Interesting characters around town

There is this really cool, older punk guy I see around town. He's always got super tight jeans and a pair of chucks and his hair is usually dyed some bright, neon colour. Anyway, I just think he's rad.

Also, does anyone know what happened to the guy who used to sit behind the Chapters on Rideau and write poetry on bits of cardboard? If you gave him change, he'd write you a poem. I liked that dude.

Also, does anyone know what happened to the guy who used to sit behind the Chapters on Rideau and write poetry on bits of cardboard? If you gave him change, he'd write you a poem. I liked that dude.

He was/is very talented. I gave him twenty bucks one night and he wrote two of the most beautiful pieces. I only wonder what could have been if he had a publisher - or did and left.

Maybe he migrated? In BC we would get a lot of street people for the winter. Or maybe he got a job at Hallmark? :-P

Posted via Mobile Device

1. The multicolored guy: Gaunt Haitian guy in home made shoes (tape and plastic bags) and a home made suit (matching pants and shirt) made out of some fuzzy multi coloured striped material. Usually seen carrying a sign about the end of the world. A couple of winters ago I felt so bad for him, I offered to take him up to Zellers to buy him some boots. He refused saying that the good lord would provide.

I saw him last summer at Starbucks at Laurier and Elgin. Same idea: Off white shirt / coat and feet wrapped in plastic.

I dropped a five dollar bill on his table and he gave it back, saying he didn't need it. Have not seen him since.

RD... I don't see him as much as I did. The white suit is his summer garb; the multicoloured is thicker and more suited to cooler times. I did see him a couple of weeks ago at Metcalfe and Slater so I do know that he is still out and about!

The Stomper

Does anyone remember this guy? He was usually at bus stations, I always saw him at Place D'Orleans & Glocester Center. I was a rebellious teenager at the time so I would do silly things like smoke in and around the bus shelters. He would come up and stomp on your feet if you were doing something that you werent supposed to.. .ie smoking in the bus shelter.

I have seen him come up and wag his finger in peoples faces for playing their music on their walkman too loud. And the whole time he doesnt talk. I havent seen him in about ten years. I dont take the bus anymore, but I often wonder if he is still around.

He was/is very talented. I gave him twenty bucks one night and he wrote two of the most beautiful pieces. I only wonder what could have been if he had a publisher - or did and left.

His name is Dave Dessler, I believe he signs his work "Crazzy Dave". A book of his work (with photos by Jean Bouley) was published last year, it is entitled "Mindlessly Adrift: My Ottawa Streets". I've seen it for sale at Piccolo Grande on Murray (the owner is the financial backer behind the project). I think it is $40. Hopefully the proceeds have given him the ability to move on from the streets.

How about this gentleman ? I've seen him on the bus and downtown, on occasion. Likely a street person. Long, almost pure white/greyish dishevelled hair and beard. Frumpy attire, but nothing really noticeable other than the 2 inch+ nailson every finger. Assumed they must've been fake glue-ons or some other type of purchased finger nails, but came to realize they were real. I mean, super long, perfectly manicured natural nails that would likely make any woman jealous. He's got to spend some considerable time with an emery board. Saw him again this week at a bus stop on Slater st. Seems he's gotten them trimmed down significantly, recently. Thank God! I was hoping to avoid a potential or eventual icky creep factor should a young lady with similarly long nails were to tickle/graze/massage me in certain areas with.....yeesh!(.shudder.).

Anyhow, despite his many years, he seems a gentle and quiet man who, given a little clean-up, would potentially draw in clientele with his obvious skills and patience in a manicuring salon. Ladies, think of the fascinating stories he'd likely have for you while giving you a stellar nail treatment.

How about the old friendly guy who wears big hats, I used to see him a lot on Bank Street but not in the past while. You know the one, big outrageous novelty hats, saying hello and have a nice day to everybody?

He was featured in the paper. He's on disability but panhandles to supplement his income. He often wears a big "Cat in the Hat" hat and always says, "how about a smile?" Drove me crazy when I worked at Queen and Bank.

Here's a picture of Old Dog seen spotted leading a lynch mob on Parliament Hill.

mel-gibson-braveheart-photograph-c101019223.jpg

Additional Comments:

I seriously doubt it.

The sun did an article on one of the more successful hobo's in ottawa, named Mark, earlier this year. Mark rides around on his bicycle. You may have encountered Mark yourself and know of whom who they speak. Marks way of panhandling is unique to most hobos.

He always remains polite and vigilant and ends his interactions with "god bless you"

One person he approached told him to "f**k off" and he simply smiled and said god bless you. Before walking away he pointed out that the mans back tire was almost bald, in thanks, the man gave him $5.

He makes 50-60k a year panhandling (jeeze eh) and stays at a buddies house 2-3 days a week helping him, since he's physically disabled, in exchange for this time there.

Gives a whole new meaning to "working on the streets".

Here's a picture of Old Dog seen spotted leading a lynch mob on Parliament Hill.

mel-gibson-braveheart-photograph-c101019223.jpg

Additional Comments:

Gives a whole new meaning to "working on the streets".

Hey!!!! I have had a haircut since this was taken... and I am using a better quality paint that really makes my blue eyes "pop"

Dapper old man on the market. Must be about 100; dresses in a mis-matched suit, hat and cane and openly oggles the young ladies.

I can picture many of us doing similar in a few years ........ most of us here already have the ogling part down pat! Hell, nothing like stationing yourself near a busy part of town and enjoying the sights.

LOL I saw the disco dancing walker too.

Posted via Mobile Device