Vest Video Camera for cops?

The recent guilty verdict of Attempted Murder against former TO police constable James Forcillo prompted the Yatim family lawyer to speak out on the virtues of public videos.

Note: This case concerned the shooting by police of 18yr old Sammy Yatim on a TO street car. Yatim had a knife in hand and was warned by police to drop it. Yatim didn't drop the knife & the police shot him. Sammy was shot several times and killed. The police (Forcillo) claimed that after Sammy was first shot, the boy attempted to rise again and lunge at them with a knife. A video taken by an on-looker recorded the events and disproved the police claims.

During a press conference after sentencing, the Yatim lawyer launched into a speech about if it were not for the video, the presumption of truth would have lain on the side of the police. Yatim's lawyer went on to say that the defense team complained about a video of Sammy's killing being allowed as evidence in the trial because it represented an unfair bias against their client - it was "Trial by YouTube".

I won't go on with the details, but I'm curious - how many of you out there believe that there is now an "us against them" culture between the public and police. Are the police out of control hooligans who have the absolute freedom to kill with the state's sanction? Do the public need to protect themselves and record all police encounters?

Do the cops need a vest video camera to keep them on the straight & narrow side of the law?

• Like 2

I don't think there's an 'us vs them' culture in this country at this point... but take that with a huge grain of salt, given that it's coming from someone who isn't part of a visible minority and has almost no contact with the police himself. And if there is one, it doesn't seem to be as widespread and deeply ingrained as what we see south of the border.

I think there's a greater willingness to hold cops to account where necessary here (compared to the US). I also think that there's less fear among cops here; much of what happens in the US seems to have its root in cops being forced to assume that the person they're interacting with is armed and wants them dead. Up here, people seem to be armed far less frequently, and so that fear is less prevalent and therefore less likely to poison everything.

And on vest cameras - yes, I think they're a great idea. I won't go so far as to say the camera never lies... but it seems to lie a hell of a lot less than we humans. The only potential problems is if they 'malfunction' or footage from them is 'lost' when it's convenient for that to happen...

• Like 2

Guest *Ste***cque**

Cameras on police vests and smartphones help record the events without embellishment by either side. I would like to see more camera use. Sometimes with video it's res ipsa loquitur (the thing speaks for itself). If Forcillo wasn't videotaped it would be a different outcome, no doubt in my mind.

Police need to be trained to be less aggressive in approaching citizens, especially those with mental illness. Their current training escalates situations as opposed to diffusing them. Sammy Yatin could have been dealt with differently without risk to officers or public at the time of his shooting. Dziekanski could have been handled differently as well with a better outcome. Why tase a man with a stapler? if not for the video it would have been explained away as a life or death situation that required extreme and deadly force to protect innocent lives and the lives of officers. The video showed a different story.

I am all for cameras. It protects both sides from abuse more so than "he said, she said" that typically goes in police favor.

Don't think there is a us vs them mentality here in Canada... But could go that way. I do think the police abuse their power to a certain extent. They do get away with things, and the public knows it. Who holds them accountable, themselves.

With most smartphones having cameras on them then maybe these incidents are becoming more public. This cop I think got what he deserved, would he got off in the states, yes, don't think he would have been charged for the crime. Camera goes along way but they can 'malfunction' if the cops want them too.

More information helps, just a matter if they use the information....

• Like 1

I think that the only ones who would object to cameras are the old school cops who like their power. Honest cops who typically treat people fairly and with respect have nothing to worry about. In fact, it would be a great asset to them in situations where they are being falsely accused of something. It's only the ones who bend the law or use their badge for a power trip that need worry. I think it should be mandatory.

• Like 1

I think that the only ones who would object to cameras are the old school cops who like their power. Honest cops who typically treat people fairly and with respect have nothing to worry about. In fact, it would be a great asset to them in situations where they are being falsely accused of something. It's only the ones who bend the law or use their badge for a power trip that need worry. I think it should be mandatory.

Indeed. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear... as our political overlords are always telling us whenever they want to intrude further into our lives. That works both ways :)