Blue screen of death

I love my kids but damn they download everything. Anyway now I have this crap called system tool showing up. It says there's something trying to get cc info off my computer. All the usual ways to get rid of a virus won't work. The system tool thing won't let it. In order to get anything to work it seems I have to buy the system tool. I won't. Anyone know anything about this infestation of system tool? Tool not tools.

Posted via Mobile Device

Do you have the blue screen now? Have you tried starting your computer in safe-mode. Download Super Anti Spyware and Malawarebytes Anti-Malaware if you can open your internet browser. Then don't run them but restart your computer in safe-mode (press f8 while your computer is starting), then run the programs. See if that works...

Hi Emma

I had a similar incedent a couple of years ago. Try as I might I couldn't get rid of it, so eventually it was such a nuisance, I backed up my machine and reformated my hard drive.

I love my kids but damn they download everything. Anyway now I have this crap called system tool showing up. It says there's something trying to get cc info off my computer. All the usual ways to get rid of a virus won't work. The system tool thing won't let it. In order to get anything to work it seems I have to buy the system tool. I won't. Anyone know anything about this infestation of system tool? Tool not tools.

Posted via Mobile Device

You are doing right by not buying into that sh!t. I had one computer do that to me early this year and got it removed by an expert the less you start your computer the better. I would let an expert remove it as soon as possible.

I've tried to download an anti- virus but as soon as it is almost complete that's when I get the blue screen...I can't even go into safe mode...I guess my little lap top is screwed...:-(

Guest S*rca****sid

It might be easier to save all your important files and reinstall windows.

Then make sure you have a separate login for your kids so that they are not able to install anything that you don't know about.

If you feel adventurous, give Linux a try instead of Windows. If you have any questions about it pm me.

Seems like you have Scareware to me. Something along the lines of AntiMalware Doctor or AntiVirus Pro

Additional Comments:

Both easy fixes of course....and don't buy that crap stuff they want you to buy....they just want your cc info while the scareware sits dorment in your comp and will come back. Deleting the registry keys and a few other minor details of course....can be tricky if you're not comp savvy.

I had an issue similar as well, I wish I could blame it on my kids but mine are of the 4 legged variety and I don't think they were using the computer (on the computer is a different story :roll: ).

I also wasn't able to boot up in safe mode but I was able to boot up using Knoppix which I used to pull all my important files off (hoping they weren't infected!) then I did a fresh install. In the end it took less than a day and was free. If you aren't familiar with Linux ask someone to help you navigate it so you can quickly and easily find your files and load them onto a USB stick so you can reinstall later.

Good luck! :)

Guest s******ecan****

Get the following

1 Priest

2 vials of holy water

1 hammer

1 eye of newt

find a King James version of the bible and randomnly open to any page, close your eyes and select any passage with your finger and begin reciting

get the priest to repeatedly turn your computer on and off while flinging the holy water around the room

If this doesen't work you can always use the hammer

Guest p*****1*3

If you do reformat and reinstall and you only have one computer then setup different accounts for your kids which prevent them from installing programs ... (i.e. do not give them admin rights.)

Try Comodo. I also have PC Tools Spyware Doctor and AVG. All can be found at CNet. I have never had a prob using these programs. Does not slow your comp down and is configurable.

Also, create accounts on your laptop with you as Admin and others as regular accounts. You can control what they are allowed to access and do to the laptop. Not parental control...more IT control. lol

Emma, you need to delete the program from your PC's registry. That will solve your problem.

1. Go to Start, Run, and type regedit.exe in the text box.

2. Now go to Edit, Find and type the program name in the search box, then press F3 to search. (In your case it would be System Tool or whatever)

3. You will find various items with the name you typed in. As soon as you find one related to the program (you will have to make sure it is really related to the program, so that you don't break anything), delete it (press the Delete key). Press F3 to search for another item, and stop when there are no more items to remove.

Emma, you need to delete the program from your PC's registry. That will solve your problem.

1. Go to Start, Run, and type regedit.exe in the text box.

2. Now go to Edit, Find and type the program name in the search box, then press F3 to search. (In your case it would be System Tool or whatever)

3. You will find various items with the name you typed in. As soon as you find one related to the program (you will have to make sure it is really related to the program, so that you don't break anything), delete it (press the Delete key). Press F3 to search for another item, and stop when there are no more items to remove.

That is not the best advise. Please do not just edit your registry and if yo do you need to back it up first.

Your registry is not that simple and you could easily end up doing more harm then good. If you edit your registry (and this should only be done by someone with advanced computer skills) you need to first EXPORT your registry into a backup file.

DO NOT EDIT your registry before first backing it up by using the EXPORT feature... and if your unsure about manually editing the registry - Don't do it.

Programs can mask/hide themselves in the registry and you can end up removing PART of something and leaving behind a MESS ((or worse - remove something vitally important))

... FYI: Most of the registry cleaners as well do more harm then good. When windows gets to the point that you need to "EDIT" your registry... it's time to back up your stuff, format and reinstall windows FRESH.

MOD is correct, editing your registry isn't to be done if your unsure of what you're doing. Backing up your registry is a good idea. To back up your reg:

Go to File and choose "Export". Save this file in C:\, naming it registry-backup, regbackup or something easy to remember.

That is not the best advise. Please do not just edit your registry and if yo do you need to back it up first.

Your registry is not that simple and you could easily end up doing more harm then good. If you edit your registry (and this should only be done by someone with advanced computer skills) you need to first EXPORT your registry into a backup file.

DO NOT EDIT your registry before first backing it up by using the EXPORT feature... and if your unsure about manually editing the registry - Don't do it.

Programs can mask/hide themselves in the registry and you can end up removing PART of something and leaving behind a MESS ((or worse - remove something vitally important))

... FYI: Most of the registry cleaners as well do more harm then good. When windows gets to the point that you need to "EDIT" your registry... it's time to back up your stuff, format and reinstall windows FRESH.

OMG Mod's right, with all due respect to WearAJimmy. Unless you know exactly what you are doing...don't.

I forget to mention that I also have Revo-Uninstaller which is a really souped up version of the Windows Uninstaller or the lame ones that come with software. Both will likely leave traces of the program etc in your Registry. Revo-U cleans up everything.

Your Registry is the Deity of your computer...don't mess with the gods unless you're a saint, or at the very least a guru! :smile:

Hey

Mod has it right back up your files on an external hard drive (documents data etc). Then collect your program files format your hard drive and reinstall your windows and program files. Get a good anti virus package install it then scan your backed up files then if they are clean transfer them back on.

You can spend weeks trying to hack around this thing.

For the kids if you can't get them off of your machine then create an account for them that does not have admin rights it will make it harder for a downloaded virus to take hold. We do that at work to protect our systems from children ( sales people and accountants). If you need any assistance or more assistance or some one to step by step it with you pm me and I will be happy to walk through it with you