I was reading up on hangover remedies and came across on that says a cure polish people use is drinking pickle juice ... any Polish folk out there know if this is drinking the brine that pickles come in or if you have to juice the pickles somehow. I'm fairly certain I have the worst headache ever, and some dude might have punched me in the nose ... 2 owies :(

any other remedies are welcome too .

I usually just pop 2 tylenol with a liter of water before bed, works great for me. The whole pickle juice thing seems like it would make you toss your cookies, probably not the best idea. Eating peanut butter is supposed to help. The more water you get in your system is really gonna make a huge difference though.

Posted via Mobile Device

i always have something to eat before going to bed seems to work a bit......and the pickle juice i use that in making ceacars there awesome with it

I can't say for sure, but maybe it's the salt in the brine... I think the majority of a hangover is from dehydration isn't it? Salt helps your body retain water... just a guess.

Call me crazy, but in the summer when I get a headache from being too hot outside, sometimes I'll take a little bit of salt instead of a tylenol and it seems to help.

I think both potassium and iodine play important rolls in your brain - they're both in salt... brain - headache... Just takin' stabs here - admittedly, biology and chemistry are both very distant memories for me now...

Any doctors in the house? :smile:

A couple of advil and a gatorade did the trick for me this morning! I think dehydration is a big part of a hangover, so the gatorade replenishes the fluids and electrolytes.

Guest **ng***1

fruit sugar penetrates your system fast and it helps. But most importantly water and throw down a couple of tylenol, ibuprofen, ASA whatever you have. Good luck.

coffeee!!!! lots and lots of coffee. Too much beer yesterday....at least next year ST-Patrick will be on Saturday!

Coffe helps, but as mentioned above, have some watered down juice as well. Alcohol and caffeine are diuretics. I always had water at least before going to bed, so that always helped me....

Here is what a "Hangover" is all about!

[2] Some aspects of a hangover are viewed as symptoms of acute ethanol withdrawal,

Well if it's withdrawl.....then one could supose that one potential cure is to drink more alchol...........I have never tired that that just sound like your putting off the pain until later.

I've definitely rocked some red eyes (beer and clamato) on a rough day after. As well, if a day off is involved, a greasy breakfast accompanied by a ceaser and followed by a nap is AMAZING!

I have always found that a few Advils and as much water as you can handle prior to going to bed works wonders. If you still wake up with that headache, grab a couple more advils with a big glass of chocolate milk.

Omehgosh, Reddog and Sweetcakes are all hinting in the right direction. Dehydration is a glood part of the problem.

The reason we don't all know the answer is becasue it is illeagle to advertise a product for hang over relief in Canada. I guess they thing hang overs are a cure for over consumption. There is ounce of truth to this but the question is a cure for hangover.

Besides dehydration you have an acid imbalance in your body making your muscles hurt and stomach want to wretch and some nasty peraldydes giving you a headache. The peraldehyes came from the liquor fermentation process. they are sort of a side reaction. It is a poison related to its more common cousin formaldehyde. In time you will breath it off. Peraldehye is more volitile than alcohol , unstill that happens you need some analgesic , and it takes less than you think. ( more in a moment).

Now we got to get some fluids and alkalinity back in you body, So you have to drink something alkalynie. Who in the hell is going to do that you ask. Well the there is a comercial product that gives you both alkalinity, and analgesic and it wasn't designed by mistake.

Cure : 2 Alakaselzer tablets in a glass of cool water, wait a moment for them to disolve and then drink it down. Yeah it tastes like slough water but it works. Add one more tylenol or ibuprofen if you want but chances are you won't need it. After the alkaseltzer in disolved in the glass I through in a 1/2 tsp of ENOs. It is more for taste than anything.

So that is my story. Alkaseltzer is the answer, we don't all know about it becasue you can't advertise a cure for hangover.

When you know this the alkaselzer ad. makes sense now.

" Plop Plop, Fizz, Fizz; Oh what a relief it is. For when you over indulge. "

The ad all looks like they mean when you eat too much, but you gotta read between the lines. Oh and a little bit or chemisty doesn't hurt either.

Take care, take it eazy and when you don't take Alkaselzer

Hey I like that like for the new ad. lol .....chicas

Hair of the dog always works! But seriously, drink a ton of water while drinking as well as before bed. If that doesn't work drink more when you awake

If I wait a couple of hours between the time that I stop drinking and the time that I fall asleep I feel totally fine the day after, but if I go to bed drunk I get a terrible hangover. But if I do have anything the day after I like eggs and your choice of pharmaceuticals for breakfast.

Guest S******s*m

Mythbusters did a "scientific" series of test on drunkendness. As I recalled, it had nothing to do with feeling better, rather the ability to perform better (be less drunk). The measure used was the ability to do a NASA based test on reaction and muscle control.

I should submit them the link to this thread to see what they find out...

Omehgosh, Reddog and Sweetcakes are all hinting in the right direction. Dehydration is a glood part of the problem.

The reason we don't all know the answer is becasue it is illeagle to advertise a product for hang over relief in Canada. I guess they thing hang overs are a cure for over consumption. There is ounce of truth to this but the question is a cure for hangover.

Besides dehydration you have an acid imbalance in your body making your muscles hurt and stomach want to wretch and some nasty peraldydes giving you a headache. The peraldehyes came from the liquor fermentation process. they are sort of a side reaction. It is a poison related to its more common cousin formaldehyde. In time you will breath it off. Peraldehye is more volitile than alcohol , unstill that happens you need some analgesic , and it takes less than you think. ( more in a moment).

Now we got to get some fluids and alkalinity back in you body, So you have to drink something alkalynie. Who in the hell is going to do that you ask. Well the there is a comercial product that gives you both alkalinity, and analgesic and it wasn't designed by mistake.

Cure : 2 Alakaselzer tablets in a glass of cool water, wait a moment for them to disolve and then drink it down. Yeah it tastes like slough water but it works. Add one more tylenol or ibuprofen if you want but chances are you won't need it. After the alkaseltzer in disolved in the glass I through in a 1/2 tsp of ENOs. It is more for taste than anything.

So that is my story. Alkaseltzer is the answer, we don't all know about it becasue you can't advertise a cure for hangover.

When you know this the alkaselzer ad. makes sense now.

" Plop Plop, Fizz, Fizz; Oh what a relief it is. For when you over indulge. "

The ad all looks like they mean when you eat too much, but you gotta read between the lines. Oh and a little bit or chemisty doesn't hurt either.

Take care, take it eazy and when you don't take Alkaselzer

Hey I like that like for the new ad. lol .....chicas

Flat Pepsi in the morning works good..........

Flat Pepsi in the morning works good..........

Never heard about this one, big Al .... Not that i'll get a hangover on purpose to try it....

:-)

Just don't drink FAR TOO MUCH :) I learn as I get older, never drink in excess anymore not worth it in the am.

Just don't drink FAR TOO MUCH :) I learn as I get older, never drink in excess anymore not worth it in the am.

Found out the same thing...had to quit drinking all together back in 1980.

After some longings, just got used to no drinks, and if I had continued drinking, I likely wouldn't be here today

RG

McDonald's breakfast grease will clear up a hangover from what I've been told. In my own experience after a very rare night of drinking endless glasses of wine in Chicago, a steak dinner the next day worked wonders. Hangovers are not worth it and haven't gotten smashed in 8 years.lol. When I sip a glass of Chardonnay now, it still makes me gag.

Guest W***ledi*Time

UPI reports, 18 Mar 2011:

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2011/03/18/UPI-NewsTrack-Quirks-in-the-News/UPI-48811300484100/

A New York state alcohol metabolism expert says hangovers get worse as drinkers age and cheap alcohol can lead to more intense morning-after discomfort.

Jim Schaefer, who also served as an anthropology professor at Union College in Schenectady, said
hangovers worsen with age because of a drop in levels of enzymes responsible for breaking down alcohol into acetaldehyde and turning the acetaldehyde into non-toxic acetic acid
, MSNBC reported Friday.

"It has been suggested that acetaldehyde is one of the key toxic chemicals that influences the severity of a hangover," Schaefer said. "So any deterioration in ADH (aldehyde dehydrogenase) levels would contribute to worse hangovers."

Schaefer said
cheap alcoholic beverages can also influence the severity of a hangover due to the higher presence of congeners, the "chemical soup" resulting from the fermentation and distillation processes.

"The more expensive liquors are often filtered and triple or more distilled -- thus, cleaner alcohol, less junk
," Schaefer said.

"As we age, we may be unable to avoid chemical changes that could be wrecking the efficiency of our liver, and we should avoid lousy intoxicants, as they are guaranteed to cause digestive or metabolic discomfort," he said.