How do you people do it????

I just woke up my bestest friend from a nap. I honestly CANNOT nap! I lay down and the next thing I know I have missed a whole afternoon! Please, there must be some pointers out there for successful napping. Give me the secret...please!

I just woke up my bestest friend from a nap. I honestly CANNOT nap! I lay down and the next thing I know I have missed a whole afternoon! Please, there must be some pointers out there for successful napping. Give me the secret...please!

Megalicious, you know the secret ;). You mentioned it earlier...lol!

All that sex this morning must of just worn you right out. It was the most orgasmic,erotic,sensual morning of love making.

So my answer would be, stop having sex with Pete in the mid morning :) LoL -WRONG freaking answer!

You deserved the nap, and you needed it, after all it was very tiresome, but so grrrrrreeeaaaattttt!

Thanks Sweet Meg!

There is a discipline. I succumb to ignoring it from time to time, but some of the most wonderful naps last only about 20 minutes to 30 minutes.

The secret? The first time that you wake up, get up. Don't roll over and go back to sleep.

When you wake up after 20-30 minutes you will experience about a minute or two of grogginess, but after that your energy will return. You should be good for the rest of the day and evening. Instant and glorious rejuvenation!

Don't get down on yourself for having the mega nap... we all take advantage of a lazy day. Those two and three hour naps are fantastic!!!!

You are quite welcome sweetheart! it was a sensual pleasure :) as always:bowdown:

Ah, Petey, Petey, Pistol Pete thank you :)

Just take a 20 minute nap and shut the world out completely like turning off the phone and closing the blinds. Avoid eating before taking a nap.

Read this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Power-Nap

As a former soldier I have no problems napping. You nap if you can, because who knows when you'll get a chance to sleep. I would go usually about a week without sleep when in the field as long as I could get about 3 to 4 10 minute naps a day I'd be fine. Now whenever I take my lunch at work, I'm out for the last 15 minutes, then good to go until the end of the day! :)

I always nap with my cell phone. Before hitting the sack, I set the alarm on my cell. Once I get up, I don't have the problem falling back asleep.

I always nap with my cell phone. Before hitting the sack, I set the alarm on my cell. Once I get up, I don't have the problem falling back asleep.

Meh, I don't need an alarm. I just wake up after about 10 to 15 minutes. The good old Royal Marines still have me conditioned!

It is easy; you can do it to.

Like you at one time I had a difficult time having a nap. If I did, I overslept, awoke groggy and couldn't sleep that night. I found the answer quite by mistake.

Sleep deprivation ! Work hard all day long; a combination of mental and physical work is best. Reduce your sleep time to 6 hours a day. After a few weeks, reduce it to 5 hours a day.

Keep up the pressure so that you need to wake-up to do the things that ' need to be done , and wouldn't get done without you.'

Then 3 or 4 days a week reduce the sleep time to 4 hours a night. At this point you don't have to work the other 20 hours a day, probably 18 hours is enough, take 2 hours a day for yourself as chill time. It will feel great!

After a week or so of this you will find you can drop off any chance you have. As long as you keep-up the self impossed pressure you will find you can limit the nap time to 15 minute, 20 minutes, half an hour or 45 minutes and still wake-up refreshed and ready to go.

Here is the bonus. On the weekend ( atleast one day) you can allow yourself to sleep until 9:30 or 10:00. It will feel decadent and you havn't wasted your weekend by sleeping it away.

Oh yeah , vitamins. Get yourself a good multivitamin, and supplement it with extra B vitamins. I tried to live this life style at university but nobody told me about the vitamin thing.

I've been living like this (and some would despute that it is really living) for a few years now. I nap at the drop on a hat. I can sleep in a vehicle whenever I'm not driving and fall asleep in under 10 minutes. I can sleep lieing, or sitting and have trained myself not to sleep while standing. If I'm driving, and feel tired, I simply pull over and nap for 15 minutes and the I'm good for another 4 hours. I look my age ( sleep deprivation doesn't do anything for yours looks) but act 10 years younger. I get more done in 24 hours and subsiquently have a little more money than I would otherwise.

Now you have every justification in saying' it isn't worth it!' To which I say, if you can't nap you are getting too much sleep.

You may say that living like this will lead to an early death. Possibly; at which point I will catch up with you in the 'big sleep'. If this doesn't happen then you have slept away more of your allotted three score and twenty than you should have.

You might think that I must not appreciate sleep. Not true. There are few that enjoy sleep more than I. What I don't enjoy are the minutes/hours spent waiting to go to sleep and believe me , I don't have many of those.

In jest and in truth .... Chavez

I'm not much of a napper per se, but when I do I find 20-40 minutes about right. I tried something I had read about before my last nap, I had a cup of coffee just prior and then awoke at about 35 minutes raring to go. The theory is have a cup of coffee and the full effect of the caffine will take 30 minutes give or take to kick in which will coincide with the end of the nap and away you go.

I did like it!

Peace

MG

My dad taught me this. The secret of the power nap is timing. Keep it short. Too long and you start entering deep sleep mode and that's when you get groggy. The perfect naps leaves you refreshed and not groggy at all.

No more than 20 minutes is about right. When I started learning how, I set an alarm for 25 minutes. This gave me time to get comfy, relax and drift into a light sleep. When the alarm goes off, up you get. If you feel groggy, shorten it a couple of minutes next time. After awhile, you won't need the alarm.

Meg, perfect timing, you're in luck. Psychology Today just posted a how-to guide for you. Check it out:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/minding-the-body/201006/ultimate-napping-how-guide

And for those debating whether napping, coffee, or just more sleep at night is the best way to combat afternoon drowsiness. Science says the nap is your best defence. :D

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sleep-newzzz/200907/nap-vs-caffeine-vs-more-nighttime-sleep

Thanks for the links bewlayb - great info.

I like to nap on weekends, but I tend to do the 1 - 2 hour thing... and then, of course, I wake up all groggy and end up staying up late.

I think I'll try that 20-30 minute nap. I feel great after napping, but always feel like I've wasted my valuable time-off sleeping (especially when the weather's so nice!)

Maybe if I can master the quick power-nap I'll get the boost without the messed up schedule... Hmm... It would be awesome if I could actually train myself to wake up in 20/30 minutes and nap a bit at the office - I can totally relate to that after lunch "dip".

Morning Meg

drink three or four large glasses of water before you lay down, then for sure you will be up in no more than 30 minutes!!

:69:

Excellent idea. And water is healthy.

Meg,

Here is a few tips that work for me. I don't guarantee results for you.

1. Do not for goodness sake go to bed, that never works. Find yourself a comfortable chair or couch. Anywhere but the bed.

2. I know some people like to read before bed, however when napping I find that thinking about anything is counter productive. I do however recommend what ever music you find most relaxing.

Tip number three most important. Make sure your warm (almost hot)

in my experience these tips never fail but then I'm kind of strange :-)