Notice of sent pm's are going to be automatically purged.

Many accounts seam to have very FULL sent item boxes so I have turned on a feature on the system that will remove all "SENT" pm's after 30 days of sitting in your sent pm folder. I think by cutting down this excess amount of storage it will help prevent future issues (and make the backups of the database substantially smaller - therefore making them less prone to not backing up completely).

A lot of this is just growing pains for the site.

• Like 6

Guest W***ledi*Time
... I have turned on a feature on the system that will remove all "SENT" pm's after 30 days of sitting in your sent pm folder...

Mod, it might be a good idea to issue a warning about this in the form of a mandatory-viewing post.

Good idea. I copied this to it's own thread and will make it a mandatory read.

It might be a good idea to also limit the in-box messages as well. 1,000 is too generous & unnecessary. I think 500 is still more than enough. (in-box & sent) A lot of us will fill-up our in-box & not delete messages because we can. Maybe start with new members & see how that goes.

• Like 2

New members have 100 spots... Sp's and Senior/elite members have 1000 (a lot less senior/elite/sp members) so that is not really a concern for space at this time... but not dumping your sent items folder is. If you create a new folder and mover anything you want to keep into the new folder it will not be purged from the script I just installed.

I applaud the efforts to keep things clean, however, in the future, you may want to warn people in advance of turning on such a feature in case there is something someone may want to keep or download somewhere offsite for whatever reason instead of just having things deleted on them.

uugh......the warning was quite prominent when I logged in a few days back. Won't let me continue until I read it.

It;s only your sent items folder... and most places don't store these. They are more of a pain in the rump for most of us as we have to go in and manually purge them. A option exists to download them (even to a spreadsheet format or txt file) so if for any reason you want them you can download them.. No idea why you would want then but go nuts.

I have said it before and will say it again... don't keep anything in the PM system that you feel is important enough that you would be lost without it. Make a copy (backup) offline of PMs that you want to keep...Same with posts. The site runs on a database and as we say last week.... when a problem hits the site we can loose data. We could loose members, posts, pm's, photos, etc... so make a backup.

Hello All,

I think 500 in/sent msgs is more than enought. However I believe we should have at least 60 days to decide what we would like to do with our emails. We are after all taking a hit on the account size. Just a thought " ) Cheers

Thank you for letting us all know, as well as keeping us informed regarding other important matters. The leadership of this site is greatly appreciated by this member.

I know for a fact that I keep all pertinent private messages and refer to them months after the fact of receiving them to double check and verify questions and information regarding potential new friends.

Personally, I really like having a large send/sent box to refer to past requests. At the same time, I understand the limits the site can take. Thank you for your service and diligence; I appreciate it.