Gender equality on the front lines

I'm all for gender equality (I couldn't give a shit if the Prime Minister and all the CEOs in Canada were female...wouldn't affect my life at all), now let's get the front line soldiers who are getting killed 50/50!

I don't see why the folks dying to "fight for our country" should be predominately male.

If we're going to someday see legislation where 50% of CEOs, or 50% of elected officials, or whatever, must be female, then let's see the same rules apply to front line soldiers.

Geez...is right. Women and children have been dying as the consequences of front line soldiers for millennia without any need to be on the front line. Maybe if there were more women in those positions of power we wouldn't need questions like this.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 6

Where did you see a proposal mandating that 50% of CEOs and elected officials be female? I don't recall seeing that. I have seen people remark, and find it odd myself, that women tend to be underrepresented in positions of authority, compared to their percentage of the general population.

And "fighting for our country"? We don't need to fight for Canada. At least not at this time. And if the US's and UK's recent misadventures are any indicator, fighting isn't really going to be an effective response to unrest elsewhere in the world. About all anyone can be shown to be fighting for are military-industrial complex profits. IMNSHO, anyone would be a fool to fight and possibly die for that. Male or female.

• Like 3

Guest *Ste***cque**

You can't mandate what someone's job will be, although some would try. Didn't they try that in communist countries? You will deliver mail, you build cars, you join army?

It's about simple freedom of choice. If you want to be a CEO, you should be allowed to have a chance at succeeding, assuming you're qualified. Same goes for the armed forces and fighting on the front line. If you want to do that and you're qualified, why not?

I recommend you watch American Odyssey from the beginning, and get an idea of woman on the front lines extra special dangers for being female, American and a soldier, in certain countries.

in any case, there are probably fewer females in the military because they don't make it thru basic training, where they are, apparently, often sexually assaulted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_assault_in_the_United_States_military

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/military-releases-report-on-sexual-assault-in-its-ranks

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/one-in-13-female-canadian-soldiers-sexually-assaulted-but-number-may-be-higher-1.1961912

one of those links indicated a woman in the military was more likely to be assaulted by a fellow soldier than be killed in combat,

• Like 6

front line soldiers

You are obviously not a front line soldier.

I was one.

I don't want to see any of them killed, male or female.

• Like 3

Well maybe if less women would be killed for the simple reason of being a woman, there would be more female soldiers available to fight for the 1% white elite class. Nothing about this war going on is for protecting and fighting for our rights, it's all about money. There are no heroes in war, only victims.

556827_371093646285514_733039433_n.jpg

Also, did you know that a female soldier has more chances to be raped and abused by her own fellow solders than on the ground by the "enemy"?

Ever heard of a thing called refugee camps? These camps are filled with widows and orphans, with no food, water or medications. Mothers get raped or killed while going out in the field to get water for their kids. What option would you choose? Going on a mission or starving in a trash? Do you believe their conditions are better?

In order to reach a fair balance, you should pray for less male soldier killings instead of wishing for more female soldiers death.

• Like 3

Lithuania sees Putin invading Ukraine and has a right to be worried.

Latvia and Estonia are also openly takung defensive actions.

As for front line actions, if you haven't tried it STFU.

Lithuania sees Putin invading Ukraine and has a right to be worried.

Latvia and Estonia are also openly takung defensive actions.

As for front line actions, if you haven't tried it STFU.

No, I haven't tried it, but I don't see why conscription should be gender-biased in this day and age. Do you?

The Baltic states have nothing to worry about as they are NATO countries and Russia isn't stupid enough to engage NATO head to head.

Ukraine, on the other hand, being non-NATO, is up for grabs by Russia. Russia can take the parts of it which are pro-Russian and get things done much quicker than 10 years of referendums would. I personally support the pro-Russians in the east of Ukraine as that is their will, their right to self-determination. The pro-Russians in the east are defending themselves against their own country, which is attacking them.

You will note that Viktor Yanukovych was a democratically elected leader until his position went too pro-Russia, then the US orchestrated a coup d'etat which put Poroshenko in power. Many Ukrainians, seeing what he has done to their standard of living, are now becoming alienated from the west and are becoming more pro-Russian.

• Like 1