Don't discredit the Blue Samurai yet! Japan's still go plenty of fight left in them. But yes, Ghana and Japan have little realistic hope of making it to the final four. But you have to admit, they've got style!

Posted via Mobile Device

Looks like it's a draw in first half. Both Japan and Paraguay are playing well. A good game so far.

Germany....

istockphoto_2879245-german-flag-1.jpg

In a cake walk....even though they are a very young team, I think they will hard to stop !

LH_02-772032.jpg

Grrrrrrgh! The team I like lost in shoot out. Small error sent team Japan home.

Congratulations Paraguay!

I feel the same way, I was really gunning for Japan. But let's face it, facing either Spain or Portugal will put an end to most teams' dream of glory. Better Japan go out honorably after a good fight than get embarassed in the next round.

Posted via Mobile Device

@Lindsay I see otherwise. Everyone, including Japan, know that they can't bring the cup home. However if they can get into the quarterfinals this year, they have greater confidence in the next world cup.

Take this as a lesson learn, team Japan. You don't have to put a lot of efforts in shoot outs. Just be patient and wait till the goalie makes his move first. Honda san made it look so easy.

alllllll right... with game 8 in the round of 16 about to start, I am a perfect 7 for 7 so far in the office pool. My toughest challenge so far is about to happen... I have Portugal over Spain.

I hope you're right. I'm gonna miss it :-( I'm even gonna miss the repeat airing of it :-( *waaaahhhh!! (Go Portugal!)

Posted via Mobile Device

Well it has been a fluid game, lots of end to end play. I love the fact that the Argentinian ref is letting things go... no BS dives are going to get any credence.

Well Lindsay.... Spain won 1-0... and it left me 7/8 in the office pool. Spain dominated Portugal on most levels... and Ronaldo (like Rooney for England) was a non factor in the tournament.

Ohhhhh... here is an interesting look... with all the brackets being set, it is possible (not probable) that the semis could be an all South American event. In at least 3 out of 4 pairings, the SA team is the favourite, and one must never discount an underdog!!!

Rinaldo,

Judges scored him as follows :

0 - 10 for shots on goals,

0 - 10 for goals

10 - 10 for whining,

AND

10 - 10 on the 2 dives he took...... impressive.....

it might certainly be a south american affair for the semis.

Atleast 2 of them being brazil and Argentina might go thru. But i think Holland will take out brazil.

Where as the argentina vs germany game is going to be about which defense is more organized on that day because both team are running out of control offensively.

Certainly Spain will take out Paraguay so its the uruguay vs ghana game that is hard to call mathematically.

My heart is with Ghana on that one.

Rinaldo,

Judges scored him as follows :

0 - 10 for shots on goals,

0 - 10 for goals

10 - 10 for whining,

AND

10 - 10 on the 2 dives he took...... impressive.....

Yup Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney are two guys that made absolutely no impact in the tourney.

Better Japan go out honorably after a good fight than get embarassed in the next round.

Posted via Mobile Device

That doesn't sound right. ;)

It sounded worse than I meant it, but it is nonetheless true.

As for Holland beating Brazil, I'll have whatever he's smoking.

Go Ghana!! I said it at the beginning of the tourny, they're a decent team. Not great, but they're no slumps. Alas, I think this will be the last we see of them until Brazil 2014.

Ronaldo is a good kid. Operative word being kid. He's young, and probably a little hot-headed. And he has a lot of expectation on him. Frustration in his own lack of performance is undoubtedly his crux.

Thanks for the updates, though! :-D

Posted via Mobile Device

In their honour, Rick Astley sings...

Never Ghana Give You Up....

Ghana, being an underdog, should put more emphasis on its offense and take some risk.

As for Holland beating Brazil, I'll have whatever he's smoking.

Posted via Mobile Device

I'd be glad to share it with you.

Honestly, Brazil came out extra physical when starting the game and made the game messy as Holland had to defend themselves even if it meant play acting as the Brazilians are also good at that.

COngrats to the ORANJE regardless.

I'm a bit disappointed because I picked Brazil to win the cup. Brazil didn't have a superstar so the lost is somewhat predictable.

it might certainly be a south american affair for the semis.

Atleast 2 of them being brazil and Argentina might go thru. But i think Holland will take out brazil.

Where as the argentina vs germany game is going to be about which defense is more organized on that day because both team are running out of control offensively.

Certainly Spain will take out Paraguay so its the uruguay vs ghana game that is hard to call mathematically.

My heart is with Ghana on that one.

Kinda called it.

Arjen Robben is a sly little prick isn't he, I'm just glad he's on my team. I will be the first to admit he has does make a meal out of a foul on occasion, but to be completely fair, he is so fast and his feet so quick, he earns more fouls than he he simulates. The refs are noting it too, Bastos fouled him about three more times without a card than he would have against anyone else, except maybe for Rinaldo who is also gettin a reputation.

However, it doesn't matter, Oranje is through to the semi-final!:boobies: