Is it just me or does this happen to all

UGGGG I hate that...cell bills the same. I recently cut back on all of my services in hopes of a lower bill. It was lower but, alas, not what they promised! I called in (stayed on the phone for 48mins) and was told I would get a credit on my next bill. Ya right! I am sure the credit will be there but new charges will also appear! Getting sick and tired of being taken advantage of!

It isn't you.

I have had this same conversation with friends and family and each month we collectively scratch our noggins and think, "WTF???"

$250 one month, $350 the next, $800 credit a few months down the road. I have no idea how they work the books....

With all the unemployed, cancelling, somebody has to maintain their cashflow!

Cogeco just sent me a " we have made enhancements" (so we get to charge you more) notice !

( We have management bonuses to think of, you know, regardless of recession)

Edited by Suzirider
added last line

UGGGG I hate that... Getting sick and tired of being taken advantage of!

I felt the same. My bills far exceeded my mortgage and I was getting tired of having my cable/satellite bill forever increasing. Not to mention I was paying for both cable and satellite, which was my choice. But nearly 10 years ago, I said screw it. I got someone to take my satellite off the roof, got rid of my receiver too and changed my internet service from cable (canceled that) to phone. And I'll tell ya. I get a helluva lot more done in a day without the energy and soul sapping curse of the idiot box. Seriously, best thing I could've done. I choose what I want to watch, renting, online, borrowing from friends, and am no longer paying the cable and satellite providers for the privilege to sit through countless hours of insultingly ridiculous advertising or God forbid, tuning into one of those reality shows. Why on God's beautiful green Earth would someone enjoy watching other people live their lives? Ok, I'm sorry. I realize mine is of the unpopular vote, and I suppose I could see the attraction to shows like Survivor and The Amazing Race, but Big Brother and The Bachelor? I just don't see the point of shows like that. Once again, so sorry. Rant officially over. :grin: Screw the cable companies. :wink:

• Like 1

I'm always surprised at the number of people that still have cable, for me it's a redundant service. I have a computer, anything I want to watch is available online and either free or significantly less and I've never had an issue with customer service in regards to increased rates or getting refunds. I hook up my computer to the screen I want, an external drive will store all the shows I want and I can take it with me when I want to.

I did change ISP's when I made the transition to tv online, I was with Rogers before but they had limits on my bandwidth and so many additional fees which would add up quickly. I decided on Acanac, it's a bit slower but has unlimited bandwidth and is all prepaid so annually I pay my internet bill (approx. $300) and then I'm done. I used to pay the same amount of money for two months of internet and cable with Rogers what I now pay for a year.

http://www.acanac.ca/DSL.html

Well I'm thinking about cancelling my cable and just streaming on the internet and downloading. This way I can watch what I want when I want and it would consist the same $75 for unlimiting download.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are some U.S. shows only available for viewing on the Internet, if your IP address is in the States?

I'm new to this...so any feedback would be appreciated.

Yes Angela, you are correct....American channels only allow access to Americans. You can view a great number of shows shown on CTV, Global, CityTv, Showcase and CBC online however...I find those channels give me more than I could ever keep up with!

• Like 1

Yes Angela, you are correct....American channels only allow access to Americans. You can view a great number of shows shown on CTV, Global, CityTv, Showcase and CBC online however...I find those channels give me more than I could ever keep up with!

I am thinking of cutting my cable and getting rabbit ears. My computer is too old to have downloaded movies etc, no dvd burner either. But those online movies would be great on a new system, which I am currently looking at now.

cable and satillite tv is all the same to much money for all the same channels i'll be glad when they find a fix for the fta boxes free tv and all the channels and no charge

I was doing major renovations and had my gas meter removed....that's right, gas completely shut off and I got huge bills for months! I called to complain and was told to just pay them and it would sort itself out once reconnected. I'm still waiting.

I've never had cable since I moved out on my own, and I've never missed it, either. There are a few shows I like, but I'll download them and watch them in sequence - I simply can't plan to be at home at the same time every week.

As for billing, I wouldn't be surprised at any amount of overbilling, especially if it's Rogers - they're the absolute worst for that. I've been with them for over a decade, and I constantly have to call them to adjust my phone bill.

Funny thing, though - they never underbill me. Now, if it was an innocent mistake, wouldn't there be as many mistakes in my favour as mistakes in theirs? :roll:

Bloody thieves, all of them. :ablow:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are some U.S. shows only available for viewing on the Internet, if your IP address is in the States?

You can use a proxy server on your computer to block your IP. I can't remember the name of it but Christine knows (http://www.joyful-spirit.net)

UGGGG I hate that...cell bills the same. I recently cut back on all of my services in hopes of a lower bill. It was lower but, alas, not what they promised! I called in (stayed on the phone for 48mins) and was told I would get a credit on my next bill. Ya right! I am sure the credit will be there but new charges will also appear! Getting sick and tired of being taken advantage of!

Well Meg come on down to the "East Coast" and I am sure that there are more than a few of us that will be more than willing for you take advantage of us ;)

Loki318

There are a lot of services that allow you to hide your IP, I've found this one to be good. The free trial runs slower than the full version, I'm guessing they host all the free trials on a few servers - that and they want to encourage you to buy the full version.

http://www.hide-my-ip.com/