Common (mis) Understandings

It seems all of us do not have the same understanding when it comes to describing the different times of the day. Like morning... afternoon .. evening etc.

Morning to me lasts until noon. When talking to some who want a 'morning' appt, I am expecting anything past 10 am. Imagine my surprise when they mean 7 am!! (that would never happen by the way).

And late afternoon to me means 4, 5 pm. But some people consider 1 pm to be late afternoon. Example would be to expect a phone call late afternoon, only to find that phone call comes shortly after lunch?

How do we get on the same page when everyone has a different understanding on the same word? What are your understandings of those commonly references to the time of day?

I prefer to request say a five hour date. We meet at my hotel on this day/date at 5pm, and ends at 10pm

Instead of using phrases like early morning, late morning, early after, late afternoon, evening or night...you use specific time and date

Works for me

RG

• Like 5

I meet daytime and even specify between 10h and 16h and I still gets requests phrased like this: ''I see you meet daytime ,can I see you at 20h tonight?''

sigh

Hint ,for me 20h is evening...

it is very frustrating when someone says 'I'd like an appointment after supper'

What the hell time is that?

For me, supper time would be AFTER finishing for the day, meaning, after midnight.

I have no idea what you mean when you say times like early evening, late afternoon.

It conjures up ideas in me that you are not ready to commit.

Morning, to me, is between whenever I START taking appointments until 12 noon, afternoon is from 12 noon until 5pm, evening is from 5pm until midnight.

I had a guy ask for a morning appointment (for that day) at 11:57am, at 11:58am I told him morning was basically over but I did have afternoon appointments available, never heard from him again.

I'm guessing he was directly outside my door and was a 'minute man', who knows.

Knowing what time you would like an appointment, and if it fits into my schedule, is a major plus.

Vagueness to me means you are not committing to an appointment.

I like precise.

Just my opinion.

• Like 2

Being a bit of a pedant (yeah I admit to it), I appreciate specificity and when a client is vague, I will always ask them to clarify with an actual time frame using numbers instead of "early afternoon" or what have you. If clarifying a specific time, as Red Headed Raven mentioned, is too much to ask then the guy was probably non-committal anyhow.

There is no standard definition of when afternoon ends and evening begins, so such phrases can make it difficult to figure things out. Roamingguy is right: specific time requests get you a lot farther than wasting time with vague requests.

• Like 1

I find when someone can't commit to a time yet, they will say they will call 'afternoon' to make a late afternoon appt. Then call at 1pm and say sorry for calling late. They want appt in half hour.

Lol. I was expecting them to call around 2 or 3pm for 4 or 5 pm appt. So if they are busy I don't want to force them to call to make appt at a certain time, but when they have time. That's why I don't ask for a time when they are not sure themselves. Only for actual appts do I want a committed time.

Maybe if they refer to time of day I will start asking what does that (morning,afternoon, evening) mean to you? lol

• Like 1

There is no standard definition of when afternoon ends and evening begins, so such phrases can make it difficult to figure things out. Roamingguy is right: specific time requests get you a lot farther than wasting time with vague requests.

It strikes me that it's possible that some people might be trying to be flexible to make things easier. But in that case, it's probably better to say something like, "I can do any time between 6 and 8 for an hour - what's good for you?".

• Like 1

Guest j**tg***x

Honestly, it blows my mind that this is even an issue. An appointment is an appointment. You set a time. That would be like making a dinner reservation at a restaurant for "dinner time." Who would do that?

Honestly, it blows my mind that this is even an issue. An appointment is an appointment. You set a time. That would be like making a dinner reservation at a restaurant for "dinner time." Who would do that?

Hello :)

Just for your opinion, if you wanted to contact lady to let her know you would like to see her later but are not sure exactly what time, would you set a time for her to expect a phone call (as I only book by phone call) or would a general timeframe be expected to be reasonable?

I would think a general timeframe to expect a phone call is reasonable. That is how and why I experience this misunderstanding. But for my business it makes sense to do it that way as I can't always answer my phone, and people know that, but seem to want to touch base so I can know they want to see me. (I hope that is not too confusing)

This doesn't usually happen after I have already met a person as I will accept texts at that point.

But I just found it funny that we all see these 'labels' to mean something so different from one another.

I make bookings for all kinds of things... car repairs, dentist, lawyers... you name it and never seem to have any misunderstandings about timing mainly because in pretty much all those cases the discussion is about specific times... if I follow the same practice when booking an appointment with a lady I also should not have any issues.

I kind of agree with one of the other posts that suggested that often there is an intention when booking to allow some flexibility by suggesting time frames like afternoon or evening... that may be find for opening the discussion but you have to be specific at some point before ending the discussion.

Just my Opinion

When I get vague requests like: ''are you available early morning tomorrow?''

I answer : ''define early? ''

My morning starts at 6h30 am,I am a early riser but Lily's morning starts at 10h ...

I sound like a schizophrenic lol,my lives has different names ...

How hard is it to set a time?sigh