have the wrong set of expectations on fairness goes both ways?!?!

• Like 6

I believe it should be a two way street, if you are confirming at least 2 hrs before then yes you should be getting a reply, give them an hour or so in case they are with a client.

It's only fair, and if this continues with a certain provider then maybe look elsewhere

Guest S*rca****sid

This isn't the first time this topic has come up for discussion. In my opinion, I think the best thing is to move on. There are plenty of reputable providers that would honour your business.

If they are touring SPs I will understand because they are constantly going city to city and sometimes it's hard to sit down and send e-mails here and there. (too many variables, travel delays, exhaustion, unforeseen circumstances)

If it's a local SP then I probably wouldn't be happy.

My 2 cents.

I have never really experienced a problem with this... on the very rare occasion where the SP cancelled it was normally with excellent reasons.... it's in their interest to not disappoint as they are looking for repeat business.

One of the challenges the SP will often have is a reluctance to contact the client because of privacy and confidentiality concerns... ie who answered the phone or gets the text.

I've been in the "hobby" for more than thirty years. In all that time I've been stood up on three occasions. Most recently, I had two back to back no shows in less than 24 hours. Both were booked days in advance. Both were confirmed the day before. Radio silence followed on the day of the date. In one case the provider had a legitimate & hilarious excuse, the other; not so much. Both are reputable local providers.

My point is: from time to time, shit happens. Three no shows in 30+ years is not that bad. Two in less than a day might be enough to sour a fledgling hobbyist. I still see one of the two local providers. The other: not so much. The best advice is to move on. Find a reputable local or touring provider and try again.

• Like 1

if a provider is doing this more than once to customers without a probable and truthful excuse their should be some sort of punishment like a suspension or a vocal area for us clients to say which providers are creating bad dates so we can avoid these providers.

Guest S*rca****sid
if a provider is doing this more than once to customers without a probable and truthful excuse their should be some sort of punishment like a suspension or a vocal area for us clients to say which providers are creating bad dates so we can avoid these providers.

I'm not sure being stood up for an appointment would be considered as being a bad date. And due to the nature of this site, I doubt you will be able to post those (negative) types of comments.

The best approach may be to see if any members ask for any info or recommendations on the offending provider and send them a Private Message to explain your unfavorable experience with them.

Am I missing something or do I have the wrong set of expectations on fairness goes both ways?!?!

Your expectations are quite reasonable. Your recent luck has, however, been terrible.

As stated earlier, move on and give it another go - either with the same provider if you accept her explanation or a different one. This behavior is certainly not the norm and the chances you will continue to encounter this with others is very slim.

Good hunting to you!