dry scalp...........

any ideas how to clear up dry scalp.? I have tried everything......

thanks,

Big Al,

thanks,

Big Al,

coconut oil ? ask at the Indian grocery.

thanks,

Big Al,

What have you tried, exactly?

Big Al.... change your shampoo and conditioner. It could just be that you have built up a sensitivity to the stuff that you are using now. It won't be immediate but in the long run, you will be much much better off!

thanks,

Big Al,

It's all natural, and will clear up dry scalp, and make your hair soft!

I've tried tea tree oil, changing shampoo's, olive oil, medications, going to doctor's and a dermatoligists, they have no answers............

I do get a dry scalp once in a while and the only thing that I found was a shampoo called NIZORAL, it contains tar and it solves my problem. Might not be recommended for everyone and there are some side effect like headaches and itchy scalp and such but not on everyone.

I use Neutrogena (original, not the mint one), it works well for me. I've also learned that I need to be very thorough when rinsing... I have to be really careful to rinse all of the soap and conditioner out completely.

If you have dry and/or sensitive skin, any soap or chemical film left there can make it worse.

Hi, Al!

Most shampoos contain a laurel sulfate compound. LS is strong enough to de-grease an automobile engine. Try Just soap for a bit and see if that helps.

I do get a dry scalp once in a while and the only thing that I found was a shampoo called NIZORAL' date=' it contains tar and it solves my problem. Might not be recommended for everyone and there are some side effect like headaches and itchy scalp and such but not on everyone.[/quote']

I found Nizoral to be very effective in resolving my dry itchy scalp. I do believe it is not a tar based product. The active ingredient in Nizoral is Ketoconazole which has a few side effects but as a benefit it has a stimulatory effect on hair growth.

I did about a two month daily usage of the Nizoral and then after, used Head and Shoulders daily with a once a week Nizoral treatment and it worked great.

There can be many causes to dry scalp, but one of those likely culprits is the shampoo you use. I agree that any sulphate (which is essentially a salt) is not so good for your scalp - or your hair. There are lots of natural sulphate-free shampoos on the market, I suggest trying those. And try washing your hair every second or third day. This will help keep your natural oils in balance.

Also, have you considered it may be psoriasis or eczema? They normally affect people on places where the skin is a bit thinner (hands, elbows, etc), but an old friend of mine would get it on his scalp from time to time. Stress usually is the trigger for a flare-up.

Definitely check out natural remedies! They're more effective and they won't pollute our water basin with weird chemicals!

Do you also have dry skin or is it only your scalp? Either way I highly recommend taking omega 3 fish oils.. krill oil esp if you can find it. Your skin is actually your largest organ including your scalp.

But the suggestion to avoid regular shampoos are good as well.. but I'd suggest using a natural soap as regular soaps also contain toxins. either the health food store, the super store natural section or the bulk barn carry glycerine soaps.

Alternatively you can actually use a shampoo made from borax and water believe it or not. you can use citric acid and water (available also at the bulk barn) to rinse your hair.

The absolute best way though is to moisturize yourself from the inside.. fish oils are the way to go. Your skin is just expressing in most cases what's going on inside you.

Ok, I know it sounds weird, and yes it's a "native" medicine. Bear grease is exactly that, bear fat that has been rendered a bit. I wish I could find some, but you have to actually go out and hunt one.

Additional Comments:

If ANYONE knows where I can find some RESDAN, please let me know. I have a family member that wants to get some.

Ok, I know it sounds weird, and yes it's a "native" medicine. Bear grease is exactly that, bear fat that has been rendered a bit. I wish I could find some, but you have to actually go out and hunt one.

Additional Comments:

If ANYONE knows where I can find some RESDAN, please let me know. I have a family member that wants to get some.

Angela... I just did a GOOGLE search on Resdan... bad news. They stopped making that in North America about 5 years ago... you might have to do a trip to Holland to get some.

Angela... I just did a GOOGLE search on Resdan... bad news. They stopped making that in North America about 5 years ago... you might have to do a trip to Holland to get some.

Ah geez! Might just have to import some then:-(

Additional Comments:

I'm sorry, Angela, not to poke fun at you, but I almost peed my pants - go out and hunt a bear!! Priceless!

I'm sorry, Angela, not to poke fun at you, but I almost peed my pants - go out and hunt a bear!! Priceless!

Where the heck else do you think it's going to come from? :lol:

No gun here, need more then a .22 to take one down

thanks,

Big Al,

I use castor oil, but its a trial and error ,, you also might want to see a dermotologist to make sure it's nothing serious.

Where the heck else do you think it's going to come from? :lol:

No gun here, need more then a .22 to take one down

When you visit the Yukon next, maybe you can "bag a bear". When I lived on Vancouver Island as a kid, bears would routinely invade the garbage bins on the airforce station were posted to. When they became too much of a nuisance, they were hunted. I can still remember these awful images of bear carcasses hanging from these makeshift huts where they would skin them.

I still shudder at the thought.

When you visit the Yukon next, maybe you can "bag a bear". When I lived on Vancouver Island as a kid, bears would routinely invade the garbage bins on the airforce station were posted to. When they became too much of a nuisance, they were hunted. I can still remember these awful images of bear carcasses hanging from these makeshift huts where they would skin them.

I still shudder at the thought.

No thanks, tried bear sausage and it was kina gross. I just need the grease, that's it :???:

thx everyone for your ideas.. I will try some of them out...........

Hey Big Al... I would really like to talk you out of killing the bear.... heheheheheheheh