What would you consider as a bad area not to visit?

I'm in the process of hopefully moving in the next two months and was wondering what parts of Halifax would you not like or prefer not to visit for in-service?

This is not to single out any areas because of what you see on the news, it's just a general question and would be an apartment building.

I'm not from Halifax, but visited there when My sister was posted with the military. She always told me that anywhere near the bridges was bad - whatever that means.

For Halifax I would say it is all nice, maybe avoid some parts of the following: north dartmouth, spryfield, fairview. All have nice parts, but if the person doesn't know the area or went down the wrong street it could be a little intimidating. The southend around the schools is a bit pricey but a really fun part of town. Added bonus is boneheads, their barbecue is delicious. That said I would still recommend the area around the commons. It's a super fun place to live: island Greek, propeller brewery, the paragon. Nuff said.

Oh and sorry for the capitalization, I'm on a handheld.

Posted via Mobile Device

I'd reccomend against gottagen st(got a gun) Its not all bad in the north end, some freinds used to live in an older building there across from propeller beers old brewery, then again it was within site of the 5oh station.

I'm not from Halifax, but visited there when My sister was posted with the military. She always told me that anywhere near the bridges was bad - whatever that means.

I know what she meant by that...

Additional Comments:

I'd reccomend against gottagen st(got a gun) Its not all bad in the north end, some freinds used to live in an older building there across from propeller beers old brewery, then again it was within site of the 5oh station.

I would never move on that street but I use to live by the Citadel on Brunswick St. and that was fine.

I'd have serious reservations visiting some areas of north end Dartmouth, as well as some areas in north end Halifax. Again, notice I said "some", since I realize I'm painting with broad strokes here, and do not wish to color people's perception. In general though, most areas in HRM are ok. Which area were you thinking about, Lexy?

Halifax:

Gottigen Street

Lower North Street

Creighton Street

Agricola Street

Federal Avenue

Spryfield in general

Dutch Villiage Road

Fairview in General

Mulgrave Park area (Lower Barrington Street)

Dartmouth:

North End (Jackson Road, Highfield Park, Primrose Street, Albro Lake road, Victoria Road, and the area behind the Dartmouth Shopping center opposite the Macdonald bridge) These areas are said to be tragic.

Dartmouth East area: Churchill Drive, LakeCrest, Caledonia Road.

For Halifax I would say it is all nice, maybe avoid some parts of the following: north dartmouth, spryfield, fairview. All have nice parts, but if the person doesn't know the area or went down the wrong street it could be a little intimidating. The southend around the schools is a bit pricey but a really fun part of town. Added bonus is boneheads, their barbecue is delicious. That said I would still recommend the area around the commons. It's a super fun place to live: island Greek, propeller brewery, the paragon. Nuff said.

Oh and sorry for the capitalization, I'm on a handheld.

Posted via Mobile Device

Dartmouth and Spryfield are out of the question as it is too far from my family and I don't know the areas well at all. The South End is on my list. Thank you.

Additional Comments:

Halifax:

Gottigen Street

Lower North Street

Creighton Street

Agricola Street

Federal Avenue

Spryfield in general

Dutch Villiage Road

Fairview in General

Mulgrave Park area (Lower Barrington Street)

Dartmouth:

North End (Jackson Road, Highfield Park, Primrose Street, Albro Lake road, Victoria Road, and the area behind the Dartmouth Shopping center opposite the Macdonald bridge) These areas are said to be tragic.

Dartmouth East area: Churchill Drive, LakeCrest, Caledonia Road.

Dartmouth was off my list and most of the places you named in Halifax also. Funny how that worked out. Thank you. I'm just wondering what is wrong with Dutch Villiage Road?

Additional Comments:

I'd have serious reservations visiting some areas of north end Dartmouth, as well as some areas in north end Halifax. Again, notice I said "some", since I realize I'm painting with broad strokes here, and do not wish to color people's perception. In general though, most areas in HRM are ok. Which area were you thinking about, Lexy?

I was thinking either South End, West End or if need be Clayton Park. It needs to be a high rise building and I also have to take parking in to consideration. I've seen over 10 places now and they were not up to my standards for a place to call home. Thank you.

I'm just wondering what is wrong with Dutch Villiage Road?

I'm wondering the same thing... While I don't know Dutch Village Road that well, I know that it borders on the Lacewood / Clayton Park area where I recently purchased an upscale condominium.

Dutch Villiage Road has a "notorious" reputation. A lot of bad stuff goes on everywhere, yes but - this area (Dutch Villiage is a connector to all the REALLY bad areas from The strip mall on the Clayton Park line downward (Main ave, Rufus street, Titus, Frederick, Vimy Ave, Rosedale, Central Ave, Melrose Ave, etc). It's a very bad hood. CLayton Park also has known cold spots that are not the safest place to venture either, such as a large part of the area where Lacewood/Dunbrack connects with Fairview.

I refuse to go to Spryfield, Fairview, or North dartmouth. Shit, I don't even go there in the daylight. None of my interests rests in those hoods.

Dutch Villiage Road has a "notorious" reputation. A lot of bad stuff goes on everywhere, yes but - this area (Dutch Villiage is a connector to all the REALLY bad areas from The strip mall on the Clayton Park line downward (Main ave, Rufus street, Titus, Frederick, Vimy Ave, Rosedale, Central Ave, Melrose Ave, etc). It's a very bad hood. CLayton Park also has known cold spots that are not the safest place to venture either, such as a large part of the area where Lacewood/Dunbrack connects with Fairview.

I refuse to go to Spryfield, Fairview, or North dartmouth. Shit, I don't even go there in the daylight. None of my interests rests in those hoods.

I see. I have lived here my entire life and am fully aware of the streets/areas off of Dutch Villiage. I just basically want to get an idea of where people who would like to see me would not feel uncomfortable going.

Guest isla*****d

I heard that both Halifax and Dartmouth are bad places to live, so I think you should just move to PEI :)

(Just kidding, I would move to Halifax in a heart beat if it wasn't for my job - but I would have to get a cottage on the sandbar for the summers :) )

if u mind your P's and Q's it dosent really matter where u live.Some hoods are going to be more tolarant then others.Its not like Jane and Finch or East Vancouver

• Like 1

I have to say HFX fella you gotta REALLY good point there. (As I laugh my arse off here in the process).

Very true. East Vancouver. Shit. That's where people get shot while they're getting shot.

I've lived all over Halifax, and I really can't complain.

Trouble is best found on the ground floor in my experience; best suggestion I can make is, if you're looking to keep people from being scared off, the South End/downtown is always going to be your best bet.

Turning it around, I think the best area is as close to the downtown core in Halifax as you can get. During the workday that greatly increases the numbers of professional men that can arrange an appointment. An hour appointment plus a 10 minute travel each way will be workable far more often than a 30 minute commute LOL

I think choosing a location is important for a number of reasons. The not wanting to be in a bad area is a major one of course. If you are planning to do incalls there are considerations there as well. Nosy neighbours could make things difficult. Teddybear has a good point about being downtown and the potential for the "business lunch". Having some parking for the "guests" may be a factor in choosing a location. Also if you are planning to do outcalls to hotels it may also be more convenient to near the majority of them.

The downside to being downtown is that rents are more likely to be higher than other areas.

Best of luck on finding a good spot.

I think choosing a location is important for a number of reasons. The not wanting to be in a bad area is a major one of course. If you are planning to do incalls there are considerations there as well. Nosy neighbours could make things difficult. Teddybear has a good point about being downtown and the potential for the "business lunch". Having some parking for the "guests" may be a factor in choosing a location. Also if you are planning to do outcalls to hotels it may also be more convenient to near the majority of them.

The downside to being downtown is that rents are more likely to be higher than other areas.

Best of luck on finding a good spot.

The absolute best incalls from a clients point of view are ones in walking distance of downtown or with a short drive with nearby parking. Residential with nearby businesses can be great as then if we are early, we have a place to kill some time and also for guys that need 'discretion' there can be reasons to have been in the neighborhood, In other cities I have seen ladies in high end condo buildings that could access the buildings lobby security cam before buzzing you up. I though this was a nice added safety factor

Overall, any reasonably nice place will get lots of clientele if its closer to downtown.

I think you should go with your gut (Dartmouth) and not let anyone else tell you where to live. (Dartmouth) Just pick the first place that jumps to mind. (Dartmouth)

;)

not sure what some people are talking about. fairview is fine except bottom of main ave really. there are sketchy buildings everywhere in the city. top of fairview there are some new buildings off dunbrack that are nice. anywhere in dtown and north end are fine except creighton, maynard area, mulgrave park and uniacke square, all a bit sketchy but i've walked thru all these areas in the middle of night with no problems. dutch village rd is fine as well. there's quacks everywhere, even south end. you can recognize the seedy buildings as soon as you go in. old carpet, shitty elevator if any, sketchy old buzz codes. next to metro center 1881 brunswick is ok, parking sucks. underground round back. corner of summer and spring gardens has a nice building. friends live there that are lawyers. really nice. i've been here for 13 yrs and i've had my windows smashed more times in the south end than in the north end. been in fairview at a house of dutch village and have had no issues what so ever. its residential neighborhood, most are home owner and kind of look out for each other. quick to get on bridge, 103, 102 highways as well. dunbrack to northwest arm drive to highway is easy even in rush hour. hope this helps. spryfield is fine too, you can tell the sketch areas....no matter what area u pick, just stay away from an area when u see a bunch of the same looking buildings all clumped together that look a bit outdated. just look for some relatively new buildings. i also find some of the new buildings and highrise you can here noise thru the walls easily, so do a noise test when viewing. i could here the couple above me easily when in the building in south end of barrington and inglis and it was only 2 yrs old at the time. post a want ad on kijiji and you will get some calls from landlords that are cherry picking tenants. most of these places will be nice. check out rentalwizard.com, corrine is her name and cool. pad picker, etc. hope this helps, good luck.

This has been quite difficult as I have a list of needs and wants also. Like I said I have lived here all my life and don't want to move where anybody would be uncomfortable visiting me. At the top of the list is me and where I am comfortable being.

I will take in to consideration all of your suggestions and go from there. I thought picking out new furniture was going to be a task:???:.

Wow! I have just moved to Halifax, and did not know any ares were bad! Thanks for posting this,as I have been jogging downtown Halifax at night. Maybe best I find a new spot.lol

Wow! I have just moved to Halifax, and did not know any ares were bad! Thanks for posting this,as I have been jogging downtown Halifax at night. Maybe best I find a new spot.lol

All areas of downtown Halifax are not bad, some people just don't understand what they don't know or have never witness or been around and really if someone is a nut and out to harm someone they could be in the riches part of the city. Those crazies are everywhere, regardless of where you live, jog or go.

The time of day doesn't seem to matter for some crazies. Easier at night to harm some yes but they do it in the day too.

Do be safe and if you have head phones/earbuds in remove one, you don't want anyone to sneak up on you and I would change up my routine or places/times I jog every day.

If you need a jogging buddy let me know. I'll happily drive along side you as you jog and that way I can run over anyone who tries anything weird. I'm nice like that.

• Like 1

So here I am again at square one, Have Mercy!! I see many SP's moving to Dartmouth but I am still hesitant to set up a new play home there only because I don't know the good areas and the distance it is from my family home. My place DT Halifax was very discrete but not perfect, I made it my own and all about me and it showed the different sides of me.

Where are the good areas in Dartmouth? I'd rather stay in Halifax because that is where I have lived my entire life.

Big thanks in advance,

Lexy