Thanks for this initiative, 'very thoughtful of you. For sure cerb is a special community, and I would think that anyone engaged in our hobby can afford just this extra bit of consideration to it. Good on you :mrgreen:

Isabella

Just joined. You had a thread awhile back "What Makes A Person"...setting up a group like this, well that shows what a person is made of.

Very thoughtful of you, shows concern for your fellow man and woman

RG

We've never had the pleasure of meeting, but you are obviously a person with a big heart! I agree with 2-30, we can all afford either a little cash or time to help those less fortunate.

Guest ***nsut***jr

Very nice of you Isabella to post this.

Giving to others in some way is essential to building a strong community.

Those we give to today may just become the givers of tomorrow.

A simple act of kindness can have long lasting implications that are completely unexpected.

Personally I have been fortunate to have something I considered to be no big deal for me to do turn into very good friendships.

If nothing else, it feels good to be nice.

J

Guest **cely***r***ne

What a selfless thing to do! I am amazed by this! I have been trying In Truro (NS) where I am from to raise money for such things!!

I used to be very down on my luck and had to go to the food bank more than enough...and while there, I was extremely saddened to see CHILDREN waiting in line by themselves to get food for their FAMILY?

ITS AN OUTRAGE!!!

I did some research and alot of families here are poor, the homeless numbers grow every year and some of these homeless ppl are the children and their family! I cant get over this! The mayor also will not let a homeless shelter be put up....But the good news is the churches allow people to come in and get sleep out of the cold....but they kick you out at 8am! wtf? its still cold at 8am....I wanted to build a shelter.....

Also the turned up noses of other people as they look down on their fellow man discusts me. Instead of embracing, most shove to the side....what have we become?

So I have been putting money aside for this program and the food banks! Im glad to see the selflessness in others!

And the love we as people have is larger than life...More than enough to share!

With Christmas coming up faster than we realize...please lets take time to humble ourselves and think of those families that have to explain year after year to their kids no christmas again.... ahhh Im done gonna start myself crying now...GREAT POST ISABELLA!!!!

Very good idea Isabella. Christmas will soon be around the corner and I am all for supporting the food banks or giving toys to less fortunate children. I hope this thread will promote the "pay it forward' idea to other ladies and hobbyists here to donate something.

• Like 1

I have continued over the years and continue to donate to the Ottawa Snow Suit Fund, Toy Mountain and the Ottawa Food Bank. I have served the homeless at the food bank, it is A REAL EYE OPENER.

Around this time of year, it really takes very little to assist others, example-Old clothes that could very useful for the homeless, or kids grown out of their snow suit, so donate it, or simply drop in at the Food Bank and leave a envelope of 20.00 or more dollars, you would be surprised how much that can help/feed those in need at Christmas time.

Thanks to Isabella for starting this thread.

Thank you a million times to the ones that have commented here and joined the group. As some have said (Oh wait, I did too ;)) there's many ways to help others and I know some have preferences for particular causes sometimes from personal experiences or from someone you know or simply because is what inspires you so I found another site that actually divides the institutions in different areas.

I will do my best to keep adding information in the group's messages so people join the group and as a community let's all contribute with those who need us.

xoxo

As this is in the General discussion area I thought this might be an important link to have. I know the majority of members are in Ottawa but Canada Helps is a wonderful way to make a donation to a charity across Canada.

http://www.canadahelps.org/

Also this is might be of interest to some...

http://www.moneysense.ca/2010/06/17/the-charity-100/

I just checked it out, looks good but Kyra, do you happen to know which institutions they support? Is not mentioned in their website.

As this is in the General discussion area I thought this might be an important link to have. I know the majority of members are in Ottawa but Canada Helps is a wonderful way to make a donation to a charity across Canada.

http://www.canadahelps.org/

Wow, on the CanadaHelps website it states that you can contribute to any of Canada's 83,000 charities. It has a search function to find the charity of ones choice. I would of never guessed that there were so many.

It is always personally rewarding to help others that are in need, especially the children.

Wow, on the CanadaHelps website it states that you can contribute to any of Canada's 83,000 charities. It has a search function to find the charity of ones choice. I would of never guessed that there were so many.

It is always personally rewarding to help others that are in need, especially the children.

I took this from the CanadaHelps site.

CanadaHelps Mission: To engage Canadians in the charitable sector, providing accessible and affordable online technology to both donors and charities to promote ? and ultimately increase ? charitable giving in Canada.

One of the unique options available on their site are the charitable gift cards.

http://www.canadahelps.org/GiftCards/CharityGiftCard.aspx

A person may purchase a gift card in any denomination which you may then apply to the charity of your choice, provided they are registered through CanadaHelps. As stated above they have a very large number of charities registered approx. 83,000 so finding one that you support is not usually difficult.

On a personal note I have offered a charity date for several months now and though I don't usually accept the CanadaHelps gift card as payment as I prefer my date donate directly to the charity (I favour direct involvement) it has been an option for those that do not wish to have their name associated with some of the smaller grassroots organizations.

My thoughts about charitable giving, it's important that when an individual starts to collect money or items for charity they have a second party involved in the process or they ensure there is some outside audit or accountability to make sure that the money/items make it to their final destination. I know that often we are not talking about a large sum (though sometimes we are) but to me it's about the perception, this industry has suffered a lot from the stereotypes and misconceptions of what the ladies in this industry are like (one common theory for the root of the word hooker traces back to thief) and many people believe that the ladies will resort to anything for a dollar. I encourage charitable giving and worked for many months to design a program where I could raise money for a number of charities without collecting the money myself, where I could ensure that the charities both received the money but I would not be handed the cash in order to ensure that my clients knew that every dollar went exactly where it was intended.

The world is full of skeptics and we are at a time when all eyes are on this industry. If we act professional, treat this like a proper business and go above and beyond what is expected, act with integrity that is above reproach then perhaps the rest of society will not question who we are. If however we give them reason to be skeptical, collect money in the name of charity but have no record of where that went, which may be for good reason as I understand many of us do not wish to issue receipts in our names but if that is the case we should not be collecting money.

Again these are just my thoughts and opinions and I do welcome input.

Guest ***nsut***jr

The world is full of skeptics and we are at a time when all eyes are on this industry. If we act professional, treat this like a proper business and go above and beyond what is expected, act with integrity that is above reproach then perhaps the rest of society will not question who we are. If however we give them reason to be skeptical, collect money in the name of charity but have no record of where that went, which may be for good reason as I understand many of us do not wish to issue receipts in our names but if that is the case we should not be collecting money.

Again these are just my thoughts and opinions and I do welcome input.

I for one am not skeptical.

We are all just people and no matter what our roles may be in life we still have our own degree of consciousness and compassion. Your efforts to help are just as valid as anyone else's. Maybe even more so in my opinion.

I do quite a bit of charitable giving mainly where I can see the direct benefit of the effort whether it is local or on a larger scale but I have to admit I don't give it enough thought sometimes. I just do it.

So... because of you ladies and your selfless efforts I promise to do more (especially this Christmas season) and to give more thought to the process.

The only condition is that I will think of you when I do it. ;)

Anyone else?

J

I love your charitable souls! I too am someone who gets much joy out of helping others. I have volunteered regularly with cancer patients for the last 11 years. Although money is always needed to fund research, support and such, giving of your time does just as much, if not more. I know we're all very busy, but many of these charities could use an hour or two a week of your time just as much. I noticed a lot of you commenting on helping children specifically. In addition to a donation, imagine the impact you could have as a Big Brother/Sister? Or perhaps a very lonely elderly person who has been dropped off and forgotten at the nursing home. Why not go and spend some time with some of these poor, lonely souls? I worked with the homeless for years here in Winnipeg. Many of whom suffer mental illness and substance abuse. But I'll tell you something. These were some of the most misunderstood people out there. When someone actually stops and talks to them, as if they were a real human being, it lights something in their eyes. That's all they really want, from my experience. Not to be forgotten. I admire everyone who gives. Whether it be monetary or just some of your valuable time. It's good to give and I applaud you all!:grin:

• Like 1

Thank you Kyra for this information I did read the gift card option and think is a great idea.

I took this from the CanadaHelps site.

One of the unique options available on their site are the charitable gift cards.

http://www.canadahelps.org/GiftCards/CharityGiftCard.aspx

A person may purchase a gift card in any denomination which you may then apply to the charity of your choice, provided they are registered through CanadaHelps. As stated above they have a very large number of charities registered approx. 83,000 so finding one that you support is not usually difficult.

Sol you are one of these great souls too, awesome to see how much you have helped :)

I admire everyone who gives. Whether it be monetary or just some of your valuable time. It's good to give and I applaud you all!:grin:

Guest **cely***r***ne

Yes! And a good idea to re-surface this thread as well! Because we can never be to aware of people in need.

I have sponsored a family of 6. I decided it was not just a Christmas thing, as people go hungry all year round. My family (sponsored) is doing well, and I love going to the grocery store once a week shopping for them! The baby twins are growing so fast! They will be a year old this coming winter O.O I cant believe it!

They have fastly become my very good friends and I consider them my family as well. Doing good deeds always gets you farther in life I truly believe that. I feel privileged to be in their lives and I will continue to help them for as long as they need it.