ugh, that's tough one, most do obviously, that old place on Prince Albert Rd behind the Superstore used to offer no credit cards, you just paid a key deposit, been a long time, it's called Express Lodge now, 317 Prince Albert, could give that a try, wasn't exactly luxury though, but as I said it's been a while, maybe they cleaned it up

I'm not so concerned with Credit Cards, but are there any hotels in the area that do 'by the hour' bookings?

Ah, no. You're going to pay for a night regardless, how long you stay is up to you but nobody is renting hotels rooms at a cheaper rate if you say I only need it for an hour, in fact I'd say you'd be refused any service I would think. These places aren't that expensive, if you need to rent a room then you have to bite the bullet and pay. Lake City is $76 a night currently I believe. We may have a few bad neighborhoods but it's not Time Square in the 70's kind of bad. The worst of the worst, The Burnside Motel is gone, been torn down, there aren't too many low dollar kind of hotel/motel spots left, Lake City and the place on Prince Albert are about as close as you can get to a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of place.

The worst of the worst, The Burnside Motel is gone

I don't remember it being that bad. In fact I remember it fondly, but perhaps I am wearing rose-coloured glasses because it was the preferred location of one of my favourite companions. Not an upscale hotel by any means, but perfectly clean and functional.