Kathleen Wynne still has concerns about prostitution law

Guest Lo***si*****e

Kathleen Wynne still has concerns about law

(via CBC News)

April 9 2015

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne says her government's review of Canada's new prostitution law may have found it to be constitutional, but it hasn't "entirely" alleviated her concerns about the law.

After the federal law came into effect in December, the premier said she had a "grave concern" that it would not make sex workers safer and asked the attorney general to do a constitutional review.

Wynne said earlier this month that the review concluded there was "no clear unconstitutionality," but the attorney general would not divulge her staff's reasoning.

When asked today to elaborate, Wynne said the review did "not entirely" alleviate her concerns about it and Ontario will be monitoring its impacts.

She says she understands Ontario must uphold the law, but at the same time the province will keep an eye on it and meet with affected groups of people to hear their concerns.

The sweeping new changes to the way prostitution is regulated in Canada follow a Supreme Court decision that found the old laws violated the rights of sex-trade workers.

Original article here.

If your elected to a position of leadership and you have "grave concerns" about a law you are responsible for administering then you don't monitor it to see how dangerous it makes life for sex workers you take some action.... perhaps you act on the side of caution and refer the new law to the supreme court as it appears they are the only official body in the country that understands the problem.

Ms. Wynne... you were elected to provide LEADERSHIP let's get started with that.

Just my Opinion

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

Elections coming might be an issue I guess? Yes, that must be it... Let's not make enemies. At least, until then...

The essence of political power is in fact knowing when to use it... I highly doubt that this will be an issue in the upcoming federal election... the conservatives have appeased their right wing base with the new law and the Liberals and NDP Will not take up the fight for fear that the conservatives will bury them with negative ads about supporting human traffickers and child abusers... the recent national bust will be all the proof they need.

In my opinion this is the perfect time Wynne to refer the law to the courts and actually make a difference in the debate... To do that she needs to show leadership.

Just my Opinion

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

Hmmm, isn't it strange how, when an issue of morality or the public good is on the table it causes "grave concern", but when a politician slips their hand into your pocket on a two billion dollar proven ineffectual tax grab, they act decisively and strike like lightening? If someone pointed out the tax benefits of a new and more appropriate law, THEN we might see politicians act.

• Like 1