Ah, it's my favorite time every four years! The beautiful game, the world's game, the world cup!

According to Pele's prediction, Argentina will win the cup this year. Personally I think he's wrong. I think it will either be Brazil, Uruguay, or maybe Nigeria.

France was off to a terrible start in the qualifying rounds, so they're not likely to be finalists. Italy will be in the quarters, but I reckon they'll get knocked out. Nigeria and Uruguay both fought fiercely to qualify and both have a thirst for the cup. Ghana I don't think will make the finals, but they may make it to the quarters. They preformed very well their first year in Germany. Brazil is historically the best national soccer team, but much like the Habs, history doesn't always count in the present.

It should be a great cup this year! Who are your picks?

I am going against the odds since I have heard from many that they don't have faith on this team in this world cup. I believe Italy will be in the final and win the cup.

Guest W***ledi*Time

Braziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Spain.

It would be fantastic if an African country went deep (keeping my fingers crossed!)

I'm not great at predicting soccer "matches" But the team and Country I'm going to cheer for of course is my birth Country-Netherlands!

GO ORANGE!

NED.jpg

Spain has a great shot at it this year, and I fully expect them to make semi-finals.

Italy only wins about every 3rd cup (12 years). They won last time, so I'm not favoring them this year. (and I just don't like them :razz:)

did anyone else get a giggle at the fact that the thread "Cup Size" pops up right below this one?

hehehehe

Cup size... LOL. I knew I liked soccer for a reason!

England? Really? REALLY? Well, I'd rather them than Italy *running away now before I get lynched* :razz:

Like so many years, this year I will watch for the pleasure of the game. Too many generations have been born and raised in Canada to have much (if any) connection to any other country... so this will be the chance to look for miracles, to root for the underdog... and to just enjoy the passion for the game!

I'm not following the game this year but I'll go with my usual favs.

Germany and Brazil play the final. Brazil wins because the weather is more to their liking.

Posted via Mobile Device

Wow, Didnt think anyone would be interested in the world cup here.

Well I should be supporting my home team of Nigeria but i know they will not go very far but the African teams have an excellent chance to get past the quarterfinals this go-around.

The obvious favorites are Brazil and Spain then you have the likes of

Italy (dont know why this time around, they have an aging team)

Holland (Stacked with talented player but have under-achieved numerous times)

Argentina (They have talented players as well but seem quite dis-organized and have a coach who is quite un-tested)

Portugal (I dont think anyone i know like this team, they are okay but quite the actors and bring alot of theatrics on the stage in terms of diving and pretending to influence the referees)

Germany (not start-studed like the other european team but quite organized and that there should be enough for them to make it close to the semi-final)

This year's event should be fun for the neutral spectator as there will be surprises aplenty and loads of teams playing with their heart and passion in this.

Netherlands are probably the best team which has never won the cup. Somehow, I think this may be the year to avoid that quarter/semi final choke which has plagued in the past. Besides, the Dutch fans have the coolest outfits.

Italy only wins about every 3rd cup (12 years). They won last time, so I'm not favoring them this year. (and I just don't like them :razz:)

Italian supporters would love that to be true. They won it the 2nd and 3rd times it was played but only twice in the last 60 years.

Let's hope it is a great tournament with the world's best proving that it really is a beautiful game! It's a long shot but my money is on a team from Europe or South America :lol:

I would love to see Ghana or Cote d'Ivoire (or another African team) make the final. That would be a truly awesome game ...

But to win? It could be Argentina's turn if they can only get over themselves; Brazil should be able to take it all the way, but have been a bit unpredictable. Netherlands or Spain could well go all the way, with Spain probably the favourites. I suppose I should back England, but after they needed not one but TWO own goals by the Japanese to beat Japan today - I just can't see it happening.

For football fans*, here are some great world cup goals from the past hosted by that veteran voice of football (John Motson) ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/worldcupmotty/2010/05/world_cup_motty.html

- the build up to the Brazilian goal (from about 4'10" into the video) is just poetry in motion - aaah at last the beautiful game comes back to us. Good for CBC for having the games on!!!

*sorry folks - I just can't bring myself to call the game "soccer"!

costumes.....

dutch-girls-03-500x425.jpg

2595095635_6434b55086.jpg

256430560_6cfdd801fd.jpg

sexy%20dutch%20fan.jpg

I HOPE THIS IS THEIR YEAR TOO :)

Netherlands are probably the best team which has never won the cup. Somehow, I think this may be the year to avoid that quarter/semi final choke which has plagued in the past. Besides, the Dutch fans have the coolest outfits.

Guest S***e

Yah, I know Lindsay. Hell, England just bearly pulled off a win against Japan (2-1). I hope this will be a wake up call. Who knows. My Irish ancestry has me pulling for Ireland, but they aren't in it. I just want to see some great football (soccer). It will be fun and there's always some surprises to be had, right?

England? Really? REALLY? Well, I'd rather them than Italy *running away now before I get lynched* :razz:

I'm converted...The Netherlands gets my vote! Orange Crush.

costumes.....

dutch-girls-03-500x425.jpg

2595095635_6434b55086.jpg

256430560_6cfdd801fd.jpg

sexy%20dutch%20fan.jpg

I HOPE THIS IS THEIR YEAR TOO :)

Guest s******ecan****

Brazil are the favourites but they're no sure bet and are in the toughest group.

England has assembled its best team in a long time, if (and its a big if) Rooney is healthy they could well go all the way. (I believe they only lost once in the qualifying stage)

Portugal barely qualified but did so by finishing strong, they are highly motivated and Ronaldo/Deco make a formidable combo

Germany has too many injuries I don't see them going far.

Italy is always a threat but lack a single dominating player this time around. As well their side is aging and its very difficult to repeat as champions. They also have one of the most gruelling travelling schedules of the top teams.

France is sending its weakest team in a long time an early exit likely awaits, they'll have trouble getting out of the group stage as they are in with Mexico and Uruguay.

Mexico had trouble qualifying but had a very strong finish, also they are led by a very inspirational Manager who has a knack for getting the most out of his players.

The US will be pesky and could pull off some upsets. As usual they are motivated and will likely play above their level.

No African country has the depth yet to challenge though they'll make tough opponents.

Netherlands as usual are sending a quality team but like Italy lack one real dominating player. Van Pierse is a highly regarded star in the English Premier league but is young and doesen't have a lot of fire.

Spain is loaded with talent but Torres and Fabregas have both been injured since April and its hard to see Spain going all the way if they're less than 100%.

However my pick is Argentina.

Argentina are very focused and Messi is arguably the best player in the world right now. Diego Milito is coming off a trmendous victory in the UEFA were he nearly single handedly led Inter to its victory. Carlos Tevez is a real competitor and leader who can be counted on to be in the thick of things.

Whatever the result, its going to be grand! Goooooooaaaaaaal!

My heart so desperately wants England to win, I don't know for sure if it would happen, but there is always hope! Of course after today's disaster against Japan, not sure how they are going to play in the tournament. As for Pele's prediction of Argentina winning, he should stick to shilling his face on products! Despite having the best player in the world in Messi, they don't stand a chance. I won't pick who is going to win the tournament, but here is my final four...Brazil, Spain, England and Ivory Coast.

Italy? Honestly it would be amazing if they did but repeats are damn near impossible in this neck of the woods. I'm going with England/Spain for the final

Guest S***e

Let the games begin! I'm definitely looking forward to them as they are a pleasant deviation from hockey.

Guest C****** K***e

I'm going to be in Italy for July, so I expect I will make that my country to cheer for. I'm excited to experience World Cup Fever...and compare it to Stanley Fever!!!

(Personally, I'm cheering for k'naan...)

There is nothing equal to the excitement of the world cup. Not the Stanley Cup, not the Superbowl.

Depending on when in July you're going the cup may be won and the major festivities over. Either way, have a blast and if you see Totti, kick him in the nards for me! :-)

Posted via Mobile Device