17 Interesting Facts From a New Report About Sex Workers in Canada

Interesting stats. I was a little surprised at how low the % was how many report always using a condom, but I wonder if that includes oral or hand-only encounters.

I'd also like to ask that sex-buyer who thinks it should be illegal what their reasoning is!

Interesting stats. I was a little surprised at how low the % was how many report always using a condom, but I wonder if that includes oral or hand-only encounters.

I was also wondering in which context the low usage of condoms came from... Does oral, both BBBJ and DATY, included in those stats? If not, 69% is very low and surprising.

I'd also like to ask that sex-buyer who thinks it should be illegal what their reasoning is!

I am wondering if the buyers who are part of those stats understand the difference between legalizing and decriminalizing and what their current knowledge of the laws is...

Here is the full working research paper:

http://www.understandingsexwork.com/sites/default/files/uploads/Team%20Grant%20Working%20Paper%201%20CBenoit%20et%20al%20%20September%2018%202014.pdf

It's a very interesting read, and much more detailed than the short news article above.

Also, here is the full project website: http://www.understandingsexwork.com

Chris Atchison, who appeared as a witness speaking out against bill C-36 at both the House and Senate Committees is one of the several awesome researchers working on this study. He also did the JohnsVoice & SexSafetySecurity studies. He's been researching the sex industry in Canada for 20+ years. I <3 him. There is also several other amazing researchers working on this including Frances Shaver, who was also just at the Senate hearings speaking against C-36.

Yes, the study includes all types of workers, not just FS. Here is a bit more about this from the working paper:

Like many Canadians who have sex with several partners, most sex workers use condoms to reduce sex-related risks and harms. Sixty-nine percent of sex workers said they used a condom every time they had sex with a client in the last month, while 16% used a condom a lot of the time. Only 6% reported they used a condom rarely or some of the time and 8% say they never used a condom when with a client.
Most of the times condoms were not used was during
non-vaginal sex.

Guest S****r

These stats are much more believabe than what the antis keep crying!

They seem realistic.

Do you know where in Ottawa he is presenting his paper next week?

Here is the full working research paper:

Like many Canadians who have sex with several partners, most sex workers use condoms to reduce sex-related risks and harms. Sixty-nine percent of sex workers said they used a condom every time they had sex with a client in the last month, while 16% used a condom a lot of the time. Only 6% reported they used a condom rarely or some of the time and 8% say they never used a condom when with a client.
Most of the times condoms were not used was during
non-vaginal sex.

It's kind of misleading then, for the Georgia Straight to pick that stat and make it look like that many sps are providing intercourse without condoms?

But also, does 'non vaginal sex' mean that condoms may not be used during greek? And there is a high number of male sps in this study, is this stat maybe something that occurs more in M4M situations?

Thanks for finding the reference tho, i have only gotten thru half of the report.

• Like 1

i also remember reading something about a number of sex workers also receive assistance. Which also makes sense. I've talked to more than a couple of sps who do get disability assistance, they cannot work a fulltime job due to physical and health issues, however anyone can tell you that there is no kind of assistance that provides enough income to pay all the bills and provide for a family. That's why many of those sps are part time, they work when they are able to, and take the time off when they need to.