Gang rape warning issued for St. John's sex workers

An outreach group has issued a "red alert" warning to sex-trade workers in the St. John's area after reports of recent sexual assaults, including gang rape and sodomy.

Hotel door

Sex-trade workers in the St. John's area are being warned about accepting jobs that may involve groups of men waiting in a hotel room. (Shutterstock)

The warning was sent through the Safe Harbour Outreach Project's Twitter account, @sexworkoutreach, late Thursday afternoon.

The project is a new program that supports women in the sex trade in St. John's and surrounding areas.

"Sex workers are contacted, then they are transported to a hotel under the understanding that they will be meeting one man for work," the warning said.

According to the outreach group, when a woman arrives at a hotel door, she is "forced into a hotel room where there are several men waiting. Some reports have stated 12 men, other reports have been as high as 20."

The project said it is believed the men are associated with, or working for, a major construction project in the province.

The CBC Investigates unit has done extensive work on the surge of sex workers travelling to, and working in, Newfoundland and Labrador. The increase is linked to the recent economic boom.

One source familiar with the sex trade said this type of attack is a first for the province.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/gang-rape-warning-issued-for-st-john-s-sex-workers-1.2785970?cmp=rss

• Like 4

This type of behavior is just sickening and speaks to the very essence of why this industry needs to be legalized.... bring the business into the open and allow people to adequately screen clients so they don't find themselves in these types of situations. My thought are with the SP who endured such treatment when all she was trying to do was do her job and earn a living ...

This sickens me to the point of humiliation to say that Newfoundland is my home. WTF guys of St. Johns, really? I know it isn't everyone but afterwards, St Johns will undoubtedly get a reputation for this. Its bullshit!

This is disgusting. Sadly I heard about it elsewhere so it is not the first time it has happened.

Nothing is more dangerous than a bunch of drunk guys, seriously.