Your opinion - Federal Election...

dear god you want to kill them!?

haha i meant the way in which politicians kind of bring their politics into the center during elections so that they can appeal to majority votes. essentially they aren't staying true to the politics that they actually carry.

I am overwhelmed that a majority of men who hang out on a review board are voting conservative. Not only the politician are hypocrites I guess!

Did Leanna VIP provoked a new election... No, franchement.

What did it?:

1. Limited access to information to journalists and public;

2. The Cons refusing to share important numbers with the elected members of Parlement;

3. The Cons wanting to make it a 'free market" the American style so that next time there is an economic crash, we really fall into a black whole with our neighbour down south.

Why the Conservatives should not be elected:

1. For all of the above

2. For their crazy relationship with the Evangelist movement

3. For their wish to abolish gay equality

4. For their wish to limit abortion rights

5. For their wish to criminalize clients of sex workers

6. For their wish to lock up more and more citizens for minor crimes like drug possession and prostitution with your taxe money

7. For the G20 and all the crazy spendings and the powers that were giving to the police

8. Because Harper is an idiot - such as his team - seriously who wishes to be rule by people like Maxime Bernier, Bev Oda, Cops, Cops and more Cops, André Arthur and Gary Goodyear....

9. Because before being a federal politician, Harper got to Supreme court of Canada to fight against public health, which he lost -thanks.

10. Because they have been found guilty of plenty of corruption and electoral fraud since they are in power

11. Because against police department wish all over Canada, they want to abolish the gun registry.

12. Because they like to create a bigger gap between the terrible big cities and a the real people living in the villages.

13. Because of their obsession over military. It is true that when some member of a party believe that gay equality is like terrorism for society, anything justify more and more money to defend yourself from all serious threats..................

I have an idea. Since I can't wait to be govern by a gang that will take us back to middle age, I will practice this weekend. Wou hou, i am so excited, !!!

I will dress up like a Middle Age lady, I will invite all the neighborhood kids to act as if they were mine, I will play it submissive and dumb (you know, as if i had no education and could hardly read), I will go to the Church on Sunday than I will fake my death due to an abortion gone bad because you know, I had to do it myself cause it is not legal to do so.

I just want you to remember about all the corruption the Liberals had in their time in the spot light.

The G20 summit was at least used for promoting Canada! (In a stupid way I might add)

But the sponsorship scandal the Liberals did was just out of this world! $hundreds of millions given to close personal friends and families of the government?

We can't win!

They are all corrupted and there is nothing we can do about it!

Lou's post touches on a major point in this election. Polling seems to indicate that more voters are concerned with economics than ethics. The Conservatives have a long laundry list of their own ethical collapses (but many who are planning to vote in May remember the list the Liberals compiled during their years in office-i.e. Adscam). So far, this election seems to be shaping up about who you trust with your money more than who you trust period. It's made me wonder if voters feel that voting on ethical issues is a luxury reserved for more stable economic times. Either way, it looks as though when we wake up May 3rd, we could very well have spent 300 million to get the same thing we had when we went to bed the day before.

I just want you to remember about all the corruption the Liberals had in their time in the spot light.

The hypocrisy involved is that the Cons posed as the guardians of public morality, as if we've forgotten the Mulroney legacy, and now the new scandals, which ought to undermine their credibility.

• Like 1

If a politician isn't doing it to his wife, then he's doing it to his country.

Amy Grant

If God had wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates.

Jay Leno

I love a dog. He does nothing for political reasons.

Will Rogers

Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke.

Will Rogers

Carry on, back to the thread folks ;)

Liberal, Tory- Same old story.
  • Like 1

Guest s******ecan****
So far, this election seems to be shaping up about who you trust with your money more than who you trust period. It's made me wonder if voters feel that voting on ethical issues is a luxury reserved for more stable economic times. Either way, it looks as though when we wake up May 3rd, we could very well have spent 300 million to get the same thing we had when we went to bed the day before.

Well if the polls are read in that way it is clear the majority do not trust the Conservatives as they are only polling in the 40% range. The reason they will likely form the government is those opposed to them are split between the Liberals and NDP.

If another Conservative minority is elected it will fall when it re-introduces the budget unless they make a deal with the NDP. If they don't the opposition will defeat the budget, the government will fall and the Liberals and NDP will work out a deal. There will be no election "do over".

Since Harper has made such a big deal about the coalition it will be hard for him to complain if one is formed after he fails to secure a majority.

I think this is where we are heading. The Conservative messaging has been horrible. The first week was nothing but fear mongering about the "coalition" but like I said above that only serves to legitimize one if the voters deny him a majority.

This week all the creepy stuff about not taking questions and doing background checks has so far ruined their week.

Its hard to see the Conservatives growing their support to the point they need to get a majority unless the Liberals really screw up.

Also,

"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal"

Emma Goldman

On the other hand, I still see the importance of voting....for now.

If a politician isn't doing it to his wife, then he's doing it to his country.

Amy Grant

If God had wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates.

Jay Leno

I love a dog. He does nothing for political reasons.

Will Rogers

Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke.

Will Rogers

Carry on, back to the thread folks ;)

In your first post you mentioned "consumer taxes" which are normally understood to be consumption taxes, the only one of which we have nationally is the GST. Martin never reduced this.

Martin did as you point out bring in reductions in income taxes but I think describing them as "fairly huge" is a bit over the top.

These tax decreases while helpful do not account for the growth we experienced from '96 to 2007. During this period of time low interest rates led to at first normal, and then eventually excessive borrowing by consumers. Canadians spent like there was no tomorrow and that the party would keep on keepin on. Our crappy dollar also gave our exporters, (particularly commodities) and advantage, despite the costs the low dollar imposed on consumers (imports for consumer items etc more expensive) the Martin government was content to pursue a "low dollar" strategy for lack of more imagination.

I'm am curious as to why you are so against Conservative economic policies when you seem to constantly praise Martin's tax cut and deficit reduction program? You should be more sympathetic to Harper as they are the tax cutting party in this election.

Yes you may have a point on the term used, "consumer" tax cuts rather than personal income tax cuts. By consumer I meant personal tax cuts causing huge consumer spending as perons are consumers not corporations.....but you are correct.

Personal income taxes were cut every year and for several years. The tax cuts were significant especially for those in Ontario where we got also significant provincial tax cuts at the same time. As I mentioned between 1998 to 2007, interest rates were quite higher than they are now, so I don't think low interest rates alone explains the longest and strongest economic expansion in Canada. It was the right policies adopted by Paul Martin. He eliminated the deficit while giving Canadians personal tax cuts. A miracle indeed. Low dollar and expanding US economy helped too as you mentioned.

I am dead against conservative economic policies because they score a total failure when it comes to either deficit reduction or tax cuts. Their records speak well for themselves. The conservatives increased the deficit from 30 billion to 45 billion between 1984 and 1992 and again they eliminated a surplus and created a 56 billion dollar deficit between 2006 and 2010. Their records show and they fail miserably on deficit reduction which is against their platform indeed. On the tax cuts, again their record shows they cut taxes for the rich and corporation not for the ordinary hard working woman and man in this country. Only Paul Martin did it right and Liberals will likely do that again if they get a chance. I am against tax cuts for the rich and well off (so that they travel more and spend more of our dollars overseas). I only support tax cuts for the hard woking poor and middle class and that is not a conservative policy. On spending side they spend on fighter jets and military rather than health care and the needy. I am dead against that too.

On ethics... well I have spoken about this at length in my earlier posts and everybody is aware of that. They failed miserably again on ethic and accountability and they only had a minority government. God help us if they form a majority lol.

Edited by S*****t Ad*****r

Good points, but I have a suspicion that if we come out with another Conservative Minority, Ignatieff will either step aside or be pushed by the Liberals, paving way for leadership convention (and everyone might remind Ignatieff that he has tried to distance himself from the idea of a Coalition during the campaign). I don't see the Liberals forming a Coalition without a leader. And Jack may also step aside for health reasons, allowing the NDP to look for some fresh blood. Besides, I think he's taken the NDP as far as he can. And even Mr. Harper's job may not be safe if he failed to lead the Conservatives to a majority in his third try.

The Left is sufering from the same problem the right did during Jean Chretien's years. Chretien was elected to three consecutive majorities while conservative voters split their votes between the PC and Reform and then the PC and Alliance.

Well if the polls are read in that way it is clear the majority do not trust the Conservatives as they are only polling in the 40% range. The reason they will likely form the government is those opposed to them are split between the Liberals and NDP.

If another Conservative minority is elected it will fall when it re-introduces the budget unless they make a deal with the NDP. If they don't the opposition will defeat the budget, the government will fall and the Liberals and NDP will work out a deal. There will be no election "do over".

Since Harper has made such a big deal about the coalition it will be hard for him to complain if one is formed after he fails to secure a majority.

I think this is where we are heading. The Conservative messaging has been horrible. The first week was nothing but fear mongering about the "coalition" but like I said above that only serves to legitimize one if the voters deny him a majority.

This week all the creepy stuff about not taking questions and doing background checks has so far ruined their week.

Its hard to see the Conservatives growing their support to the point they need to get a majority unless the Liberals really screw up.

• Like 1

Guest s******ecan****
I am overwhelmed that a majority of men who hang out on a review board are voting conservative. Not only the politician are hypocrites I guess!

I don't think its respectful to call supporters of the Conservatives hypocrites. There are many reasons why someone might choose to support them and I see no contradiction between supporting the Conservatives and being on this board. Many of you no doubt know I have written many things critical of the Harper government.

If your point is that the Conservatives will outlaw Prostitution well perhaps that is a risk. Still there is no guarantee we won't get a similar intiative from the left in the guise of combating exploitation. Most of us are well aware that it is illegal in Sweeden (a left leaning country) to pay for sex.

I'm not sure how I'll vote yet, I'll consider many things and probably wait until election day to make a final decision.

If your point is that the Conservatives will outlaw Prostitution well perhaps that is a risk. Still there is no guarantee we won't get a similar intiative from the left in the guise of combating exploitation. Most of us are well aware that it is illegal in Sweeden (a left leaning country) to pay for sex.

In Canada it has been a CONSERVATIVE MP with support from her colleagues who has been openly campaigning to send hobbyists to 6 months in jail for consensual sex. I remember that in 1991 they were trying to ban strip dancing in Alberta (not sure if they actually did it or not). These are the same bunch of people. Former prominent reform party members now have taken control of conservative party of Canada and that is likely why we see extreme right wing acts like facebook secret police monitoring people's facebooks and kicking out female students and cover ups and deceives and corruptions and scandals and more cover ups lol.

I let Lou respond herself, but in my view it is very strange to say the least that many hobbyists would vote conservatives or worse wish for a conservative majority when in good probability a conservative majority would implement the Swedish style of prostitution in Canada as described above which would send them to jail for hobbying!!!!!!!!.

I think that what I said was honest and I beleive it. It was not mean or rude, just simply honest. I did not say they were "this and that", just hypocrite with a ! at the end of my sentence. People got to learn to laugh at themself. I am the one being honest about my point of view and risking to lose business here. Plus, I don't believe that my affirmation will keep any guys from sleeping tonight. I am the one losing here but guess what, I am the kind of person who stands for what she believes, no matter what.

I am well aware of what happened in Suède and the context of it. The wikileaks Assange story made me see clearer in regards of what happened in Suède in 2006 when they voted for all kind of non sense laws regarding sexual assaults and prostitution. Not that I am a blind supporter of Assange, I have no clue if he should be found guilty of anything. My views of Suède laws have nothing to do with what he did or not.

The political party who reacted the best when Himel was made public is the Liberal party. Their reaction was smarter than any other, Bloc and NDP included. However, I don't vote in regards of prostitution laws, it sure has an influence but there is more to life and good government than sex work

I think I gave a list of reasons why I dislike the Conservateur, and I could had more and more to it. Economie and there vision of it is in my view as dangerous as there views of social issues. Just take a look at Ireland and the United States where coprporations and free markets rule the countries... Not going well.

And yes I do recall le scandale des commandites. Yes it was the liberal. No, they are not the same team now, the leaders that were there at the time are gone. Regardless of what they did then to keep Québec in the Federation, I still way prefer them than the Conservatives, mainly a bunch of Tea Baggers and Evangelists where reason comes second to religious beliefs and where society has a group has no meaning at all. I am an atheist but guess what, I apply way more some of the values preached by the religion they value so much. Conservateur care about profit, profit, me, myself and I and free speech only when they are talking, not the others...

Thanks for all the billionaires and great fortunes who still believe that paying taxes and sharing wealth is essential for a healthy society. Thanks god that all rich are not Conservateur.

11. Because against police department wish all over Canada, they want to abolish the gun registry.

Sorry Lou but I have to correct you on this one!

The PC's brought in the gun registry, and they are the ones holding on to it! It is the Liberals and the NDP who want to abolish it, because it is costing sooo much money, and has not made a difference on the crime rate in Canada!

http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/media/nr/2007/nr20071116-2-eng.aspx

The Long-Gun Registry: Costs and Crime Statistics

Costs

• In 1995, the previous government told Parliament that the firearms program, most specifically the long-gun registry, would involve a net cost of just $2 million (Auditor General's Report 2002, Chapter 10).
  • In May 2000, the previous government admitted that the costs had actually ballooned to at least $327 million (Auditor General's Report 2002, Chapter 10).
  • By March 2005 the net cost of the firearms program was $946 million and by summer of 2006, costs had exceeded $1 billion. The Auditor General stated that Parliament was misinformed about many of these costs. (Auditor General's Report 2006, Chapter 4).
  • Neither the costs incurred by provincial and territorial agencies in enforcing the legislation, nor the costs borne by Firearms owners and businesses to comply with the legislation have been calculated. (Auditor General's Report 2002, Chapter 10).
  • Two Library of Parliament studies estimate that the enforcement and compliance costs are substantial, running into hundreds of millions of dollars. (Compliance Costs of Firearms Registration, 10 October 2003; and, Estimates of Some of the Costs of Enforcing the Firearms Act, 20 March 2003).

Crime Statistics

• There are nearly 7 million registered long-guns in Canada. Yet of 2,441 homicides recorded in Canada since mandatory long-gun registration was introduced in 2003, fewer than 2 percent (47) were committed with rifles and shotguns known to have been registered. (Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics).
  • Illegal smuggling by organized crime is by far the principal source of firearms on our streets. Indeed, the Vancouver police report that 97 percent of firearms seized in 2003 were illegal guns smuggled in from the United States, usually by organized crime (Vancouver Police, Strategic Plan 2004-08).

I am sorry Shortcake but I beleive we don't get our information at the same place. The Liberals are the one who introduced it, not the PC. The PC platform for that last 6 years involves abolishing it. The NDP wants part of it to be abolish or part of it change.

Harper was in Québec this week saying that if he has majority, it is one of the first thing he will do.

It was saved lately because Layton could manage to convince some of his elected members to keep it. They were no "ligne de partie" to follow when they voted on that issue.

If it costs so much, it should be relooked at to make it costs less but not abolish. I know that problems with arm won't all be solved with it but all cops association around Canada are saying that it does help them in their work and that it prevents casulties or death of both the population and the cops.

For me, a gun is a gun, no matter if it can shoot 17 at a time or 1.

• Like 1

That is correct. The Liberals brought gun registry. It was introduced by Liberal government of Jean Chretien. The intention was to reduce crimes by making guns traceable. Harper said he will abolish it if he wins a majority. I agree with your statements. The registry should become cost effective but not abolished. Gun is for killing and yes it is gun that kills but NOT SO without any person behind it pulling the trigger lol.

All governments have corruption and scandal in them to some degree. Perhaps it's cynical of me, but I become a lot more concerned when the scandal and corruption gets in the way of the functioning of the government.

Did the sponsorship scandal impede government? Nope. It was also more than a decade and a half ago.

Have the recent scandals impeded government? Absolutely. And that's why they are a problem.

Besides the point, if you pledge to clean up and right the ship and improve accountability and transparency, you'd better be sure you're going to be held to a higher standard. The excuse of "well the other guys did it too" doesn't work when you got to where you are by saying the other guys acted wrong.

Guest s******ecan****

Are they really fiscal conservatives?

More evidence the Conservatives are afraid to take on the vested interests.

Harper pledges to keep dairy policies

The dairy marketing boards were brought in to help support small family farms to cope with fluctuating prices for their products. They had their place in an earlier time. Now however they impose a unfair burden on consumers who pay artificially high prices to "family owned" but typically wealthy and highly profitable farm enterprises. In my area local dairy producers are very well off, not because they are successful business men/women but because they are shielded from competition and consumers are forced to pay higher than neccessary prices for their products.

There is no longer a compelling social need to protect and preserve the "family farm" as the vast majority of Canadians no longer reside on one. Its time to end these ineffecient anachronisms that only further enrich an already prosperous segment of our population.

One would think a truly fiscally conservative party would be courageous enough to target this type of economic anomaly but politics trumps principle again as pandering perpetuates higher costs for the consumer.

We all know that our government system is not perfect.

I like the idea of geving them a minority government it forces them to work together, if we as canadian's keep this up maybe some day they will get the message. I will not hold my breath though.

I hear the Charlie Shean is trying to put a party in to run for Prime Minister. Interesting he sure cannnot do any worse hte the rest.

• Like 1

The Conservatives and Liberals, at the end of the day are opposite sides of the same coin...interchangeable.

I saw what the NDP did to Ontario especially with some family members that worked for the province (everyone else calls it lay offs, Rae called it a Social Contract, and now he is with the Liberals, sorry for the rant)

Not fond of Harper, but detest Iggy, so like I said previously, it's the best of bad choices, Conservatives it is.....but I'm not happy about any of the choices

RG

I think that most of people posted have indicated that each party has its own short comings and faults (some indicated voting for the less of two evils likely feeling with majority of Canadians) THEN LETS NOT GIVE THE LESS OF THE TWO EVILS A MAJORITY. Lets not give them a blank cheque or a free hand to do whatever they want, unopposed. Right now conservatives with their unCanadian dictatorial behaviour and unethical acts are flirting with a majority as most polls put them between 40 to 42%.

I resisted reading this thread until today, and I must say that I found most posts remarkably civil and broadly well-informed.

I'll keep my opinions for myself, at least for now, but here are some points I noted.

Information on the Vote Compass can be found here votecompass.ca. While it may be in need of further fine-tuning (or a good old shake lol), it has been built with the advice of some of the most well-known Canadian political scientists specialized in analysing voting patterns: Professors André Blais (U. de Montréal), Elisabeth Gidengil (McGill U.), Richard Johnston (UBC) and Neil Nevitte (U. of Toronto).

As for voter turnout in 2008, or other time, statistics can be found here: http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=ele&dir=turn&document=index&lang=e

The trend of the past twenty years does not look good.

As for most male cerbites leaning on the conservative side, I got the feeling the issue is not that clear cut. Yes, many have voiced support for the Conservative Party (no signs of the PC anymore, these days are long-gone), but about as many have voiced support for the Liberals and NPD.

Can't wait to watch the Leaders' debates.

I haven't tried the compass yet, but thought I'd throw out there that I talked to a friend about it today. She's a staunch Liberal, yet she tried the compass and didn't come out Liberal. She came out Bloc!

Apparently her mostly Conservative co-workers came out as a mix of NDP, Liberal and Conservative. So, to those who say it's rigged, I say I have more doubts today than I did before.

Can't wait to watch the Leaders' debates.

The french-language debate is to be shuffled to Wednesday from Thursday due to the Bruins Vs Canadiens hockey game ;) and guess what!! All those a-hole Leaders agreed upon something for a change IMAGINE THAT they got something done all together :)

A little info.....

An average of 1.3 million viewers tuned in on French-language RDS to watch the Habs' first-round playoff defeat of the Washington Capitals last year, with the figure for the decisive Game 7 reaching 2 million.

By comparison, 1.4 million people tuned into the French-language leaders' debate in 2008.

Edited by PistolPete
Changed a couple of words