Old family remedies....

Inspired by Sabrina's thread on being sick! I want to hear all of the old wives tales passed on thru the generations in your family. The sure fire cure alls! I will share some of mine after I hear some of yours! In particular, I need a quick remedy for a minor burn.

DO NOT LAUGH!!!! While bending over to blow out a candle, I stumbled (a common occurance in the day of a clutz!) and burnt the tip of my nose! God damn, that is a very tender area. I suffer from allergies and recouperation is slow due to the need to constantly clear the sinuses!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That being said, any and all home remedies would be welcome :)

do not put butter.........!!!!!

the best thing to have if you have any luck with plants is an aloe vera plant......with a burn just break off a branch and place some of the gooey middle on the burn..it is cool andf works well.......

other than that......plenty of alchohol...

I have afreind who swears by a mixture of Brandy.....cod liver oil....and honey for a cold ....drink it before going to be......sleep hard and wake up better......from what I hear......

I just tend to use the brandy part myself

Not really a home remedy of sorts but you might consider putting Vaseline on the tip of your nose/burnt area. Vaseline will seal the area and help in keeping germs and dirt out while keeping your skins natural moisture in. It may still take a while to look better but it will feel better almost instantly!

I would warn off vasaline and rubbing alchohol on the burn....vasaline will stop the area from breathing causing it to go more red and delay healing...the RA will dry out the area and cause the skin to crack.....

..cold water.....best solution

Additional Comments:

I would warn off vasaline and rubbing alchohol on the burn....vasaline will stop the area from breathing causing it to go more red and delay healing...the RA will dry out the area and cause the skin to crack.....

ice cube..cold water.....best solution

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-burns/FA00022

My mother had severe burns in an accident and NEVER Vaseline or any petroleum was used at the hospital, the burned tissue needs WATER, cold water, the colder one can take!

Cold water and aloe, but take an anti-histamine for the allergies.

Also get some local honey it will help you build up natural anti-bodies for the allergies.

Another old recipe for colds is cedar tea. If anyone wants the recipe for it PM me.

If I was closer Meg, I'd kiss it to make it better;)

Seriously though, stay away from vaseline or anything other ointments

Cold water/ice is what I'd use

And if more than minor, go to emerg., get a doctor to look at it

RG

Cold water and aloe, but take an anti-histamine for the allergies.

Also get some local honey it will help you build up natural anti-bodies for the allergies.

Another old recipe for colds is cedar tea. If anyone wants the recipe for it PM me.

I would love to find the cedar!

I like to use traditional native medicines, such as bitter root bark, Labrador Tea, and bear grease (yes that's bear fat, and it's also hard to find. But great for dry hair, and good for the skin)

For serious burns, go to emergency for sure.

I guess your burn is in a minor manner, Meg. People have mentioned great stuff like honey, aloe vera. I would warn off Alcohol too. Cold water/ice is best applied right after the burn, but after a few hours (6 I would say), better with other remedies. What if you don't have honey, aloe, tea tree, etc? You surely have one thing - toothpaste! Apply a thin layer of it to the burnt area and after it dries, wash it away carefully with cold water and reapply. - Caution! - This only for minor burns, for serious ones, the dried paste may make you feel painful if care is not taken.

Don't feel embarrassed, Meg. That happens quite often. I can't remember how many times I have been burned by candles, all of them minor though. lol

Good advice about the burn! Aloe vera is a wonderful plant. We always had one growing in the kitchen window when I was a kid.

My offering: a cure for hiccups!

As you lean over a sink, sip from a glass of water, from the wrong side of the glass--the far side. You'll probably spill a lot of water, but this always stops hiccups for me and for my kids.

Guest G***f******

One I use all the time for chapped and dry lips.

My lips always get dry in the winter. To make matters worse, I have a bad habit of licking them. As a kid, It used to get so bad they would split and become incredibly painful.

Lypsil and other petroleum based lips balms are useless. Medicated Blistex works for the first few minutes, but doesn't last.

What I found actually works is Vitamin E cream.

Good advice about the burn! Aloe vera is a wonderful plant. We always had one growing in the kitchen window when I was a kid.

As you lean over a sink, sip from a glass of water, from the wrong side of the glass--the far side. You'll probably spill a lot of water, but this always stops hiccups for me and for my kids.

I have never heard of this one Samantha, my grandfather's remedy for hiccups was a teaspoon of sugar and saturate it with vinegar and swallow in one quick movement, it always worked for me but many can't take the contrast in taste. I will be sure to try yours next time I or someone I know has hiccups.

For Megan, what ever you do with your burn, if you have a scab on it do not ever remove it. This might and will scar that pretty little nose of yours. A scab is a way for your body to protect its fighting mechanism to do its job well.

I like this thread, it's nice to find out new remedies.

Guest S**a*Q
One I use all the time for chapped and dry lips.

My lips always get dry in the winter. To make matters worse, I have a bad habit of licking them. As a kid, It used to get so bad they would split and become incredibly painful.

Lypsil and other petroleum based lips balms are useless. Medicated Blistex works for the first few minutes, but doesn't last.

What I found actually works is Vitamin E cream.

Polysporin Triple Action... the ointment not the cream. I used to get really badly bleeding and cracked lips in the winter... I started using this once just cause I had nothing else. It cleared up my dry lips in a day. Now, I use this on my lips and NEVER have issues. :)

Additional Comments:

If you think you're starting to get sick... I use Oil of Oregano... It's a little pricey at first, but everyone I give it to, swears by it.

I take 5 drops in liquid, gargle with it and swallow, 2 x a day when feeling ill. *(Do this once a day til you feel fine)

O.o.O. is good for TONS of other things, so taking it on a daily basis couldn't hurt either. :)

For the common cold, a friend of mine swears by blue cheese (if you can stand the smell and taste) and a bottle of read wine. Blue cheese contains naturally occurring penicillin cultures, which helps fighting infection (like in a cold). Red wine puts you to sleep.

Not only you make a meal out of it, you sleep well and you wake up feeling better. Not sure how well it would work for allergies though.

For the common cold, a friend of mine swears by blue cheese (if you can stand the smell and taste) and a bottle of read wine. Blue cheese contains naturally occurring penicillin cultures, which helps fighting infection (like in a cold). Red wine puts you to sleep.

Not only you make a meal out of it, you sleep well and you wake up feeling better. Not sure how well it would work for allergies though.

That probably answers why I don't get sick...I love bleu cheese, eaten on it's own, crumbled in a salad, not to mention Renee's bleu cheese salad dressing.

The red wine, well I don't drink, but with the boring life I lead, I can put myself to sleep :neutral: ;)...most excitement I get is hobbying :D:rolleyes::D

I have discovered, if you begin to get a scratchy sore throat (first sign your about to get a cold) get mouthwash, and gargle. Keep doing this (not just when you brush your teeth) but perhaps 10-12 times/day. The mouthwash kills the bug before it spreads.

I learned all this living by the motto, don't use your sick leave unless your well enough to enjoy it

RG

The recipe for hiccups I have learnt is to stun the person buy patting his/her back without noticing him/her. Almost 100% effective. hehe