Your opinion - Federal Election...

There was an interesting article in the Citizen this past weekend indicating that so far, the campaigns have done little to change voters' minds. Some of the polls taken before the election was called have barely budged. The thing is that there has been no galvanizing issue in this election for the parties to rally around. Few Canadians seem to feel the recent moral and ethical charges against the Conservatives warrant a change and it seems that Ignatieff is still too "unliked" by most voters. Right or wrong, no advertising campaign will change that. The corruption charges aren't getting the attention they deserve (no fault of the opposition, they've been hammering at them on the campaign trail since day one). Even if they were though, there doesn't seem to be anyone among the other party leaders Canandians are willing to trust with the keys to 24 Sussex. the real issue of this election, I think, is the lack of inspirational, impassioned leaders.

Additional Comments:

I just read something (and commented about it on another thread) that seems to be the defining idea of this election. The Conservatives now face allegations that they mislead Parliament about spending on the G-8 and G-20 economic conferences last year. That the money they requested became a slush fund for Tony Clement's riding (before rushing to any conclusions, this story was based on a chapter of the report that was leaked by an alleged Liberal supporter; the report was suppossed to be introduced this month but was shelved until after the election and even the Conservatives are requesting the full report now be released). I read about it first on Yahoo News where one of the first respondants to it passed it off, calling it Liberal propaganda and called the media communist pinkos trying to overthrow Harper. The problem we face is how can people make educated votes when they so easily dismiss facts when they oppose their philosophy? Getting people to be engaged and informed is no small chore itself (gossip about the Kardashians and the latest results of Dancing with the Stars will always rule that particular arena), but when people dismiss information because they don't like it?

Yes, much of the media in Canada has a political leaning, but facts don't. And granted, we don't know all the facts on this yet, but if it is determined that the Conservatives did lie to Parliament about this, how many people will dismiss that or disbelieve it? Can we then blame our leaders for voter disinterest and delusion? Or are we the ones truly to blame?

I know a lot of us are unsure where we want to place our vote. Compass didn't really help me either. Tonight may have some influence. I would be interested to hear from everyone after the Debate is over tonight.....

I live in a part of Canada where the saying rings true " 'they could run and old yello dog and get elected' The truth is , the conservatives could run and old yellow dog, that hadn't had a bath in 10 years, slobbered when he( yes he not her) spoke and admitted he was a crook and still get the seat. It is hard but I can live with it. Not everyone has to agree with me; but I am sick and tired of hearing these same people complain about our declining health care system. What in the freak did they think would happen? If you keep electing this bunch of crooks, you will keep getting the same freaking thing. If you give them the majority that they want, it will only get worse for most of us!

Over and over I see vast difference in other country between the ' have and the have not'.That is where we are headed.

It seems that I can live by example but I can't change

those around me that ' vote like my dad voted'' so I throw my hope to the rest of Canada. Please , please ; don't give those s.o._ ( letter that rhymes with "c" s) a majority. If you can, throw the ( word that rhymes with masters and starts with 'B') out of office, god bless you. After that I don't care if you choose liberal, green or, orange. I'm 100 % o.k. with a coalition. That is the way many of the best democracies in the world work.

Take care, god(s) bless . chicas/chavez

It is interesting to see how quiet this thread has become, since debate day, because most analysts have suggested that voters' preferences will shift, if they shift, in the week following the debate.

Are we in a standstill, has everything relevant been said?

At this point in time I do not believe there is a Conservative Party.

But there is a Harper Party.

What's next ?, huge posters on the sides of bulidings of our great leader ???

Well, maybe later. Lets start with a personal photo gallery.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=9c6b53f6-f0a2-4eca-93bb-559023144731

• Like 1

Guest s******ecan****

Prepare for status quo...

Barring some major twist I think we'll end up pretty much where we started....thats when the real drama could begin,though Canadian politics tends to gravitate towards the least dramatic possibility. In other words despite the bluster Harper will continue to govern and the opposition will find a way to get along with them on the confidence votes....for at least another 2 years

One thing that may cause an interesting twist. If the NDP's recent popularity gains are for real (particulalrly in Quebec), that could make for a very interesting landscape for our next Parliament. The NDP becoming the official Opposition is still a very, very long shot, but perhaps the cleaning out of the Liberal party's stale leadership that would result from such a scenario might be good in the long run. Worth watching.

I just wish we had the Mixed Proportional representation system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_member_proportional_representation

Then my vote for the greens might actually get them a seat!

I always vote for the least funded party as I figure they owe the least favours.

some truths in this link here

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/noam-chomsky/us-global-power_b_851992.html?ref=fb&src=sp

Very interesting topic, but here is my 2 cents. Because of who I work for, I shall be voting Conservative. I just hope they follow through with the proposed tougher laws on crime.

Very interesting topic, but here is my 2 cents. Because of who I work for, I shall be voting Conservative. I just hope they follow through with the proposed tougher laws on crime.

You mean the ones that won't actually do anything about crime?

Latest Ipsos-Reid survey conducted on behalf of Postmedia and Global news says:

43% Conservative, 24% NDP and 21% Liberal.

Do you believe it?

Or is it an orchestrated plan to get voters to react....?

get voters to react....?

Well I certainly hope that voters do vote-'react', if they don't, they should not bitch about the outcome.

Latest Ipsos-Reid survey conducted on behalf of Postmedia and Global news says:

43% Conservative, 24% NDP and 21% Liberal.

Do you believe it?

Or is it an orchestrated plan to get voters to react....?

The seat predictions based on the same Ipsos-Reid survey shows a even more incredible and scary picture:

Conservatives: 201 seats (the largest majority since Brian Mulroney)

Liberal : 53 seats

NDP: 48 seats

Bloc: 4 seats

Green: 0 seats

The regional numbers in the same poll are as stunning, with the NDP leading the polls in Quebec for the first time in history, but because of the distribution of the votes, mosts seats in Quebec expected to go the the third and fourth place finishers (Conservatives and Liberals), with the Bloc loosing 90% of their seats!:

NDP: 28%

Bloc: 27%

Conservatives: 24%

Liberals: 20%

It all seems too incredible to believe!

Projection shows Tories would win 201 seats for strong majority

http://www.canada.com/life/Projection+shows+Tories+would+seats+strong+majority/4657941/story.html

Edited by RobX
Additional information

Can anyone tell me how on earth conservatives are going to eliminate the 56 billion dollar deficit by 2014 while paying tens of billions on jets jails and corporate tax cuts. Are they going to cut to bones on services, including health care and burn down the public sector or they are going to hire magicians to perform magic with numbers lol!!!???.

Btw, new poll numbers suggesting the NDP surge is turning into a tsunami. The EKOS-iPolitics.ca survey of more than 3,000 Canadian adults found 28 per cent of decided voters now support the NDP. Just 23.7 per cent plan to vote Liberal. The Conservatives hold less than a six-point lead, sitting with 33.7 per cent support, with less than one week to go before election day.

This is the first poll that puts conservative under 35% in my recent memory.If true (and likely it is true because statistical sample is the largest and results most recent) then voters are finally begining to see the unethical undemocratic corrupt behaviour of conservative regime and their empty promises on deficit elimination and economy. Better late than never. Just hope it is not going to be too late lol.

Edited by S*****t Ad*****r

Btw, newpoll numbers suggesting the NDP surge is turning into a tsunami. The EKOS-iPolitics.ca survey of more than 3,000 Canadian adults found 28 per cent of decided voters now support the NDP. Just 23.7 per cent plan to vote Liberal. The Conservatives hold less than a six-point lead, sitting with 33.7 per cent support, with less than one week to go before election day.

The seat projection totals, based on the more recent polls, are indeed a lot less depressing than the previous numbers. Here are a couple of seat projections using two different methodologies:

BQ CON GRN LIB NDP

12 128 000 065 103

BQ CON GRN LIB NDP

37 128 000 078 65

Election Almanac - Canada Election 2011 - Seat Projections

http://www.electionalmanac.com/canada/projections.php

Guest s****i*

It is quite simple really... They intend to use magic... Just like the Americans And the European Union... I read about in a book once. And I saw it in Lord of The Rings. All you need is a guy with a really long beard and a magical twig and a pointy hat, you yell in a booming voice about "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" and all the debt just disappears!

True story. It's backed up by facts and what not... Accurate nine times out of ten as polled across a random selection of 1000 canadians across most of toronto and sometimes that french place.

I just hope people get out and vote. It's a damn shame we have the democratic right too vote, and to many people can't be bothered. But they will be the first to bitch and complain when they don't like what's going on.

Go Vote!!!

Damn it!!! :icon_biggrin:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I heard that there has already been a better voter turnout then the last elections!

That is awesome! It is good to know that the winners of this election may actually represent more than 15% of the population!

The latest polls are showing the Tories at around 34-35% nationally. It would be a shame if these bunch form a majority when only about one-third of Canadians vote for them because the center and left votes split between NDP and Liberal!!!.

I just hope people get out and vote. It's a damn shame we have the democratic right too vote, and to many people can't be bothered. But they will be the first to bitch and complain when they don't like what's going on.

Go Vote!!!

Damn it!!! :icon_biggrin:

I agree completely. Billions of people are not lucky enough to exercise the right to vote. Many are risking their lives facing tanks and machine guns and even worse in many countries to acquire the birth given right that Canadians have, which should not be taken as granted. Cast your vote no matter who you are voting....

NDPers! Come out of your closets. The Liberals are splitting the left vote!

I don't agree with a lot of what the NDP stands for, but I feel like in my opinion, they are the lesser of the evils!

Woo! And I believe they are not far behinds the NeoConservatives!

Sky

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I heard that there has already been a better voter turnout then the last elections!

That is awesome! It is good to know that the winners of this election may actually represent more than 15% of the population!

I know when I went to vote on Monday there was a line up out the door middle of the afternoon...turned around, went back at dinnertime, a line up but small

I voted, wasn't happy with the choices, any of them, if I had some change I might have flipped a coin

My vote is done, just waiting for the results

RG

My vote has been made as well. I will be watching with interest Monday night.

It will be interesting to see the fallout no matter which way it goes. "Fair is foul, Foul is fair".