That entire race is rather scary. Imagine President Donald Trump or maybe even worse, President Ted Cruz. I sure hope they don't send him back to Canada. The right wing evangelicals seem to have a lot of control and that scares the crap out of me.

That Trump is still being talked about seriously, let alone that he's in the lead, both horrifies and amuses me to no end. This is the ugly end-game that the Republicans didn't foresee they were creating by courting the rightmost fringe of their base. Trump is riding a wave that is simpleminded and racist; a white base now deeply bitter that they've lost the center of the cultural stage.

I think people will probably see through Trump's dim-witted demagoguery in time for someone else to win the Republican primary. But maybe not. No worries; unless Hillary unzips her skin and reveals herself to be a lizard-person bent on conquering the planet, there's no way in hell Trump as a candidate wins the election. He can fool the Republicans who might pick him as a candidate when it's just them voting in the primaries; but he can't fool the majority of the nation as a whole, once Democrats and independents get to cast a vote too.

It's kind of fun to watch, because it's so clearly a case of the Republicans being, as they say, hoist with their own petard.

• Like 2

One part of me thinks that Donald Trump might actually be the leader that the US needs ... they might need to actually see what bad leadership looks like so that they start to demand better from those who choose to run for political office. But then I remember George W. Bush and the fact that he was elected for 2 terms they already should know what bad leadership looks like. Trump is playing to the very lowest common denominator in people...To their fears and to their growing distrust with politicians.

I tend to agree that once the primaries are over and party leaders are selected that mainstream Americans will not want themselves to be lead by Donald Trump but frankly the other choice "Hillary Clinton" does not exactly come off as a beacon of integrity. I look no further than the unbelievable stupidity of the usage of a personal home based email server when you are secretary of state... why was this necessary... what were you hiding and who were you hiding it from... did her political ambition exceed the basic need for security for the nation. So the Americans are in a very bad spot do I go for the buffoon or the idiot.... Let's be a good neighbor and let them have Steven Harper he is their type of leader and we have already decided we don't want him.

• Like 2

The fundamental problem here is that politics is becoming less and less a debate over ideas or policies, and more and more just another form of reality TV.

And so you get a reality TV star not only running, but doing well.

I think Trump could win: he's very good at figuring out what the mob wants to hear and delivering it. That's why the mob loves him so much.

• Like 4

It's really quite something when both Republican candidates, Donald Trump and Ted Cruz, are so creepy they almost make George W. Bush and Richard Nixon look pretty good :( Yikes!

• Like 1

It's really quite something when both Republican candidates, Donald Trump and Ted Cruz, are so creepy they almost make George W. Bush and Richard Nixon look pretty good :( Yikes!

That reminds me of the too-funny sketch Will Farrell did for SNL where he announced--after seeing the field of Rupublican candidates--that George Bush would be running for a third term:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3x5mB5hjyQ

But yeah, it's odd at the moment how the initial relief whenever Trump doesn't win a state is tempered by the fact that it only means Cruz did.

Luckily, current poll numbers show that either Clinton or Sanders have a very good shot at beating either one of them. Interesting, the one republican candidate that polls show would likely defeat the democrats--Kasich--is the one republicans don't seem willing to vote for. Go figure.

• Like 1