Danger! Facebook gives away SP identities to strangers!

Thanks for posting. This is why I refuse to have anything to do with Facebook on my phone. It's so creepy how everything is tracking us at any given time, and people are giving that kind of power away willingly. This can translate poorly for clients too.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure if either parties don't post their cell numbers on Facebook, there wouldn't be an issue.

I've been on Facebook for quite a long time, and NEVER posted my phone number on it, and I still don't have it. not like I have something to hide, but I just prefer its not on there.

• Like 2

Everyone should read this article. Facebook is like Big Brother. Doesn't matter if you're logged in or not, they track you. It's spooky, and frankly I don't like it. Sadly there's not too much you can do about it other than quit Facebook altogether. But there are some helpful browser plugins for Chrome and Firefox to help.

http://lifehacker.com/5843969/facebook-is-tracking-your-every-move-on-the-web-heres-how-to-stop-it

To be honest, I am shocked that there are still people who aren't aware that both Google and Facebook are at full-tilt Orwellian levels of monitoring users.

Oh, and for those of you with Google smartphones... GoogleMaps tracks your every move. Unless you disable not just the "your location" thing, but also disable any apps from tracking your location.

http://www.howtogeek.com/195647/googles-location-history-is-still-recording-your-every-move/

Technology is amazing. It's also fucking terrifying. Get educated, folks. Then get proactive!

• Like 8

Each time that you download an app on your smartphone, it asks you to accept several conditions, which usually are very scary, because it means that this app will access ALL your private information on your phone. If you do not accept these conditions, you cannot download an app. So yes, Facebook, Google, everybody is watching us! Phaedrus (Lyla member for those who don't know) had once informed us of this website below for social media that has the opposite philosophy to Facebook regarding privacy, protection of your information etc... So if you still want to enjoy a social media platform without having your information stolen, you can switch from Facebook to Ello:

https://ello.co/beta-public-profiles

This said, in this technological era, I think that it is pretty impossible to have our information completely protected. Unless we live as hermits in the woods :-(

• Like 4

Yes, this is a huge problem. Really, the only way to keep part of your life removed from the data-mining of FB, etc is to keep it *completely* separate especially where phones are concerned. Phaedrus has his own phone, email, Twitter, and there is absolutely no overlap between those and my real-life self.

I alluded to this problem somewhat obliquely in the thread we had not long ago about giving personal information to people for screening, or whatever. Although I trust the people I choose to see to be discreet with the information I have, I consider the various apps that they may be running on their phones to be malicious, and I'm pretty sure that almost nobody really knows what those apps are hoovering up or what's done with the information. I also don't trust things like 'do not track' requests; I have no faith that these are respected. Realistically, if you use things like FB then you're going to be tracked, and the only winning move is to not play.

Another thing for phones: GPS and wifi can be used to track your location. If you care about this, turn off unless you're actively using them.

And Ello... it was specifically set up as reaction to this sort of crap; but like all social networks it's no good unless you have a critical mass of friends there.

To the OP: honestly, I think the best bet here if this sort of thing happens again is simply to delete the number and move on. I understand trying to help, but as you've discovered it's likely to end up in drama.

The worst thing is when people send out mass emails and put "all" in the address.

Get email at work from "xxxbustyladiesxxx" Oh yeah very funny.

Always have all hobby stuff on my tablet now with it's own specific email and isp.

Used to get cold calls and sexts from ladies too, that's why I stick with a couple of professionals who understand discretion.

I hope my stupid mistakes save you from learning the hard way. LOL

I'm pretty sure if either parties don't post their cell numbers on Facebook, there wouldn't be an issue.

I've been on Facebook for quite a long time, and NEVER posted my phone number on it, and I still don't have it. not like I have something to hide, but I just prefer its not on there.

i don't know why more people don't just exercise even basic precautions, such as what you are doing. for me, i do not have an advertising sp FB account, and i do not have a ph# in it, and i do not friend people i don't investigate first and i do not click on any suggestions FB may make that doesn't also include why fb is making the suggestions, as in 'this person has 3 mutual friends' with you, then i will look at their name, if nothing pops up, that is the extent of my interest in them. all settings are private friends only

my real life fb page does not have face pics of myself, my alternative life fb page does not have any links to my real life or face pics of myself.