OK...before I start, yes I am a bit bored right now lol.

Since the weekend was so beautiful, I dedicated my time to the yard. I love to garden but hate to wear gloves (or shoes for that matter).

Digging in the dirts, pulling weeds etc...all with bare hands. I also decided to tackle that pesky weed wacker that quit on me last year.

Short of getting fake nails....how do I get the grease and dirt out from under my nails and from around my cuticles. As a stop gap measure, I applied dark brown polish to my rather short natural nails.

HELP!

white grease remover from cdn tire and alot of warm water.. if you don't mind your hands smelling like a mechanic for half an hour after ;)

oh.. and you'll need lots of moisturizer ... let me know if you want me to apply it to your hands ;)

maybe try a dish soap that has a grease fighter...or a laundry soap...just a bit...might help..lol just a suggestion

xo

I work with grease and dirt everyday, I try to scrape the bulk of it from under my fingernails with something sharp but be very careful. It is very hard and sometimes impossible to wear gloves at work, just doesn`t feel the same (ok now I`m getting off track LOL). You can do some dishes or hold your hands under water, hit the hottub/pool. As mentioned before hand cream is a must, before and after. You can also buy a barrier cream at most hardware stores. There are better gloves out there such as Mechanix at Cdn Tire that fit your hands tight and still let them breathe.

There is this orange scrub soap that is really tough on grease, I used to use it when I did print-press stuff and it would get the oil-based inks and stains out of my hands and nails like magic! is that the same stuff that mechanics use? this one wasn't smelly...it would smell like orange candy after! :-)

There is this orange scrub soap that is really tough on grease, I used to use it when I did print-press stuff and it would get the oil-based inks and stains out of my hands and nails like magic! is that the same stuff that mechanics use? this one wasn't smelly...it would smell like orange candy after! :-)

Yeah, I believe it is the same stuff. My old man was a mechanic for heavy machinery and used it all the time for decades. I used to use it too when I would monkey around the shop with him on weekends. Had gritty-bits in it.

Its called GoJo ... here's a link:

http://gojo.com/canada/markets/automotive/products/selfdispense/094712.aspx

This is probably what you are thinking of.

Happy scrubbin'.

You are probably too young to have run across this but there use to be a commercial on featuring Palmolive dish soap. It had the manicurist Madge who use to soak her clients hands in the stuff.... it might work for you!:D

Yeah, I believe it is the same stuff. My old man was a mechanic for heavy machinery and used it all the time for decades. I used to use it too when I would monkey around the shop with him on weekends. Had gritty-bits in it.

yup thats it, gritty lil pieces of magic grease remover...mmm...with a candy orange smell.

As mentioned earlier a good barrier cream before digging in the dirt can help. You may also try scraping a bar of soap before hand to fill your nails up with something that washes out easily.

Posted via Mobile Device

I find a nail brush or small toothbrush irritates my fingers and nails and makes them feel like I cut the nails too short...ouch!

Some hand cleaner like Gojo (the abrasive is crushed pumice stone) then a good long hot shower and make sure I scrub my hair a lot with lots of shampoo. By then my hands will be pretty darn clean, but not always perfect. Sometimes it just takes time to let it grow out.

OK...before I start, yes I am a bit bored right now lol.

Since the weekend was so beautiful, I dedicated my time to the yard. I love to garden but hate to wear gloves (or shoes for that matter).

Digging in the dirts, pulling weeds etc...all with bare hands. I also decided to tackle that pesky weed wacker that quit on me last year.

Short of getting fake nails....how do I get the grease and dirt out from under my nails and from around my cuticles. As a stop gap measure, I applied dark brown polish to my rather short natural nails.

HELP!

What about Oxi-Clean? That stuff is AMAZING!!! Or, you can go get a manicure and let them get it out :idea:

I have been using a product call Fast Orange for years. It is a waterless hand cleaner that you find in the automotive section of Canadian Tire. Whether digging in the dirt or tinker with the lawn tractor, it works on whatever dirt got onto my hands.

There are other products as well. The best suggestion is to head to the automotive section and ask where to find the hand cleaners that mechanics use.

Fast Orange is the best! I used to raid the mechanic's shop in the logging camp where I grew up just to use it! I'd get covered in all kinds of dirt, grime, grease and muck but Fast Orange would take it off. Quickly. And it smells sort of like an orange Creamsickle.