Two interesting games tomorrow, I think Germany will put England out of their misery. But the Argentina Mexico game promises to be interesting. As a betting man, I would put my money on Argentina to prevail, but Santos and Vela will cause more than a few tense moments for a suspect Argentina defense.

Germany will win for sure. But not by a lot, I think there'll be some good back-and-forth. But England just doesn't have it in them this year.

My money is definitely on Argentina. Didn't Vela get two yellow cards? For some reason I had it in my head he was sitting this one out. Hard to keep track with so many card-happy referees in past games.

Posted via Mobile Device

Didn't Vela get two yellow cards? For some reason I had it in my head he was sitting this one out. Hard to keep track with so many card-happy referees in past games.

Posted via Mobile Device

Nope, The team rested him last game so he would be available for Argentina. But I agree, yellow cards have been a little to frequent. the worse being the official from Mexico, he totally ruined the Spain Chile game.

I'm not great at predicting soccer "matches" But the team and Country I'm going to cheer for of course is my birth Country-Netherlands!

GO ORANGE!

NED.jpg

Me too..and proud to be Dutch!

I think they might pull it off this time.

Damn! Looks like the wrong Mexican team showed up.

Heads up to Germany, the Argentines have as much shithouse luck as you do!

The Germen were good vs. English.

The Argentines are good too vs. Mexicans. Now 3-1.

This qauarter final will be a classic.

If it wasn't for that bullshit offside goal, the Mexicans wouldn't have been so disheartened, and I think they would have brought more of a fight. There's no denying Mexico was dominating out of the gate, but a bogus call can really take its toll on a team's emotional state.

A similar story with Germany vs England. Though unlike the Argentina/Mexico match, we all knew who was going to win. But it still made the English team flustered and disorganized on the pitch.

Posted via Mobile Device

Officiating errors happen. In these two cases, I think the better teams won.

I agree the Mexicans would have had a fighting chance if the first goal had been disallowed. They had bad luck today.

The Germen were more fluid and organized. Their attacks were always dangerous.

There was no doubt of the German attack - especially with Urzil and his breakaways. And yes errors do happen. But there is no excuse for Fifa's lack of technology - especially when some referees and linesmen make painfully obvious errors in judgement. Why an offside wasn't called, for example. The linesman has to shoulder responsibility for that. Some errors are harder to spot, like the Lampard goal, but still should be reviewed. It takes 10 seconds to watch a replay (often seen on the screens in the stadium). Fifa is running out of viable excuses for not utilizing technology that will ensure the fair play they pride themselves on.

Posted via Mobile Device

There was no doubt of the German attack - especially with Urzil and his breakaways. And yes errors do happen. But there is no excuse for Fifa's lack of technology - especially when some referees and linesmen make painfully obvious errors in judgement. Why an offside wasn't called, for example. The linesman has to shoulder responsibility for that. Some errors are harder to spot, like the Lampard goal, but still should be reviewed. It takes 10 seconds to watch a replay (often seen on the screens in the stadium). Fifa is running out of viable excuses for not utilizing technology that will ensure the fair play they pride themselves on.

Posted via Mobile Device

Absolutely. There is more the 4th official can do other than organize the subsitutions the teams on the field want to make.

How did the the ref know in the last world cup final that Zidane head-butted Materrazzi when he didnt see it? it was because of the 4th official intervened. how long did that take? easily less than 10 secs. Which they can always add to the additional minutes before each half is over.

Its really not a case of technology anymore its more about what cases the 4th official can intervene that seem very debatable at the point in time of occurrence.

For on-field issues yes, get the officials working more, but I still think (and I am a long shot from alone on this) that Fifa needs to use replays for goal-line issues. But they don't because it's technology and they are determined to keep the game traditional. Which is bollocks because every other sport is still traditional and has a heap of cameras. They don't even need to add cameras - the intense media coverage is plenty. Just have a little tv with a little control panel to control replays and an official parked in front of it to review offsides, dives, and iffy goals. A whopping 10 - 20 seconds delay to have a lot less controversy.

Posted via Mobile Device

Congratulations to the Argentina and Germany wins. Both were the better teams. Look forward to watch Argentina vs. Germany. This should be a good match.

Ditto Brazil / Netherlands. I'm pulling for Brazil and Germany. But who knows, these are two matches that truly are evenly matched overall.

Posted via Mobile Device

Hopefully, we see Brazil advancing to the next round at the end of this game.

Chile is doing well, but it's Brazil they're up against. Mind you, it has been a year of upsets.... hell of a match so far, though!

Posted via Mobile Device

Chile is doing well, but it's Brazil they're up against. Mind you, it has been a year of upsets.... hell of a match so far, though!

Posted via Mobile Device

There does not seem to be any upset today. Brazil will eliminate Chile with a 3-0 win.

It's what we all knew would happen, but ya never know for sure. I almost feel bad for the Netherlands having to face the titans of the sport. Ditto Ghana facing Argentina. The giants aren't invincible, but they're damned close!

Posted via Mobile Device

Not so much a prediction, more comments on what I've seen so far.

Before it started I was hoping for an Argentina v Spain final on the basis that both teams have lots of fire power and it could possibly produce a goal-fest (within the limits of a football game) and with beautiful, silky football.

Argentina are producing, no question about that. Even if Messi hasn't scored his movement and link play creates so many chances for others. He is an absolute marvel with the way he can stumble yet still recover his balance and keep the ball - he's not one for diving which I really admire.

David Villa is in good form. Fernando Torres is struggling a bit because he was out with injury in the weeks before the tournament. If he regains full match fitness Spain will score more goals.

I'm impressed with Germany. This is a far different Germany from any I can remember for a long, long time. No longer just efficient and disciplined but now fluid, imaginative in their attacking play with a creative midfield and on-form strikers. The defence is a bit suspect.

Brazil are also playing differently than they traditionally do, much more disciplined but with enough creativity to break and score. The discipline comes from Dunga who was defensive minded and a completely uncompromising tackler in his playing days.

The Netherlands are looking OK. They haven't yet sparkled for me and I think they are struggling to play as a complete team. Maybe not that Arjen Robben is back they will start producing some magic.

I would love to see Ghana make it through to at least the quarter finals. Africa has produced so many world class players and it would give the continent a huge boost if Ghana were to go through. And who knows????

When it's all over I think I will actually miss the vuvuzelas!!!!!

Just reading the latest comments (Lindsay, you def know your football - I may have to make a date just to talk footie! ;) ) - anyways, this is one very disappointed England fan - they just didn't show up, and although 110% in agreement in the bad officiating and need of replays, as at least one astute person noted, it wouldn't have made a difference in the end -Germany was the better team and would have won either way, Lampard goal or not.

That being said, i too look fwd to some upcoming Great matches, and personally am rooting for the "under-dog" and sole surviving African team, Ghana!

Heston

Odds for Ghana to win this tournament is 1/25 to 1/37. They fair better than Paraguay and Japan.

I think you will find that little Ghana has a whole legion of fans now, if not for the talent on the field, for being David versus a series of Goliaths.

That being said, although I will be cheering their efforts against Uruguay, I really don't think they can hold up against Uruguay and then the winner of Brazil/Netherlands.

Wow, you guys are really hanging in there. I haven't been following it that much, but I still think the guys from the Netherlands are the cutest.

Does that count?

Just reading the latest comments (Lindsay, you def know your football - I may have to make a date just to talk footie! ;) ) - anyways, this is one very disappointed England fan - they just didn't show up, and although 110% in agreement in the bad officiating and need of replays, as at least one astute person noted, it wouldn't have made a difference in the end -Germany was the better team and would have won either way, Lampard goal or not.

That being said, i too look fwd to some upcoming Great matches, and personally am rooting for the "under-dog" and sole surviving African team, Ghana!

Heston

Heston, I was thinking the same thing about Lindsay and the game but I'm not so disappointed. I don't recall a really good England performance with both Lampard and Gerrard playing together. There's a lack of other quality midfielder players so Capello had a difficult decision to make and it didn't work. Rooney never played well but he didn't get the service either because the midfield guys think they can score all the time. It seems that there was more team spirit with Terry as captain (although I will admit to being biased on that). Ferdinand and Gerrard don't seem to have what it takes.

It's Germany for me now and hopefully there is some truth to the rumours that Chelsea have put a bid in for Ozil and Mueller :bowdown: