Are you what you thought you'd be?

In my unending search for a career (any career), I always think back to what grand dreams I had for myself as a kid. At various stages I wanted to be a: paleontologist, lawyer, scholar of ancient Greek, pilot, police officer, political spin doctor, historian, marine biologist (a la George Costanza), an artist, and someone who works with old people. Due to a supreme lack of skill in almost all these areas, I have had to give up these dreams, though most don't interest me anymore.

I'm wondering how many of you had career dreams, however outlandish, and whether or not you achieved them? What did you guys want to be when you grew up? Now that you're grown up, have you found a good answer to that infuriating question, what do you want to be when you grow up?

My reason for being career-less? I have yet to grow up ;-)

xoxo Amelia

Hmmmm.

When I was a young kid, I aspired to be a caveman. No word of a lie. I figured it was a much easier lifestyle. I like meat, a lot. I didn't like to clean my surroundings. I thought that the whole dating thing was overrated, and using a club to get my way with women was preferable... not that I understood what having my way with women meant at 4 and 5 years old.

Between 6 -10 I was an aspiring lawyer/politician. I argued a lot. I was persuasive. Then I found out that going to law school was going to take a lot of work, and being an educational minimalist at the time, I decided otherwise.

My preteens and mid teens, I was an actor. I loved the stage. If there were auditions to take I would, and roles came my way. I won a few awards, and was recognized a bit locally and had mention nationally for a time. Then I realized that acting meant not eating. I like eating.

Late teens and university days? Teaching. I came from a long line of teachers. I worked at it, did some supply teaching, but then came she who stole my heart. She said to me, "I think you should stay in the area so we can be close." I switched my universities and dropped out of the teaching program. We broke up before the start of the school year.

After that??? I just wanted to be employed in something that interested me. I tried this and that, and about 20 years ago I found it. I was able to use my creativity, my ability to write and my sense of judgment... and I never looked back.

My future? I am thinking the caveman thing is looking pretty good again...

Excellent Topic Amelia....

When I was younger I really wanted to be a Politician (to this day i do not know why)

I wanted to be a Chef, and fell in love with pasty so I became a Pastry Chef, I ended up in my dream career making wedding cakes. The downside, having to deal with bitchy brides changing their minds everyday.

When I am ready to grow up I will have my Absolute dream career of a B & B and breed cats (yes I am serious)

one day....

When I was a teenager I spent my Summers working for a modelling agency in Manhattan, New York...I had dreams of being the next Devon Aoki but I never really ended up taking it seriously and my family didnt have much money to support my traveling etc.....so that eventually fizzled.

Then when I went to college I took Graphic Design and dreamed of one day having my own GD agency that also supplied large scale paintings...perhaps my own Gallery (that park kinda came half true as I still dabble...no gallery or agency yet though)

in the end though I just remember that if I was going to do anything I imagined myself being my own boss, working as a somewhat successful business-woman who dressed well on a day to day basis and her family was proud of for getting succeeding monetarily....that I would meet amazing people through my work and have the back-bone to stand up for myself when I mat the not-so-amazing people that I didnt need the business of.

I'd have to say....most of that last one came true ;) hehe

Excellent Topic Amelia....

When I was younger I really wanted to be a Politician (to this day i do not know why)

one day....

Emily I think you'd make a very convincing politician, what with that hot body of yours!

Additional Comments:

Hmmmm.

My future? I am thinking the caveman thing is looking pretty good again...

What's the cave real estate market like? I'd like to build a cave real estate empire- 'yes, it's a lovely open space an extra bedroom for the kids, and while it does tend to get dark at times there are many torch-holders throughout'

I'd miss sushi, though.

My biggest dream was to own my own clothing store. A real funky, cool place with lots of Depeche Mode playing and many one of a kind items. It could still happen but now my dreams have changed.

I spent 8 years in secondary educational institutions and was still floundering to find a career I loved. Finally, when I graduated university 2 years ago, I realized I didn't want to become your typical company 'yes woman'. So I quit. I then explored entirely foreign territory when I went to work for The Main Street Project. A place for the homeless, addicted and mentally ill. I loved it there. But alas, working in Social Services hardly pays the mortgage.

'Do what you love.' or 'Find something you're good at, and get someone to pay you to do it.' Commonly used advice like these phrases rang through my head. What was I good at? What did I enjoy doing everyday?

Needless to say, I got my answers about 2 years ago and haven't looked back since. I fully realize not everyone can do what we SPs do, but for me, it was an easy conclusion to come to. I love sex, I adore men, and I love dressing up in lingerie and gettin' all purty for them.

Who knows? Maybe I will have that clothing store in Osborne Village one day, but until then, I'm going to keep on doing what I love.;)

My preteens and mid teens, I was an actor. I loved the stage. If there were auditions to take I would, and roles came my way. I won a few awards, and was recognized a bit locally and had mention nationally for a time. Then I realized that acting meant not eating. I like eating.

hehe, yes one of the reasons I gave up on the modelling too was the lack of eating.....and being sent out of an interview and being told to come back when I lost an inch off my thighs. I like eating too :D lol

Guest s******ecan****
.... marine biologist (a la George Costanza), ....

Don't forget Architect...the classic Costanza lie.

It was once an ambition of mine too....never had the math skills or the artistic ones...

Lol I almost ended up in LE. Was almost a sure thing but my dad was dead set against it. He even sicked my big brother on me (big bro had much more influence at the time) so I dropped the idea.

What's the cave real estate market like? I'd like to build a cave real estate empire- 'yes, it's a lovely open space an extra bedroom for the kids, and while it does tend to get dark at times there are many torch-holders throughout'

I'd miss sushi, though.

The caves are harder and harder to find.... but when you get a good one you mark it. I have my eye on a split level with an open baking pit and ease of access to a stream, meadow, forest and public transit.

hehe, yes one of the reasons I gave up on the modelling too was the lack of eating.....and being sent out of an interview and being told to come back when I lost an inch off my thighs. I like eating too :D lol

It was fun while it lasted... but we do agree eating is good. My worry about eating was the time between roles... thus the end of that career. But you??? You are svelte.... damn I like that word.

Additional Comments:

I'd miss sushi, though.

The caves are harder and harder to find.... but when you get a good one you mark it. I have my eye on a split level with an open baking pit and ease of access to a stream, meadow, forest and public transit.

It was fun while it lasted... but we do agree eating is good. My worry about eating was the time between roles... thus the end of that career. But you??? You are svelte.... damn I like that word.

aw *blush* thanks sweetie! ;) svelte or not I'm still happier for getting work based on my inner self and my personality than my outer self.

My first recollection was that I was going to be an Eatons delivery driver. They had these cool little trucks and made home deliveries of anything and everything including one spool of thread that my mother ordered. No wonder their gone now lol

Then it was a social worker, but I'd would have had the sad cases living with me. Then a lawyer but it seemed like too much schooling. Ultimatley I worked in the food industry for more than 20 years became a meat expert and travelled north america buying meat for a restaurant supply company. Then the CEO of an environmental organization for the last 15 years. And all with my grade 12 education.

Now I'm sort of "semi-retired" and am looking at a new career and figure I've got one more in me and most likely in the not for profit sector. But I never thought I'd do what I did, so who knows what might pop up.

Peace

MG

I wanted to be a police officer when I was a kid. Unfortunately I grew up in a bad neighborhood and I ended up in the back seat more then I want to remember. I think that ruined my chances.

• Like 2

Another thing I wanted to be as a little girl was a ballerina. Unfortunately I have all the grace of a beached whale. Also, those pointe shoes do horrible things to your feet. But I sooooo love pink!

Another thing I wanted to be as a little girl was a ballerina. Unfortunately I have all the grace of a beached whale. Also, those pointe shoes do horrible things to your feet. But I sooooo love pink!

Good choice Amelia!!! I dated a ballerina for about a year after the divorce. She was the most beautiful woman BUT her feet were GROSS!!!!

Edited by Old Dog
tsk tsk... my spelling was atrocious!

When I was younger I always wanted to work with my hands for a living; something along the lines of a mechanic, carpenter or machinist. The more schooling I did the further I strayed from working with my hands and started using my head more. So now I just pretend I'm putting up dry wall when I'm beating my head against the wall.

When I am ready to grow up I will have my Absolute dream career of a B & B and breed cats (yes I am serious)

one day....

Em would have the best B&B in the land, no question. BTW there are lots of B&B opportunities around here

1. My first job was working in an Orange Juice factory,

but I got canned. Couldn't concentrate.

2. Then I worked in the woods as a Lumberjack, but just couldn't hack it, so they gave me the axe.

3. After that, I tried being a Tailor, but wasn't suited for it --mainly because it was a sew-sew job.

4. Next, I tried working in a Muffler Factory, but that was too exhausting.

5. Then, tried being a Chef--figured it would add a little spice

to my life, but just didn't have the thyme.

6. Next, I attempted being a Deli Worker, but any way I sliced it... couldn't cut the mustard.

7. My best job was a Musician, but eventually found

I wasn't noteworthy.

8. I studied a long time to become a Doctor, but didn't

have any patience.

9. Next, was a job in a Shoe Factory. Tried hard but just didn't fit in.

10. I became a Professional Fisherman, but discovered

I couldn't live on my net income.

11. Managed to get a good job working for a Pool Maintenance Company, but the work was just too draining.

12. So then I got a job in a Workout Center, but they said I wasn't fit for the job.

13. After many years of trying to find steady work, I finally got a job as a Historian - until I realized there was no future in it.

14. My last job was working in Starbucks, but had to quit because

it was the same old grind.

15. SO, I TRIED Retirement AND FOUND I'M PERFECT FOR THE JOB!

• Like 1

In my unending search for a career (any career), At various stages I wanted to be a: paleontologist, lawyer, scholar of ancient Greek, pilot, police officer, political spin doctor, historian, marine biologist (a la George Costanza), an artist, and someone who works with old people.

xoxo Amelia

Good questions Amelia - I believe you can do any of the things you list... and in a way.. are you not often working with old people now (ha)

To answer your question when I was a kid I wanted a career in the military, and that did not happen. so now I dream that when I grow up again, perhaps something in the way of landscaping or volunteering

I earned degrees in computer science and geophysics and while earning those degrees I learned to fly. Shortly after graduating university I saw flying jobs advertised with Virgin Atlantic and I applied and received a position with that airline. After 10 years I took another flying position, this one with Cathay Pacific. I was forced into retirement several years ago. I had no plans to become an airline pilot while in university but I thoroughly enjoyed the job. I still miss flying the big metal but having the freedom to fly my own airplane when I wish (and whenever weather permits) is a real perk of retirement.

Guest s******ecan****
Then it was a social worker, but I'd would have had the sad cases living with me.

I know a lady with an undergrad in psychology who used to to be a social worker in downtown Toronto. After 3 years she burned out and is now a part time crossing guard at an elementary school.

Guest f***2f***
"... my Absolute dream career of a B & B and breed cats...."

So just so I'm clear you want a place with lots of beds and pussys??:mrgreen:

Growing up, my dream career was to be a pilot in the military...and not flying fighters, I wanted to fly Hercules transport planes

But I have to wear glasses, nyet to flying in the military

So I still wanted to be in the military as a career, either infantry or armoured corp (did 2 years in the infantry) but got diagnosed with a medical condition which bars military service, and got me medically discharged

Thought of the police, but couldn't pass the medical

Found a job (not career) in a government department which falls under Public Safety and Security. I've spent 25 years, 5 more till retirement

I guess one highlight of my job (and this is pre 9/11) was a terrorist was in Canada applying for refugee status. In my dealings with him, well lets say he didn't like me...and wrote a threatening letter to me, the gist of it was he wanted Alah strike me down dead (this is true btw) Dept of Immigration wanted him removed from Canada, but Immigration & Refugee Board were going to let him stay in Canada, but the evidence I presented plus his letter got him removed from Canada

BTW Alah didn't strike me down dead

RG

• Like 1

As a kid, i wanted to be the usual things, Fireman, policeman or a lawyer like my father and grandfather...........

Then I fell in love with transport trucks, and for the longest time wanted to be a long distance truck driver !!

My dad talked me out of that, telling me truckers had to use needles to stay awake......lol...he knew i hated needles...what a father will do !

Then saw a movie called 'airport' with Dean Martin.....the next day I bought a model of a 707 airliner and knew then and there I was going to be a pilot.....

After years of flying cargo in little prop planes all over Northern Ontario, I finally got my chance to fly the heavy metal with a Canadian airline.....

Too much upheaval and uncertainty in the Canadian airline business, caused me to seek employment with a Large US Based Carrier, who I still fly for to this day.......

I always wanted to be the General Manager in a major 5 star hotel. Something in Chicago, New York, Rome, etc.. The notion of being in charge of that much and having that level of responsibility and team to lead in such an environment has always been intriguing. I also liked the idea of the VIPs I might meet. I've always been service oriented and this job has seemed like my dream position. In my teens I applied for a job deliverying room service in a Holiday Inn. It made me realise how long it would take to work my way to the top. I didn't think I had the patience so never pursued but to this day would still be my dream job.

.... and then there was my dream of being the stunt penis for Ron Jeremy....