Anyone miss their ex?

I'm not sure why, but lately I've been missing my ex wife and can't seem to get her out of my mind. We divorced 4 years ago and I haven't spoken to her since, and I know that I never will speak with her in any meaningful way ever again. We were married for 20 years.

I've been casually seeing a new lady now for almost 2 years and we have a good relationship, but for some strange reason my ex popped back into my head and I can't shake the thought of her.

Anyone else ever encounter this?

• Like 1

Guest st*****ens**ors

I think it's very natural to miss someone you've spent such a large part of your life with, even if the relationship eventually came apart. My first marriage was very brief, and long ago (not to mention disastrous) but I still think of her often.

To miss your ex indicates you are human, and, likely, a nice human. But don't let it derail your life now.

The unsolicited advice is free of charge. Cheers

Guest N***he**Ont**y

When your paths cross with an ex I think you remember a lot of the good times and not the bad. We used to travel a lot on weekends which I miss as we explored a lot of the out of the way places at least two times a month and it kept the fires going. I do miss her sleeping beside me even after six years . Our paths do cross once in a while but now its a simple wave and we each go onto our own personal business. I think we (meaning all of us)will always have a bit of that glow left when remembering the good times and not the bad.

In a lifetime people will have met many others with whom they share a connection with such as a wife, girlfriend, ex, best friends, etc.; they may have moved on or you may have moved on because of certain circumstances, however, that doesn't change the special place you hold for them in your heart.

Likewise time heals all, something that was a deal breaker in the past, with enough time passed starts to become not such a big deal anymore or may even seam silly.

We are all human, and need these connections, it is the meaning of life!

I had a very intense relationship with my ex-girlfriend. Even though we only dated for 11 months and I was a bright eyed bushy tailed 19 year-old, I still think about her from time to time. We didn't want to break up, but old school mentality kinda forced their hand in it.

I have to admit though...since I've been single again, and it's been over 20 years that I've lost touch with her, if I find out she's divorced and single I will have to pounce back right in there :P

It is human nature to desire what we do not have. The "grass is always greener" phenomenon.

We are also predisposed to weight positive memories more highly than the negative. This is one of the reasons gambling is so addictive. We remember the high of winning and forget the feeling of loss we get the rest of the time when we lose.

It is important to recognize these two facts about ourselves before acting on feelings of nostalgia. It is normal to miss someone you have dedicated a large portion of your life to for even a small period of time. Obviously there were positives or you would not have been there. Just also try to remember all of the reasons it ended before you decide to go back in time and pursue an old flame. In most cases, things ended for a reason.

It is sometimes fun to remember the good times though. Every relationship is a learning experience and has helped to make us who we are. Just don't dwell. It is always more important to look ahead of you than behind you when moving forward.

• Like 3

hahahahaha ..... now that made me laugh :)

Additional Comments:

Do I miss my ex?

With every bullet...

Guess I'm enjoying being single.

hahahahaha .... now that made me laugh !!!

• Like 1

I miss my former husband once in a while because we were also good friends when we were young ( was married in my early 20's) but as for an ex boyfriend.. no, not at all. I found the "good" in goodbye with that one and you know you're over someone when you feel such an indifference towards them.

In every relationship, you learn something so when you go through a relationship and a breakup, you come out learning a lot. I'm a different person than I was whether it's been 2 years ago or 10 years ago.

I'm happy being single. It's taught me a lot.

Guest Prufrock Cummings

No.

(oh I need to type more words because the post has to be more than 10 characters)

Yes, more than I can ever express, however she's an ex only because the universe called her for a reason that I have yet to fathom. I realize how lucky I was, we were, and I look back with great memories. One cannot stop time or what is meant to be.

• Like 3

Am I the only one here who is still friends with their ex? lol. I just like living alone because I am a loner type and need my space. After a while being married for some, the living situation is like living with your brother or sister and I have a big family, so no thanks. Been there, done that. I like being single. I do whatever I want.

Marriage is definitely overrated imo. Instead of "till death do us part", people should just say "Lets just see how it goes." ;)

I have discovered in my mature years that the most important relationship is between you and yourself. Everyone else is secondary. So for now, it's just me, myself and I.

• Like 1

So hard to forget what is, in some cases, the habits of a lifetime. On balance, I would have to say no. Sometimes, around the holidays there is a little twinge ...l