Hep precautions?

I am posting this in the Massage section because I do not visit SPs but I am curious about precautions people take.

We have discussed hot tubs and slippers in showers, yet we have not discussed Hepatitis (at least nothing came up when I searched).

I was reading a providers's site and noticed it asked that the client not floss the day of the meeting due to bleeding gums. I assumed this meant kissing would possibly allow an exchange of fluids. This actually got me a bit concerned.

I thought about this and recall meeting a few MPs who a) allow some deep kissing, b) allow DATY and c) allow digits (where someone who chews their nails or cuticles might have some potential to have an open cut).

I'd like to ask if those who frequenct MPs (and maybe SPs) and any MPs out there as to whether or not they have taken precautions such as Twinrix vaccinations etc. to minimize risk.

Would anyone have any input or advice?

Thanks for considering this as it is a serious topic.

My facts are not confirmed, but I don't believe you can catch Hepatitis from kissing, and I believe it's extremely unlikely you could catch it from oral sex. As for digits, make sure your fingers aren't cut or use a finger cot. That should be a no-brainer.

I don't offer kissing or oral sex, but for the finish I always make sure my hand does not have any cuts on it and I have cancelled appointments or use a finger cot in the past.

Hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver. As such I would think if you were to catch a Hep bug, then it would be from eating or drinking things, usually alcoholic drinks. There are other types of Hep that aren't caused by viruses, but from just simple obstructions in your digestive system.

Hep A is caused by a virus that is spread thru feces

Hep B is an infection which is spread when blood, semen, vaginal fluids or saliva from an infected person enters the body of another

Hep C is caused by a virus that is only transmitted thru the blood.

There are vacines for all of the above.

Hep A is caused by a virus that is spread thru feces

Hep B is an infection which is spread when blood, semen, vaginal fluids or saliva from an infected person enters the body of another

Hep C is caused by a virus that is only transmitted thru the blood.

There are vacines for all of the above.

There is no vaccine for Hep C.

There is for A and B.

http://www.hepfi.org/living/liv_preventing.html

Maybe going for the Twinrix Hep A and B vaccine is not a bad idea for hobbyists (for their own benefit and the benefit of their SP/MA)

There is no vaccine for Hep C.

There is for A and B.

http://www.hepfi.org/living/liv_preventing.html

Maybe going for the Twinrix Hep A and B vaccine is not a bad idea for hobbyists (for their own benefit and the benefit of their SP/MA)

there is a vaccine for hep c...it is a series of three shots. I was vaccinated when i worked at rideau regional

Posted via Mobile Device

there is a vaccine for hep c...it is a series of three shots. I was vaccinated when i worked at rideau regional

Posted via Mobile Device

I have not heard of this HCV Vaccine. As far as I know no approved vaccine exists. Are you sure it was not for HepA&B?

If it was HepC can you find out the name of the Vaccine for us??

There is no vaccine for hep c. The one with three separate shots is for A and B. Hep C can only be transited through blood. The problem is it can live a long time outside the body on things like needles, razors, nail clippers etc. Good hygiene, hand washing, safe sex practices will protect you. Vaccines are in development but are probably a couple of years from trial and a decade or so from commercial use. However I do recommend the vaccine for A and B if you have regular contact with others body fluids such as being involved with personal care of others.

• Like 1

I have not heard of this HCV Vaccine. As far as I know no approved vaccine exists. Are you sure it was not for HepA&B?

If it was HepC can you find out the name of the Vaccine for us??

Blond moment (I allow myself one per day). Back in 1990, I did a job placement at Rideau Regional. The Hep C virus was discovered in 1989 and at that time is was incurable. All of the residents were tested and those with the infection were identified. We were all required to take a safety workshop as well as the vaccines for A & B. Thankfully, especially for those in contact with infected individuals because of their occupations, it is curable and with the proper safety measures is it avoidable.

There is no cure for hepatitis C. There are only treatments that supress the virus for a long period of time and decrease the damage it causes but the virus remains in the body.

} at that time is was incurable. it is curable and with the proper safety measures is it avoidable.

Hepatitis 'C' Cures Now Common

Existing Treatments Eradicate Hepatitis C Virus

By Salynn Boyles

WebMD Health News

Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

hep_c_cure.jpg

May 21, 2007 -- A new report shows that patients with hepatitis C infection can not only be successfully treated by the best available drug therapies, but they also can be cured.

Up to seven years after treatment, 99% of close to 1,000 successfully treated patients showed no evidence of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection.

Just one of many articles in circulation :)

Meg, you may be right on what that article says if we base it on the definition of cure which is 'to restore health'. Yes, these treatments do this in some cases but what they don't mention is they only keep the virus 'passive' (that's how doctors call it) but do not kill it so even when the person does not present symptoms this does not prevent the spread of the virus which is important for those who have it to keep in mind to avoid giving it to others.

Is a shame they don't mention this as in my opinion they only care to show their achievements and have recognition for this without being 100% honest about it.

I found a warning on this medications that may be worth reading. I apologize if I sound a bit passionate on this but have been close to this topic for years as my grandma died from it, 3 of my aunts/uncles currently suffer of it as well as a close friend of mine and they all stopped taking treatment because the side effects were too agressive and the results not so good.