I know your thinking what is this rant about, but relax this time it's not.

After another interesting day of travel I am faced with the question of Why is it? when seniors are talking, that the topic of conversation is always "did you know so and so died" or did you hear so and so is going to pass".

Why after an eventful life and a very eventful society, why do elders/seniors seen so concerned/preoccupied with who has died and who will die?

No I am not eves-dropping, it is just that when you are surrounded by others it is hard not to pick up even part of the conversation.

In reality I am just curious....As one day that will most likely be all of us.

Guest S**a*Q

I think I'd be the same if I watched my friends around me get older and die one at a time. :( I think cause it's something of a reality, more than it would be to someone in their 30s... Perhaps they talk about it so that they can make themselves more prepared for that.

I also think that too many people forget about the elderly in their lives. We put them in places and forget about them. We don't really give them anything to think of that's cheerier than who's passed on. :( It's sad to say but I think that it's true.

makes you wonder

but when we were young it was look at that girl/guy

next who,s going out with who-

then it was -look who,s getting married

-which progressed to -look who,s having kids

then look who,s breaking up

-then look who,s sleeping with whom

and then look at the grand kids -

look at my health and i guess finally look who,s no longer here-

is it just the passage of life itself

good question !

• Like 2

I agree with Renegade. It is purely our social nature. Perhaps, it is the news/events of sort that is most interesting among our friends.

makes you wonder

but when we were young it was look at that girl/guy

next who,s going out with who-

then it was -look who,s getting married

-which progressed to -look who,s having kids

then look who,s breaking up

-then look who,s sleeping with whom

and then look at the grand kids -

look at my health and i guess finally look who,s no longer here-

is it just the passage of life itself

good question !

Agreed. Pretty much what is occurring among the particular age groups that is what will be discussed i guess.

I think Renegade is very smart. Not only did he give a good answer to Em's question by saying its a natrual passage of life... he also got a "Aww..that is so sweet" out of her. I am very impressed!

Guest s******ecan****

Just wait until the facebook generation starts dying off.

At my work there are a lot of women having babies (so many that our floor has been renamed the Maternity Ward, and NO, I have not had anything to do with it!) Coincidentally a number of us guys were remarking last week that all they talk about is the other end of the life cycle from what Emily mentions.

Back in the 'old' days before internet and twittering and the like, people actually talked with each other.. face to face.. Not only was it a social thing to do, it was a way of exchanging (and sometimes furthering) tidbits, and news on births, deaths, anniversaries, celebrations. Speaking face-to-face, feedback on your words is immediate and usually honest.

While technology has made it "easier" to communicate (cellphones, email, stable long distance connections, etc), are we sure anyone is actually listening???? :-)

CM

Many people are afraid of talking about death.. but when you get closer to it I think you become less fearful of it. I recently watched a documentary on Lilydale which is a town about an hour west of Buffalo which is full of mediums. I'm fascinated by that kind of thing. It was on TMN and it's called ''no one dies in Lilydale''.

view the trailer here http://www.trailerspy.com/trailer/10373/No-One-Dies-in-Lily-Dale-Trailer

Old people talking about death and dying?? It's about a diminishing circle of friends and the regret of not spending time with people.

Think about it... your circle of friends are a group of people (large or small) that share a common bond with you. Every time one of them dies, your circle gets smaller and more important, the recollection of your common history gets diminished. So when the last buddy that you went to school with dies, that part of your history dies.... there is no one left to laugh about your past or share the poignant points of life... it is really a scary thing, probably more scary than death itself. Your own death is an acceptable part of life, it's the thought of being the last one standing that is truly frightening.

Yeah, when I was a young woman, I remember chuckling when we had to an intervention of sorts on our boss to get reading glasses because we told him his arms weren't going to get any longer. Now I have invisible progressives.

I used to hear my mom and her friends talking about hot flashes. I thought that ocurred when you removed the lid from a boiling pot too fast.

And tweezers are now my best friend.

I was commenting to Chanel the other day who I have known since the late 70s that the conversations we had then, in our 20s', 30s', etc. have changed remarkably.

As has been commented above, the conversations you revolve around what your reality is for that time of your life.

Fruit for thought for the Future: Rocking Chair SPs...

the Future: Rocking Chair SPs...

Can we make them like the sex swings? or perhaps have the zero gravity sex chair built into the rocking chair?