Ladies and their names, and when they change it

Hello All. This is more a question for gentlemen but ladies are more than welcome to give their point of view, of course. So here it is: When a lady changes her name, what comes to your mind? Do you think that she just wanted to change it, or do you think that she might have "something to hide"? Is this an issue for you? And do you prefer names that sound more like "real names" (even if you know that they are not our real names, of course ;-) or do you prefer made-up-out-of-the-ordinary-names? Or maybe how the names sound do not matter to you at all?

As you might guess, I have been thinking of changing my name, just because I feel that something different would better suit me. But before doing so, I would like to know which impact it could have to do it.

Thank you very much for your answers!

(p.s.: if I were to change my name I would still mention somewhere on my website and here my former name).

Here's what I said on a similar thread...

http://www.lyla.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=218970&highlight=names

There could be a myriad of reasons why someone working in this industry would change their name some benign and some for less positive reasons.  

I have met with a few ladies who have changed their name some complete changes and some subtle changes... some to better reflect the image they wish to present in their business and some to make a break with a past that has or is causing them difficulties either of their own making or more likely if they are well established reputable ladies to get away from individuals who are stalking or bullying them.

Unfortunately in this industry like the rest of society you get to meet all kinds of people and I think ladies in this industry often are subject to abuse by individuals who accept the stereotypes that have been painted of sex workers and assume they don't have to respect them like they most likely would other independent business people who were providing them with a service. 

People forget that sex workers have a life outside of their work environment and that they unfortunately often have to go to extraordinary length to protect both their own privacy and that of others who might be in their life. This will sometimes include restarting their business under a new name with a new website and new pictures often at considerable cost and impact on their business to say nothing of the effect on their personal feelings of safety and security.

As I have traveled my road in this lifestyle I have appreciated all the wonderful ladies I have met and have come to learn that at least for me, it is better to not assume but instead do your research and rely on input from people you can trust... if a lady changed her name but has a good reputation then the name should really not be an issue if it was a change driven by the lady herself she will most likely have discussed it and it will not be a secret...ie some ladies even include the tag line in their ads..formerly?????. 

If the lady has not explained it and you have put it together based on pictures or rumors then perhaps.. just perhaps giving the lady the benefit of the doubt and not making things any worse for her might just be the right thing to do.

In addition to what I previously said I would simply add that I kinda like simple names that are easy to remember but frankly ladies are pretty good at coming up with names that match up with the image they wish to project.

Just my Opinion

• Like 3

Guest st*****ens**ors

What an interesting question!

It wouldn't occur to me to think someone was trying to evade a reputation by changing a name. For one thing, a fairly active community seems to keep tabs on name changes, so it wouldn't be terribly hard to research.

It's more a question of how you choose to present yourself than anything else. I think about chameleon musicians like David Bowie, who transformed again and again as he moved through phases of his career. And, at the other end of the spectrum, Leonard Cohen, whose identity as a performer has been essentially unchanged for decades, though it has grown richer and more subtle.

Each path makes utter sense, in the context of different personal aspirations.

However, for the record, I like your current name very much :)

On the board, I'm Grass_Hopper. People are rarely calling me Sabrina not mentionning Beaulieu.

I tried to find a name that sounded energetic enough to catch attention on the Internet, but in a text, trying to keep it as discreet and professional as possible, I rather sign Sabrina Beaulieu.

And this French touch suits me perfectly...

• Like 1

I have absolutely no problem with a lady changing her name.

I do like your name as is tho.

I always think name should be unique, something which identifies you only [ie: Brigette L., Susie Q., Cat Eyes., Manon Maid., Foxy Roxy]

• Like 1

Name changes are fine, as long as they aren't too frequent. But do it too often and you'll start to look like you're trying to outrun a bad reputation...

• Like 1

my name change was only done to reflect more in line as to my website (which has the same name).

I did it as it was easier for people to find me that way, rather than having two different ones.

No other reason.

Mia, your name is really nice, I like it very much, but if you are changing it I am sure you will find something very appropriate for you :-)

• Like 2

Changing Lady's business name does not have negative effect on me. There are two possible situations. First, I just did not know her with the old name, so changing name does not matter for me. Second, I new her with old name, so I know her and new name does not change her as a person or my opinion about her.

I prefer name which sounds like a "real" one - it can be rare and exotic but it is just easier to call a person by "name" than by something "artificial".

And you Mia have a beautiful name! Think one more time before changing your name - it is a brand already!

Edited by Tempted Monk
Grammar correction
  • Like 1