Hello Lyla!

I'm posing the question: where is the best place to get auto insurance from here? (I'm in Toronto) In B.C. there wasn't much choice, as ICBC has the monopoly!

Cheap rates are wonderful... but if something were to happen, how easily do they pay out?

I have been with RBC for home\auto for several years because of good rates. They also have an accident forgiveness provision for the first mishap.

• Like 2

I've been with Co-Operators since I began driving when I was 16

I'm happy with them...any claims I've had quickly paid.

And with the en route program plus some other discounts, my premium is reduced $258 for a six month period

RG

• Like 1

Guest P*rry

I'm with the Co-operators for car and home. There have been a few claims over the past 20 odd years. They have always made me feel satisfied with no complaints.

Odette, I think you are smart to seek service and not rate recommendations from others. Do your own shopping around for quotes, as everyone's situation is different and will be evaluated differently by each company. Up until this spring I was with Belair Direct for seven years. I was very happy with their service and responsiveness, but (reluctantly) moved on when their rates became less competitive. Prior to that it was Aviva for several years, which was also a good experience.

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies; i'm quite overwhelmed with all the options out there! It will be interesting to see what incentives are offered to me. I have a good driving record. Desjardins and Allstate were recommended to me. Does anyone have any experience with them? Are there any particular companies that I should avoid?

Guest *Ste***cque**

I would also recommend a broker as most have access to several insurance companies and will do the shopping for you to get you the best price within the companies they sell for. They are also typically smart, small business owners who value every client.

Huge call centre bank style insurance operations typically see you as just a number. Their staff insurance knowledge is sometimes questionable. If you have to call back you will never get the same person you explained your situation to already and will have to repeat yourself again. If you no longer fit in their box, you are out. If you have a dispute, there is no one to fight on your behalf who knows the insurance business and how it works. The main thing call centre type operations offer is price, and quite often their price is no better than a brokers.

Think of insurance like a parachute. Do you really want to buy the cheapest one? Good luck with your search!

Going through a broker was the best way to do this, for me! Everything was thoroughly explained, and I *think* i'm with a good company. I was under the impression that insurance rates were higher here, but my cost is actually a few dollars lower here for essentially the same thing, with added value.

• Like 1