The future of retail

Guest *Ste***cque**

I had a discussion with a friend about buying a product locally. My point was that if it is available locally and was reasonably competitive in pricing(within 15-20%) why not support the local business? He said if he can save a buck by buying it online he'd be a fool to pay more. This from a "dyed in the wool" union guy! He seemed oblivious that his job could ultimately get outsourced to China, if you follow that cheapest price mindset to it's ultimate conclusion.

Hopefully many don't think the same way as my friend? Would you pay more from a local business most of the time if it was available and reasonably competitive?

I absolutely buy local whenever possible, and will always choose small businesses over the big guys given the choice. I fear I am an anomaly however as most of the people I know would sooner line up to shop at Costco, or buy on line than support their own local economy. They don't even understand why I am bothered by it. I'm the weirdo. All most see these days is the cheapest price at all costs regardless of where the money goes, or how many sweat shops it supports.

• Like 1

for food - I def try to buy local but electronics etc - I buy on Amazon.com.

I live very close to US border so I can drive to US in same time it takes me to go to Ottawa and there is a huge difference in price on most things be it tires or TVs even with crappy CDN $

Interesting question. My car is from a local small town dealer. My big TV unit purchased three years ago I got from a small independent locally owned store that has now gone out of business.

However, that being said, I HATE shopping. I detest it. I am almost a half hour drive from any store where I can even buy milk and bread so the thought of driving to Charlottetown to spend a day doing shopping errands is not a pleasant one.

Several years ago I discovered Amazon and I use it a lot. It's easy and usually includes free delivery right to my door at prices that match or beat the local box stores in Charlottetown. If I could get my bread and milk and groceries that way I would do that too.

I still don't get the idea of shopping being fun.

Guest *Ste***cque**

The marketplace is changing and price and online convenience seems to be the most important factors for many. Is no one worried about the much greater cost at the end of this road?

Most people don't think long term.

Most people don't think about anybody other than themselves beyond their immediate family.

People will drive their friends and neighbours into poverty to save a few cents.

It's probably the most obvious in small towns where people probably have a better chance of being obviously interconnected. A Wal-Mart or whatever opens up and everybody flocks to it and the local shoppes all go under. Even though people probably know the guy they're putting out of business, they still do it. They don't care.

Interesting question. My car is from a local small town dealer. My big TV unit purchased three years ago I got from a small independent locally owned store that has now gone out of business.

However, that being said, I HATE shopping. I detest it. I am almost a half hour drive from any store where I can even buy milk and bread so the thought of driving to Charlottetown to spend a day doing shopping errands is not a pleasant one.

Several years ago I discovered Amazon and I use it a lot. It's easy and usually includes free delivery right to my door at prices that match or beat the local box stores in Charlottetown. If I could get my bread and milk and groceries that way I would do that too.

I still don't get the idea of shopping being fun.

Depending on where you are, there are grocery chains that allow online shopping with delivery.

I agree with you that if things don't soon change then the world we live in is going to become a much different place, and not a better place. I do understand that sometimes there is extenuating circumstances and someone may not have the choice, but to use foreign markets, or have things ordered online. I do think that people need to start thinking about the future of our world and also the world they want to leave behind for generations to come. It is sad, but true, that the majority ( maybe not majority, but many ) people are beyond selfish and only care about what best suits them. Hopefully times change. Little things like buying locally would be a good place to start. At least then we could secure our employment for years to come.