A Rant RE: Texting And Cellphones While in Company of Others

This has been bothering me lately but I have found that people I have come into contact with recently have become very rude. All they seem to do is text away while you're trying to have a conversation with them so I stopped speaking and the room went silent and then they were forced to say something. Or what really upsets me is when people leave their phones on during an encounter with an SP or client and they let it ring and ring and don't consider turning the ringer off. In some instances they have gotten up while being in the middle of an appt and actually answered the phone. Yes, I was appalled!! It seems as though they are having a relationship with their blackberry or cell phone and don't care to have interaction with others. Next time you're texting in the company of others, take a minute to think about how it affects others. The person who I once highly regarded I now consider pretty rude and self absorbed. It isn't always about business. Think about how it is affecting your current business and personal relationships. End of rant....

• Like 3

I have the same feeling.......so here is what I have done...

In meetings I start by indicating that if you have personal communication devices (PCD) that you turn them off...if they look at them durning the meeting I stop the meeting like teacher does and bring attention to that person.....then if it happens again I will either cancell the meeting right on the spot and minute the interuption of that person.......

I have let people take thier PCD into the hallway...then locked the door and they are out of the meeting.......

I do not let people say they missed something or that it was not said because they were not paying attention....

in my personal life I politley ask that the PCD be turned off so we can interact or be civil......it works well.....I have walked out of a friends house when they invite me over and then spend time on thier PCD.......if you invite me over then you want to interact with me....if you want to interact with some one else...invite them....

growing up...alot of us survived and made it through the day easily without these devices.....so we can easily do without them while we are with other people.

Now..if yu ask me to turn mine off...forget it...heheheheeheh:butt:

I usualy turn my BB off(the ring), in front of my guest, and ask them to do the same thing... But lately, I had gentlemen saying straight NO, or lying to me, telling me it's in the car and next thing you know, IT RINGS!

This is one of the biggest turn off ever... I don't mind you using it while I'm in the shower or whatsoever, but please, show a little bit of respect and turn it off...

if it is on vibrate I will strap it to my ass and have it on constant redial from my office............:bddog:..........bzzzzzzzzz.....bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........bzzzzzzzzzzzzz

People do develop relationships with their communication devices. If you were to ask them if they have names for their devices they might think you weird. But if you ask them not to answer a ringing phone, watch the reactions. Even if it is not their phone.

if it is on vibrate I will strap it to my ass and have it on constant redial from my office............:bddog:..........bzzzzzzzzz.....bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........bzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thank you for the laugh. That was the funniest thing I have heard all day!

It seems to me people who have this type of addiction to their devices are indeed self absorbed. They don't get enough attention to feed their ego inflation and need gratification from whomever might call or text them.

I notice it often when I'm out and about just walking down the street. Someone will be talking loudly on their cell phone and then pass me talking so loudly in my ear about their private convo.

They don't even realize anymore that their personal conversation is so loud that I can hear their half of it. I was in a bathroom at a bar recently when a woman was doing exactly that in the stall next to me! It was freaky when I realized she was on the phone and not talking to another girl outside the stall.

I've always found the louder the person on the cellphone is talking the more self-important that person is. Nowhere is this more prevalent than airline lounges.

But I agree with all - either turn the phone off during an appointment or leave it in your car if you don't want to turn it off. It's so very rude to be interrupted by a ringing/vibrating phone.

Guest c******n****h

My pet peeve is playing golf and having one of the group constantly with his head down working away on his BB. No interaction, adn it usually ends up slowing the group down. If you are that busy, stay off the course, or let me kow you will be buried in your device and I can find someone else to golf with. I enjoy the banter on the course andif you can't participate, find someone else to golf with.

You Foxx you...LMAO just loved this!

Just came across this pic and thought of this thread :).

text.jpg

Guest ***s

Great point Nicolette,

I have been lucky with my clients ... they all seem to be respectful of the whole "turning off cell phones and enjoy the ride" idea ... However i have to admit - at times I forget to turn mine off and as soon as it rings ... I'm the first to say "I'm so sorry - how rude of me!"

I like threads like these - it kinda acts like an FYI to some that are new to the hobby, as well as a reminder to those who just aren't getting it ;)

Tess

I never bring my cell phone to appointments, it is my time,no interruptions please and thanks! I could care a less if who is trying to get in contact with me,or the lady I'm visiting.

Who ever maybe trying to contact either of us, can freaking wait after the hour or so. :wink:

Okay, I have two points here. First anyone who's stupid enough to spend time on his cell phone when in the company of one of these beautiful ladies, has serious mental defects. Second, most of us who have PCDs, also have voice mail, so we are not really out of touch even if the phone is off, as far as text messages, they are simply delivered a little later. They are in absolutely no excuse for rudeness. Very few people actually have my cell number, and that's so when it does ring, I know it's somebody important enough to answer. They all are also aware, that if I don't answer, I'm either away from the phone, or busy, and will call them back as soon as I can. (Right now my phone is on the charger, and I can't reach it) that's an example of away from my phone.

An idea I like to use is telling people the hours during which I am most likely to answer my phone. I realize for some of the ladies this might not work because of booking flexibility, but for me it does cut down on annoying interruptions. These are just my ideas on the subject, I hope somebody finds them at least moderately useful.

TOO FUNNY... Good one antler man!

Posted via Mobile Device

Additional Comments:

Just came across this pic and thought of this thread :).

text.jpg

Hahaha, very funny but sadly true...

Posted via Mobile Device

I was in waiting room at the doctor's the other day and this woman was there with her partner and while he's reading a book, she's having a completely casual conversation with someone on the cell phone. It was so irritating. The waiting room is full of people, there are people sitting right next to her, and she's just talking away with no concern for anyone around her. If you must talk, go outside.

And the bus, oh god, the bus. Why do you have to talk on your phone on the bus? Can't it wait?

Just a side note....having it vibrate it's way across the dresser is just as anoying!

guilty... but didnt know it was mine...(was actually getting annoyed myself)...lol

With all this "need" to be on a cellphone and keep in touch, why is it, when I was growing up (back in the 70's) kids weren't lined up at payphones just to keep in touch?

Yes I have a cellphone, for emergencies pretty much, it's not a growth coming out of my ear

RG

I also have a cell phone, and it is not attached to my ear either. As a matter of fact it's semi-permanently attached to my wheelchair by Velcro. This means that it is actually impossible, unless I use a Bluetooth device, for me to have a private conversation on the cell phone. Since I lost the charger for my Bluetooth, I almost never talk on the cell phone. As far as texting goes, there are exactly 2 people in the whole world I text with any regularity. One is my father if I think he may be worried, or if I'm going to a restaurant, and think he may want food. The other knows who she is.

I actually find having a cell phone more inconvenient than helpful most of the time. If I didn't need one for safety reasons, (wheelchairs get flat tires, dead batteries, flip over, and all kinds of other delightful problems more often than manufacturers would like to admit) I wouldn't have one. Unfortunately I need a way to contact either my father or the appropriate authorities if something goes drastically wrong. In fact a couple of years ago, due to an equipment failure, I actually broke my leg while driving my wheelchair. Fortunately at that time I wasn't far from moms place, she happens to be a nurse and after looking at it sent me straight to my doctor. But, if I'd been anywhere else I probably would have had to call an ambulance. The moral of the story being that cell phones do have a useful purpose, it's when people forget that purpose, that they become the most annoying device on the planet. :-)

Guest s******ecan****

My crackberry is absolutely essential to my business as I would estimate 90% of contact with my clients and partners is done by email/voice. Having said that whenever I am at an appointment with a client, business partner or even a personal meeting (lunch etc) I always set it to quiet (no ringer or vibe). This goes for my SP appointments as well.

After all I'm not required to be on call for emergencies in my profession (lots of people in my business think we have emergencies but they have forgotten what that term really means LOL!). So there is nothing that can't wait 1-2 hours for me to respond back to.

PCD's have become like anything else we love....cars, cheeseburgers, the internet......we like 'em so we spend way too much time using them.

So let me see if I get this ... guys are on their PCD while with a lady, and in session? Now mind you, the client may have been a doctor in search of some stress relief and had to take that call about his patient.

So let me see if I get this ... guys are on their PCD while with a lady, and in session? Now mind you, the client may have been a doctor in search of some stress relief and had to take that call about his patient.

Seymour,

having had a great deal of experience with both doctors, nurses, and the inner workings of hospitals/clinics I find it difficult if not impossible to believe that particular story. For one thing, a doctor who is on emergency call, which is the situation to which you refer in your post would never make an appointment with a service provider, simply because of the high likelihood of being interrupted. The second problem with that theory is that most cell phones used for that purpose are owned and operated by the hospital or clinic in question. If a doctor is caught using them for any personal communication at all, let alone with a service provider while on call, at the very least he would be up for disciplinary action, and probably get fired for misusing hospital/clinic resources. Therefore, a doctor who is with a service provider, and on a cell phone, is more likely on his personal cell phone, and not checking on a patient.

• Like 1

Just saying one thing .. I HATE TEXTING & CELL PHONE

I agree, remember using a land line? or in fact a dime and use a pay phone.;-)