Getting started in the industry?

Save money...there will be slow times and retirement...even if it's only a few dollars from each appointment. Save,save, save.

This one is the one that most forget about. Financial planning is key to any business. Budgeting, evaluating expense to see where you can cut cost, saving, paying out of pocket, not on credit. Etc.

Some ladies don't even keep track of their income vrs business expenses before looking at take home cash vrs natural living costs.

• Like 2

Don't put off what you can do today, cause you don't know what tomorrow will bring.

That is something I have learned, but with that there is also balance. We can find ourselves focusing too much on working and can let other obligations left behind.

As an example, as friend of mine had a really good day. Then she got a request to visit friend she never seen in long time. This friend of hers does not know her business. She hummed and sighed over trying to decide is she should go see her friend or wait for one more apt to book in.

I asked her, " has it been long time since you spent time together?" She says yes, " did you have a good finical day?" Yes, and awesome day! She says.

"So you should spend time with you friend then! " We owe it to ourselves and our friendships to not let them fall behind. We tend to get caught up with working, and that can leave holes in other area's of life.

In this market (Wpg) and I'm not sure about others it can be tough at first. New girls attract attention and if there's positive buzz even more so. There has been a history of jealousy when a new girl arrives on the scene and is popular right off the bat. We know there have been at least a couple quality providers who were forced out of our market or retired because constant harassment, cancellations, no shows and even being outed to family, friends and landlords.

As much fun as it is to be the popular new girl, lots of stuff can come with it. It can get heady so don't over reach and as weird as it sounds don't draw too much attention to your self.

My experience has shown this can be a lonely, isolating game and achieving/maintaining a life balance is critical.

Good Luck!

Peace

MG

• Like 1

Thanks for the thread Sophia and the thought to mentoring. It's very heartening.

Again, this is my view from the other side of the fence, so take it for what it's worth.

For the most part, the photos are your biggest selling feature to accompany an ad. If possible, try and let your personality shine through a bit if it's within your comfort level. A smile is a wonderful thing to see.

• Like 1

This one is the one that most forget about. Financial planning is key to any business. Budgeting, evaluating expense to see where you can cut cost, saving, paying out of pocket, not on credit. Etc.

Some ladies don't even keep track of their income vrs business expenses before looking at take home cash vrs natural living costs.

I met someone, well more than one, who don't even track their appts in anyway, like how much, how many, what their income is at the end of the week, or for the entire month. Not tracking expenses i get, but not tracking income makes no sense to me. And of the phone calls received during the day, they had no clue which ones were chronic time wasters and which ones were the ones who actually came to see them.

You can't plan for the future unless you understand what has happened in the past. You should be able to look at last week compare to this week, last month compare to this month, Wednesdays compared to Saturdays, October 2013 compared to October 2014. It's the only way to plan ahead, if you need/want time off, if you think things are falling off, comparing tells you that you are at exactly the same level this year as you were last year.

• Like 2

I met someone, well more than one, who don't even track their appts in anyway, like how much, how many, what their income is at the end of the week, or for the entire month. Not tracking expenses i get, but not tracking income makes no sense to me. And of the phone calls received during the day, they had no clue which ones were chronic time wasters and which ones were the ones who actually came to see them.

You can't plan for the future unless you understand what has happened in the past. You should be able to look at last week compare to this week, last month compare to this month, Wednesdays compared to Saturdays, October 2013 compared to October 2014. It's the only way to plan ahead, if you need/want time off, if you think things are falling off, comparing tells you that you are at exactly the same level this year as you were last year.

There will always be rainy days and days full of cancellations.

• Like 2