Robert Pickton quotation?

There is a Robert Pickton quotation where he is quoted as saying that he targetted prostitutes because it was easy and no one would notice, or something along those lines. Can anyone help me find it?

Many thanks!!

Did you know that Ridgway (no e) passed a polygraph test when 1st apprehended, and yes he did make the same quote.

There was a recent show on Pickton, which I guess interviewed some of the people who were witnesses in the trial, so some of their stories unknown before.

For example, many of the people he had around were drug addicts who helped out or stayed there. He also had some other pretty scary dudes that threatened one guy who saw something, and he ended up moving and laying low for years. He came out after he went thru rehab and ended up doing the right thing by following up on an earlier report he had made while an addict. (one of thosemany reports that went no where).

Picton often had SWs staying with him. He often had the condition they couldn't use drugs there, as tho he was saving them I guess. when he felt threatened by one, she ended up dead. Her body was seen by another SW staying with him at the time. She said nothing. On more than one occasion, he traveled thru the DTES of Vancouver and picked up SWs, while he had one of these friends with him in his vehicle. The SW would feel safer getting in the truck and traveling far out of the area because this other woman was with him. There was more than one SW who did this with him. Some of those SWs made it back to town, some did not. Some of these former friends are still too scared to talk about it; others testified against him in the trial. Of those, the recovered addicts testified, the one too scared to say anything on camera is still using, afaik.

Guest f***2f***

What a poor excuse for a human being that man is. A living example of why the death sentence should be re-introduced.

Edited by f***2f***
duplicate wording

I wonder what quotation that monster Russell Williams will soon come up with?[/quote

Nicolette

I don't know, but the quote (I'm paraphrasing) from the OPP Inspector regarding the OPP Detective conducting the interview I like (poor choice of words considering the circumstances), especially considering Williams arrogence

"It was a smart man outsmarted by a smarter man"

I keep thinking that the two woman he murdered aren't the first two he's done, I'll bet there will be alot of cold cases closed

Case kinda hits close to home since Brighton is about 10 minutes from where I live

RG

Russell Williams another sorry excuse for a human being, thinking that he was so sorry for hurting everyone around him? WTF he was worried about his wife,mean while doing B and E's putting on ladies lingerie taking photo's of himself,then killing 2 ladies. Give me a break, he certainly fooled a lot of people over his time,the sick bastard.

Yes Igot the death sentence must be brought back.

Yes Igot the death sentence must be brought back.

Just to play devil's advocate, don't you think it's a bit hypocritical to give a murderer the death penalty (thus murdering yourself)?

Using death penalty makes us no better than the criminals we want to get rid of.

Don't get me wrong, he deserves to be punished to the fullest extent. And after reading this article yesterday about a woman who was raped at knifepoint and her rapist acquitted (despite the fact that she had taped evidence of him admitting he raped her and that it was completely random), there are times when I think vigilante justice might just be the way. But then again, to steal a phrase from one of my favourite graphic novels: who watches the watchmen?

• Like 1

Personally my opinion on the death penalty is that it is appropriate for First Degree Murder, and Bernardo, Olsen and Williams are poster boys for it...but, and BIG BUT, there is no justice system, in Canada or the world that guarrantees 100% that only the guilty will be caught/convicted, and the innocent won't EVER be convicted

Look at the list of wrongfully convicted

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/08/06/f-wrongfully-convicted.html

What if any one of them had been executed

So life with no parole is what I would advocate for (yes get rid of parole for murders, and abolish 15 year Judicial Review for parole eligibility)

My 2 cents

RG

Ah yes the great debate of capital punishment,it can sway people either way about it. Yes look at Pickton,Williams,Ridgway-in the USA and yes I AGREE about the wrongfully convicted..it will always be one of the greatest debates,and I agree Berlin it makes us no better, but in reality those that are 100% guilty without a shadow of a doubt,my thoughts is always about bringing it back, for those mass murders.

Edited by PistolPete

Guest W***ledi*Time

There's no such thing as 100% guilty without a shadow of a doubt -- at least in the context of public justice. There is no way for the justice system to accurately distinguish between those who are really truly guilty, and those who have merely been found guilty by a unanimous vote of a jury. There is no category of evidence that is infallible -- be it physical evidence, circumstantial evidence, confessions, or first-hand witnesses.

If there is a death penalty, the inevitable consequence will be that some of those who are put to death will be innocent -- no matter the checks and balances put in place to try to prevent it.

I don't support the death penalty because justice is not infallible. And while I will never lose any sleep if people like Pickton, Williams, Bernardo and their pathedic ilk were to die horribly, keeping them in a cage for the rest of their lives and studying them like specimens serves a purpose. But while I am not what you would call religous, these poor excuses for human beings do make you hope there is a Hell.

There's no such thing as 100% guilty without a shadow of a doubt -- at least in the context of public justice. There is no way for the justice system to accurately distinguish between those who are really truly guilty, and those who have merely been found guilty by a unanimous vote of a jury. There is no category of evidence that is infallible -- be it physical evidence, circumstantial evidence, confessions, or first-hand witnesses.

If there is a death penalty, the inevitable consequence will be that some of those who are put to death will be innocent -- no matter the checks and balances put in place to try to prevent it.

Yes WIT perhaps me making a statement saying 100% guilty without a shadow of doubt, is not always correct.

But I feel that when there is a confession and DNA to support the evidence, after someone has brutally murdered, makes you think about it, each time a serial killer comes along.

And I think this debate should stop as this thread is heading in a different direction, and sorry Megan if you feel it has been hi-jacked.

Guest s******ecan****

CNN is airing a Special Program on Sat @ 8PM eastern called "Easy Prey"

It is about how serial killers select their victims, and while I have been unable to confirm it the promotion for the show seems to imply that the program will explore the fact that many serial killers target Sex Workers.

The show will be rebroadcast 3 times over the weekend.

Berlin, I understand the point you are making; however, I would ask is it better to incarcerate a person a small cell for the remainder of their life? Is it any better than death for one's sanity. (And I admit that I am in no way educated enough to answer this myself).

I used to share the exact same view. One shouldn't kill period. But if there is sufficient non refuted evidence that someone has done a heinous crime why should they be imprisoned for life and taken care of by the community they wronged. (not a strong enough word, but I can't think of a better one).

I suppose I haven't come up with a good explaination for the term punishment.

It may be mistaken, but the impression I get is a white collar criminal stealing money can be punished more severly than a rapist or murderer. Something doesn't seemed balanced to me.

• Like 1

Berlin, I understand the point you are making; however, I would ask is it better to incarcerate a person a small cell for the remainder of their life? Is it any better than death for one's sanity. (And I admit that I am in no way educated enough to answer this myself).

I used to share the exact same view. One shouldn't kill period. But if there is sufficient non refuted evidence that someone has done a heinous crime why should they be imprisoned for life and taken care of by the community they wronged. (not a strong enough word, but I can't think of a better one).

It may be mistaken, but the impression I get is a white collar criminal stealing money can be punished more severly than a rapist or murderer. Something doesn't seemed balanced to me.

I don't support prisons either. I'm all for the abolishment of prisons, but as to what would happen in place of that, I'm not sure. I haven't done that much research into the topic myself.

Serving time in prison after being convicted of a crime is IMHO the best option. It takes the offender off the street and protects society. And as Williams himself said to the detective when asked, he didn't know if he would continue to stalk/kill (words to that effect) if he hadn't been caught.

His incarceration is protecting the public.

What has to be understood is prison is not where criminals go to receive punishment, the incarceration (and loss of freedom) in itself is the punishment

As for the options. Well a wrongfully convicted individual can be released from prison, but if executed under the death penalty, there is no release from that.

As for prisons being wrong, no better option has been suggested that I know of. Wouldn't want Bernardo, Picton, Williams, Olsen plus the hundreds of little known murderers (only because their cases didn't make headlines) out on the street.

RG

Guest f***2f***

Agreed the abolishment of prisons means we get no protection at all as a society from the likes of Williams et al. Isolation on an island has been tried...it's a prison by any other name. Individuals who kill, maim or harm the rest of us should be taken away from interaction with the rest of us.

For individuals like Williams, Bernardo, Olsen there is no reasonable doubt...they video taped their crimes and dna links them to the victims....let's do ourselves a favour and purge the population. If they ever get into the general population at Kingston someone will do it for us a hell of a lot messier and more painful than if we hang them or inject them.....imho hanging is too good for Russell Williams and the likes:x

Additional Comments:

Agreed the abolishment of prisons means we get no protection at all as a society from the likes of Williams et al. Isolation on an island has been tried...it's a prison by any other name. Individuals who kill, maim or harm the rest of us should be taken away from interaction with the rest of us.

For individuals like Williams, Bernardo, Olsen there is no reasonable doubt...they video taped their crimes and dna links them to the victims....let's do ourselves a favour and purge the population. If they ever get into the general population at Kingston someone will do it for us a hell of a lot messier and more painful than if we hang them or inject them.....imho hanging is too good for Russell Williams and the likes:x

Guest s******ecan****

The prison system we have is in desperate need of reform. Just like free individuals do not easily fit into narrow pegs different criminals need different enviroments.

I am against the death penalty because I fundamentally do not believe it is wise to grant the "state" that power. For every Pickton, Olsen, Williams and Bernardo one can offer up individuals who have been wrongly convicted. So long as the maximum penalty is life there is always a chance to correct an injustice.

Every year in Canada hundreds of young men are thrown into a violent prison enviroment as a result of committing crimes related to drug addiction. We know that in many cases these individuals face a high risk of becoming more serious criminals as a result of this.

We also know there are inadequate fascilities to deal with individuals who engage in criminal activity as a result of mental illness. The system does tend to be able to identify those cases where a major mental illness is responsible, but for individuals suffering from minor or personality disorders there are no solutions.

We need incarceration solutions that recognize these differences and that as a result work towards minimizing (it will never be eliminated, I am a realist) the cycle of recidivism.

Just building more prisons is not enough. We need to make sure we are building the right ones.

Seems to me a missed opportunity for funding assistance to a program like this is the insurance industry which has a vested interest in reducing crime rates.

Here is some interesting news....

Only in Canada could someone serving 11 consecutive 25-year sentences for murder collect more than $1000 a month for Old Age Security and the Guaranteed Income Supplement. But so it is with senior citizen Clifford Olson.

"Every month, the most notorious child killer in the country gets $1,169.47 transferred to a trust account in his name," Tamara Cherry writes.

Though he will likely die in jail, where he has no living expenses and where the average annual taxpayer cost of keeping a maximum security male incarcerated was $121,294 in 2006-07 — the most recent statistics on Corrections Canada’s website — Clifford Robert Olson is a Canadian, over 65 — he turned 70 on New Year’s Day — and eligible for a pension.

As a federal inmate who has spent much of his time in segregation since he was admitted into federal custody Feb. 17, 1982, Olson likely has little income to claim, which explains why he was approved for not only the Old Age Security (OAS) pension and the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS), but the maximum monthly benefits for both — $516.96 and $652.51 respectively.

It is a reminder that, criminal as he may be, having killed at least 11 boys and girls, Olson still has his rights as a Canadian, whether you agree with it or not.

Kevin Gaudet does not.

“I think that OAS is very similar to a welfare program and I don’t think prisoners should be getting welfare under any name so no, he shouldn’t be getting this kind of cash,” said Gaudet, federal and Ontario director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation. “Cut him off.”

These days he’s focused on money. He claims (and remember, “claims” are not necessarily facts), to have a bank balance of some $500,000 in Australia from the sale of his murder memorabilia. Items about him are on sale on an Internet site called murderauction.com....

I was incredulous that Canada was paying an old age pension and income supplement to Olson who is destined to someday die in prison.

Even Olson chortles: “What good is money to me? I got no use for it, if you get what I’m getting at. I guess I gotta make a will in case I get a heart attack or something. Don’t want these bastards getting my money.”

I phoned Corrections Canada and asked if old prisoners were entitled to old age pensions. At first no one knew. “Good question,” I was told.

Later I was rather testily told that “pensions are the same for federal offenders as for any other Canadian citizen. Canada has no provisions to make any exceptions ... funds received by inmates are put in trust fund until they are released.”

I think most Canadians would be outraged if they knew Olson, who has contributed nothing to this country, is getting over $1,100 a month for simply being alive in prison. (It costs upwards of $110,000 a year to keep an inmate in maximum security).

In the U.S. some 35,000 prison inmates are 65 or older, with parole unlikely for many. In Canada it’s around 750, or perhaps 2.5% of the prison population. Health costs triple after age 60.

When looking at the payments he was getting that included cents, he commented, "Why do they throw the small change in?"

Of course many Canadians wonder why they throw the dollars in too. There's even more to this story and the cash paid out to Olson over the years:

He was arrested in August 1981 for the attempted abduction of two girls.

In custody, Olson offered police a controversial deal: he would tell police where to find the bodies of his victims in exchange for $10,000 for each body. Police agreed, and $100,000 was paid to his wife and infant child.

In prison he sent letters to some victims' families detailing his crimes in graphic deal.

Here is some interesting news....

Only in Canada could someone serving 11 consecutive 25-year sentences for murder collect more than $1000 a month for Old Age Security and the Guaranteed Income Supplement. But so it is with senior citizen Clifford Olson.

"Every month, the most notorious child killer in the country gets $1,169.47 transferred to a trust account in his name," Tamara Cherry writes.

Though he will likely die in jail, where he has no living expenses and where the average annual taxpayer cost of keeping a maximum security male incarcerated was $121,294 in 2006-07 ? the most recent statistics on Corrections Canada?s website ? Clifford Robert Olson is a Canadian, over 65 ? he turned 70 on New Year?s Day ? and eligible for a pension.

As a federal inmate who has spent much of his time in segregation since he was admitted into federal custody Feb. 17, 1982, Olson likely has little income to claim, which explains why he was approved for not only the Old Age Security (OAS) pension and the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS), but the maximum monthly benefits for both ? $516.96 and $652.51 respectively.

It is a reminder that, criminal as he may be, having killed at least 11 boys and girls, Olson still has his rights as a Canadian, whether you agree with it or not.

Kevin Gaudet does not.

?I think that OAS is very similar to a welfare program and I don?t think prisoners should be getting welfare under any name so no, he shouldn?t be getting this kind of cash,? said Gaudet, federal and Ontario director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation. ?Cut him off.?

These days he?s focused on money. He claims (and remember, ?claims? are not necessarily facts), to have a bank balance of some $500,000 in Australia from the sale of his murder memorabilia. Items about him are on sale on an Internet site called murderauction.com....

I was incredulous that Canada was paying an old age pension and income supplement to Olson who is destined to someday die in prison.

Even Olson chortles: ?What good is money to me? I got no use for it, if you get what I?m getting at. I guess I gotta make a will in case I get a heart attack or something. Don?t want these bastards getting my money.?

I phoned Corrections Canada and asked if old prisoners were entitled to old age pensions. At first no one knew. ?Good question,? I was told.

Later I was rather testily told that ?pensions are the same for federal offenders as for any other Canadian citizen. Canada has no provisions to make any exceptions ... funds received by inmates are put in trust fund until they are released.?

I think most Canadians would be outraged if they knew Olson, who has contributed nothing to this country, is getting over $1,100 a month for simply being alive in prison. (It costs upwards of $110,000 a year to keep an inmate in maximum security).

In the U.S. some 35,000 prison inmates are 65 or older, with parole unlikely for many. In Canada it?s around 750, or perhaps 2.5% of the prison population. Health costs triple after age 60.

When looking at the payments he was getting that included cents, he commented, "Why do they throw the small change in?"

Of course many Canadians wonder why they throw the dollars in too. There's even more to this story and the cash paid out to Olson over the years:

He was arrested in August 1981 for the attempted abduction of two girls.

In custody, Olson offered police a controversial deal: he would tell police where to find the bodies of his victims in exchange for $10,000 for each body. Police agreed, and $100,000 was paid to his wife and infant child.

In prison he sent letters to some victims' families detailing his crimes in graphic deal.

The whole point of prison is to limit your freedom--that is the punishment. Nothing else should change, you still have rights as a human being. When you commit a crime you don't surrender those rights, despite what everyone else may think.