So, I finally went to see Kelly... Just wanted to report that I got exactly what people here said I would get - a solid massage, in a clean place, at a good price and a basic ending. If it's not eye-candy you're looking for, but a massage that does actually work out the kinks in your back, this is a good choice. I particularly enjoyed when she climbed on top of me and used her body weight to massage my back with her knees... reminded me of the massages I got in Beijing.

Guest K***an

Interesting. Might give her a try. I know exactly what you mean by Beijing. I worked there for a few years and really got used to the hospitality offered at massage places. When I returned I was lucky to find a student in Ottawa that knew the art of tui na and became a regular for 3 years. She graduated and left town this past summer, and I'm looking for a similarly-skilled masseuse with no luck. Maybe I'll have to get a transfer back to China...

I believe I read somewhere that she is an RMT registered in Ontario.

Can you confirm that. PM me if you don't want others to see answer.

Posted via Mobile Device

Kelly usually posts on a daily basis in the Service Providers sub forum, the one for scheduling, hours, services and any provider announcements.

I believe that the last posting from Kelly mentioned that she is "licenced". There is also a contact phone number in the posting as well. I believe that she also places regular ads in the SUN with a contact phone number.

Kelly is a member of CERB so you could PM her and inquire about her qualifications, you could also call her on the phone and talk to her directly.

Contact her directly and ask her, it might be a lot easier than relying on someone else for the information.

Rodehard

Edited by Rodehard
spelling

I believe I read somewhere that she is an RMT registered in Ontario.

Can you confirm that. PM me if you don't want others to see answer.

Posted via Mobile Device

If she says she's licensed, it doesn't necessarily mean that she's a licensed RMT. It could just mean that she's got a body rub license from the city.

Good Point!

I went back and checked some of the older posts from Kelly and there is a reference to being both "licenced" and a member of the "Canadian Massage Association" This may indicate that she is indeed a licenced massage therapist.

That being said, I am wondering what the fascination behind licencing requirements is all about? Are we exploring an "Urban Myth" about RMT's and what they will or will not do?

A licence or lack of one is no guaranty as to the level or quality of the massage and what "extras" may or may not transpire behind closed doors. That is between you and the MP or RMT as the case may be.

Lets leave licencing requirements out of it. Cleanliness, discretion, location and the MP's personality along with good massages, extras and whether you would return to the provider are the topics of discussion here, not the "credentials or lack thereof" of the MP's who may be an RMT as well.

Rodehard

Good Point!

I went back and checked some of the older posts from Kelly and there is a reference to being both "licenced" and a member of the "Canadian Massage Association" This may indicate that she is indeed a licenced massage therapist.

That being said, I am wondering what the fascination behind licencing requirements is all about? Are we exploring an "Urban Myth" about RMT's and what they will or will not do?

A licence or lack of one is no guaranty as to the level or quality of the massage and what "extras" may or may not transpire behind closed doors. That is between you and the MP or RMT as the case may be.

Lets leave licencing requirements out of it. Cleanliness, discretion, location and the MP's personality along with good massages, extras and whether you would return to the provider are the topics of discussion here, not the "credentials or lack thereof" of the MP's who may be an RMT as well.

Rodehard

I beleive that if you have a licence some insurance compagny actually cover a certain amount or all the cost of the massage...

There are valid points as far as claiming the "door fee" or the cost for a "legitimate therapy type massage" with an insurance company. This is where a licenced masseuse has an advantage, she can write a receipt.

But should it be considered by those that are seeking a relaxation type massage with "extras" for pure enjoyment and not for therapy.

In my situation being "self employed" and not having insurance benefits that cover my massage makes my search for a quality service provider easier. It means that I get to pay for whatever service that I select with whoever I want to provide it.

It has never been a priority with me as to whether the MP I chose was one who was licenced or not.

This is because I am willing to admit to what I was looking for in the first place, a relaxation type massage and enjoyment in other "services or extras" offered. This is why I am member of CERB. I can get some input and recommendations that help determine who to see for what I want and recommend good MP's to other members.

The point that I was trying to make is that one not consider a licence as a prerequisite when searching for recommendations for the "type" of massage with "extras" that one is looking for on CERB, its irrelevant.

Rodehard

The use of 'RMT' in the province of Ontario is regulated. A true RMT - trained, licensed, accredited - risks losing her accreditation if she is caught providing 'extras'.

I'm not sure you have to be an RMT to provide insurance receipts (in the province of Ontario - I know Quebec is different) but I generally associate the two.

Who knows if insurance companies look into their massage providers but I don't think it would go over well if they thought they were subsidizing hanky-panky!

Federal Government employees, and there are LOTS in Ottawa, get $300 towards massage therapy, and their spouses get another $300 (that's $600 if your spouse can't be bothered) and all you have to do is submit your receipts. At $55 a pop (Kelly on Kent) that's almost one a month!

So tell me again why Feds (people working for the Federal Government) shouldn't consider if their massage therapist can provide a receipt?

How can we get Kelly to weigh in on this subject. I am sure she has many government workers as clients.

Kelly - if you are reading this feel free to PM me also.

Posted via Mobile Device

Federal Government employees, and there are LOTS in Ottawa, get $300 towards massage therapy, and their spouses get another $300 (that's $600 if your spouse can't be bothered) and all you have to do is submit your receipts. At $55 a pop (Kelly on Kent) that's almost one a month!

So tell me again why Feds (people working for the Federal Government) shouldn't consider if their massage therapist can provide a receipt?

That's only if they have a prescription/referral from their doctor, and no, they can't stack the family benefits (if your spouse doesn't use their $300, you still only have $300).

That is correct Thompo.

I have a prescription for massage therapy from my doctor which I had to submit with my first receipt. Rx is good for 1 yr.

Some of the licensed MPs in Ottawa are Orthotherapists NOT RMT. My government insurance does not cover Orthotherapy in Ontario - just RMT.

And it is only $300 per year per person - cannot combine.

Posted via Mobile Device

From my understanding, if your massage includes a happy ending, your RMT can lose her license. I wouldn't want the insurance company looking into this and I don't think they would be too happy to learn they are subsidizing your "play time".

If it's a risk you're willing to take, go for it! But I do think people should be educated about the risks.

It looks like the "Kelly on Kent recommendation" thread has been sidetracked by licencing issues and otherwise............

Lets get this thread back to where it started in the first place, a recommendation about Kelly and her services. There only appeared to be one before the licencing issue started.

Does Kelly provide a good service at a good price? is the studio clean? are there showers and clean towels? is the location accesible yet discrete? and in closing would you repeat with her?

Rodehard

Glad the thread is back on track.... Would I repeat? Yes. It was a solid massage and a more than acceptable ending. The place was indeed clean - she changed all the sheets and towels as I was getting dressed - clearly she does this to reassure clients that it is clean. Not sure about shower - didn't ask. The location is fairly discreet and there are no parking issues. As I wrote in my original post - if it's not eye-candy you're looking for, but instead, a good massage with basic ending, it's a pretty good choice.

I think that a thread should be started in the recommendation section for Kelly's recommendations. This is the "massage discussion" forum so I think it's okay to discuss things like insurance.

It's nice of people to recommend her here, but truth is this thread will eventually be buried and lost. Hopefully someone will start the recommendation thread she deserves.

Perhaps the original poster, I believe that its 'ottawaadventurer' could post his recommendation for 'Kelly On Kent' in the Recommendation area or maybe the MOD could move it over.

Rodehard