OUR Lives are LIVING PROOF !!!

To Those of Us Born

1925 - 1970 :

'''''''''

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE

1930s, '40s, '50s, '60s and '70s!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who may have smoked and/or drank

while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes..

Then, after that trauma, we were

put to sleep on our tummies

in baby cribs covered

with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets,

and, when we rode our bikes,

we had baseball caps,

not helmets, on our heads.

As infants and children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes..

Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter, and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And we weren't overweight.

WHY?

Because we were always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.

--And, we were OKAY..

We would spend hours building

our go-carts out of scraps

and then ride them down the hill,

only to find out we forgot the brakes.. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Play Stations, Nintendos and X-boxes. There were

no video games, no 150 channels on cable,

no video movies or DVDs,

no surround-sound or CDs,

no cell phones,

no personal computers,

no Internet and no chat rooms.

WE HAD FRIENDS

and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut,

broke bones and teeth,

and there were no lawsuits

from those accidents..

We would get spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping-pong paddles, or just a bare hand, and no one would call child services to report abuse.

We ate worms, and mud pies

made from dirt, and

the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts

and not everyone made the team.

Those who didn't had to learn

to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers,

problem solvers, and inventors ever.

The past 50 to 85 years have seen an explosion of innovation and new ideas..

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of those born

between 1925-1970, CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids, so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it ?

'''''''

• Like 5

And....

When we heard the sound of the mosquito fogging truck at night, we would all mount our bikes and ride behind in the smoke.

We could just as easily be spanked by our friends parents as our own.

Posted via Mobile Device

I was born well after 1970 but all that good stuff applied to my childhood.

The way parents raise kids these days, the parents need a whooping as badly as the kids do.

I laughed, as I too remember the mosquito fogging truck. I lived in Winnipeg in the 60's. Yep, as a young teen I disappeared in the morning on my bike and returned for "supper" or last light.

Cheers

One point you made about little league baseball ... kids sports nowadays are so organized, and so run by adults, that I wonder if kids are learning the life skills they need to cooperate and play fair on their own.

Growing up was so fun :) Thanks for the memories all so true. Life was so simple in our childhood. Does anyone remember going to the local arcade with your report card in June and they would give you credits to play for free with all your A's??? And playing lawn darts with those metal looking spears.....and when you went tubbing behind the boat it was a a big black tire tube with the steam digging in to your leg.....and when 3 wheeler's first came out how many times they rolled over on you. And when your parents got pulled over by the local OPP and your parents had a little too much to drink they drove your family home and left the family car on the side of the highway. So many good memories. Yah!

It is all so true though! It was alot worse than that, really. Lawn darts, hoping onto moving trains for a ride, riding in the back window of the family car sleeping. Not to mention building forts into the hills of snow the town was providing us youngsters with. lol. Not one parent ever told us not too, but all knew what we were up too, and no-one was ever hurt. We as KIDS, KNEW not to play there till the roads were clear again, after a snow fall. Go figure.

How about...

• cap guns
  • marbles
  • Barbies and GI Joe
  • Snakes and Ladders
  • A cocla-cola and a bag of chips, Vachon cake or chocolate bar was a once a week "treat", not part of a regular diet
  • Skates with laces
  • Brownies and Cubs, Girl Guides and Boy Scouts
  • Drive-in movie theatres
  • Going to the beach without sunscreen
  • When it was Kentucky Fried Chicken, not KFC
  • When the waitress at A&W wore roller skates and served you at your car
  • When Swiss Chalet actually used wood burning ovens
  • When Harvey's actually had charbroilers
  • When we only had to worry about "taking the pill" because anything else could be dealt with, with a shot of penicillan
  • When people dressed up to go to parties or Church
  • When we could walk to school on our own or go trick-or-treating at Halloween without an adult
  • When we drove at 100 miles per hour

Ah the good old daze....

Edited by Mature Angela

However all the people born between these times made the laws that we now have, and are the crazies who make it so dangerous now,so people born in my time, can't enjoy the things you did as a child.

I wish i was alive when there was smoking allowed in restaurants, and you could ride in the back of a pickup truck, but someone from the older generation decided it was too dangerous. I would've loved to live in a time where i was allowed to go outside alone and play or play after dark, but people from the older generations started to steal kids so it wasnt safe for us anymore. As a result, parents strated keeping us indoors and gave us videos games, which were invented by older generations. I wish I could live in a time where i wasn't i.d.ed everytime i buy something, but someone from an older generation decided i wasnt safe not to know everyone exact age.I wish I didn;t have to pay all this money to go to school, but someone from the older generation decided highschool wasnt enough anymore. I wish the world I lived in didn't have wars, but people from the older generations decided to start them. I wish the world i live in didn't have racism, but the older generation decided i was ok to segregate people. I wish i didn't have food that was all instant, but being born when i was, that's now the norm, and I know my generation didnt invent the microwave or intant food. Those caps on medicines sure are annoying, but someone from the older generation decided to put poison in tylenol, so now i have to deal with them.

I was born in the late 80's. I don't know life is like without computers, cell phones or google. I like the convenience of everything being instant, but it makes us kinda dumb i think. For example, i was writing a paper the other day, and wasn't finding much online, so i went to the library. I felt so stupid that i didn't know how to use the dewy decimal system to find what i needed. Another time I was at a friends house, a small get together. Everyone was on fb or texting. I was thinking ,if i wanted to interact online, i would've stayed home. I said this, and everyone wanted me to explain. I stated that people didn't always do this, when people got together they actually hung out. We all got drunk and played board games, and i was a great night.

I would love to live in a time where thing were simpler and life wasn't so detached through technology, and people actually communicated face to face. I have never received a love letter n the mail nor had someone make me a mixtape on a cassette. I love the art that come with vinyl records. There's lots of things from your time that i will never experience or know, which is kinda sad.

However, it's not the 80's babies faults. The baby boomers decided they wanted things faster, brighter, shinier to improve their lives, and as a result we a stuck with all the artificial substitutes (emails instead of letters, mp3 or even crappy cd's instead of vinyl that lasts forever. etc) instead of the real thing.

When people from the older generations complain about how the world is today, i just reply "hey it's you world, we just live in it" We didn't make it this way, we just adapted to what we were born into and now its all we know.We didnt invent the cell phones, mp3 and videos games, they were given to us, and like all other humans before us, we use what is available to us at the time. Older generations can't really complain about us when this is the world they made us and gave us.

• Like 3