Your opinion - Federal Election...

The Bloc should only be able to vote on Quebec issuse they are not a National party.The Bloc are seperatist they vote against everthing that is good for Canadians they only vote if it is good for Quebec. The Liberals have voted against everything in the past 4 yrs. Iggy only came back to Canada for one thing he thought he could be PM after he looses this election he will be turfed like Dionne was and he will head back South

Edited by jg24

Guest s******ecan****

The Bloc does not exist to promote QC independence, it is in Ottawa to defend QC values and interests within Canada -which I believe is absolutely legitimate. When it comes to vote on international matters, the fact that a party represent the population of only one province doesn't make it less legitimate or against Canada in itself. Until now, we are part of Canada so we have the right as any other Canadian to partake in debates and decisions concerning us all. More than anything, one should not forget that having the Bloc in Ottawa also benefits all provinces when the Federal tries to gain control over provincial's competence. I believe that all provinces should have parties like the Bloc -though it would also implies having a different political system.

I agree with your post except for this passage re the Bloc. Yes its true right now they are content to keep quiet re Quebec independence that is only due to the fact there is not enough support for that idea in Quebec. They would return to this in a heartbeat should a PQ government gain power in the province.

There are so many things in this thread to comment on... but I will only touch on 2 right now.

When people say that we get the government we deserve, they are not looking carefully at the electoral system we have. IMHO, this is the problem. If a parliament was created that reflected how Canadians actually voted, it would look entirely different. There would be representatives from the Green Party on the floor, far fewer conservatives, and more regional representation. And the dynamics of the Bloc would be different as well. I find it incredible that a party can be in power when it only receives 36.3% of the national vote...

The second issue is the perennial frustration expressed by many that elected officials "get three months vacation".... I work in this area and can tell you that the workload of an MP often increases when the house is not sitting. MPs go back to their riding, perform many duties, and many parliamentary committees continue to work. It is not a vacation at all.

I think that we do our political system, and indeed our country, a great disservice when we trash elected officials - of any political stripe. If we want high quality people to go into public office (which for many represents a major income reduction) we need to respect them more. Good people will go into politics when the system works better and when we, as Canadians, realize the work they do for us.

There are idiots in the House of Commons. There are idiots everywhere. But there are also many (a majority) that are well intentioned people trying to do the best thing for their constituents and the country. This is true of all parties - including the BLOC.

If you look at how the Bloc votes and operates in committee, it will become clear that while their allegiance is to Quebec and, ultimately Quebec independence, they are also quite functional at times. Bloc members make very substantial and solid contributions in all kinds of ways. Do I like the party? No. Does it piss me off that they are there to break up Canada? Yes. But we can't ignore the contributions they make.

Yes, the job has its perks. Most jobs do. But I think we have a responsibility to better understand it before we pass judgment.

Sorry i am rambling... These are just some pre-coffee reflections on a Sunny Monday.

I quote from mrrnice2's post

"However, at this time I AM challenged to maintain a sense of idealism, but I refuse NOT to vote."

This is an interesting way of putting it, because on my initial cursory reading and the underline NOT I understood you were going to protest by not voting, but after another look it's not so.

In this country the percentage of people not voting is now far exceeding those that do. I think it's mostly laziness, but a certain number don't as they don't believe their vote counts, or in some crazy way it's a protest. In one comment I saw, a member said they think they will vote, when it should be I will vote

So, be a good citizen, don't grumble and gripe unless you cast that ballot.

And just to be a little partisan, lets kick this bunch out.

Guest s******ecan****

I think that we do our political system, and indeed our country, a great disservice when we trash elected officials - of any political stripe. If we want high quality people to go into public office (which for many represents a major income reduction) we need to respect them more. Good people will go into politics when the system works better and when we, as Canadians, realize the work they do for us.

Sorry I couldn't disagree more. Its not up to us to "respect" our leaders. Our politicians "owe" us their best efforts at all times, thats what public service is suppossed to be about. Its a myth that most MP's suffer a reduction in income when going into politics. Most in fact undergo a dramatic and lasting increase in their fortunes both directly and indirectly.

I also find the suggestion that if we would realize the work they do for us then "good people" will go into politics a little bizarre. Sounds whiny and I challenge anyone to find empirical evidence to support this odd theory.

I don't share most people's complete contempt for politicians. Many are indeed earnest well meaning individuals. However none of them get my respect by default or because they hold office. I find the term "Honourable Member" to be a throwback to the times of class superiority. I refuse to ever address a member of Parliament so.

We are lucky enough to have a simple voting system, very few time waiting in line, simple ballots -just take a peak down south in the USA at how it can get complicated to even being allowed to vote.

Peopel who are not voting are weither lazy, ignorant or carefree. In too many countries, people are killed when they exercice their right to vote. If you don't wish to vote for any of the name on the ballot it is fine with me but at least show up and cancel your vote by writing something that you should not on the ballot.....

For the one who pretends that the Bloc votes against Canada, I would love to have one evidence, exemple of it? Just one!!!

Edited by Lou

It is interesting to see that just under 60% of Canadians voted in the last federal election and that was the lowest turn out for a federal vote, there are a few other cool insights from this blog as well;

http://www.wlu.ca/LISPOP/fedblog/

Guest s******ecan****

For the one who pretends that the Bloc votes against Canada, I would love to have one evidence, exemple of it? Just one!!!

Its no pretending. The Bloc's platform is to help create the conditions neccessary for Quebec Independence. They don't try to hide that objective which they share with the PQ.

They have never renounced that aim in any way. If you want evidence read their platforms and ask their MP's and party members, they won't hesitate to confirm it.

I have read the Bloc platform on multiple occasions, they have been there for over 20 years. They are not hiding their desire for Quebec independence such as their belief that it is the only way for Québec to emancipate. However, it is not in their platform to create independence while exercing their work in Ottawa. What they have done since they were first elected demonstrate it clearly.

I can understand with your handle that you are a proud Canadian and that is absolutely fine but you got a be fare when it comes to analyse what happened since the Bloc is there.

They are plenty of Québécois who are not in favor of independance who vote for the Bloc and I guess there is a reason for that.

Lou

I guess I didn't articulate my thoughts properly. I am not saying we need to respect all politicians. What I am saying is that before one takes shots at them for being lazy, not working much, taking long "vacations", we need to become aware of the work they are actually doing, that's all. Many, if not most people have a totally inaccurate view of what it is to be a member of parliament - from the work involved, the kind of schedules they keep, etc... and those views do a disservice to the role. And my point is that good people often avoid politics because it is such a maligned profession.

I, for one, see it as service to the community. I know several MPs personally and see the workload, the schedules, etc... I have seen first-hand why it is one of the professions with the highest divorce rates...

In terms of financial remuneration, it is ridiculous. My view, and it is only my view, is that we get what we pay for. MPs get a base salary of 155K. Yes, there are other benefits, but it is by no means a way to get rich. These are the people we expect to run the country and yet we pay them way less that people with FAR much less responsibility in the private sector. If the pay was better, we could demand more... and get more.

Anyone with real experience managing large budgets and organizations will fetch a much higher salary in the private sector.

I am not whining at all - I am just stating some facts and my personal interpretation of them. Not all will agree - which is just fine.

But I personally think it's insane that the PM makes just under 300K a year while the CEO of the TD bank makes 8 million... the average NHL payer 1.7 million, and on and on.

It's disappointing that just over 50% of Canadians actually vote. There are people around the world - currently, by the way - willing to die for the right to have a democracy and the right to vote.

Harper is an arrogant dictator. He is using fear to shape this election around the opposition forming a reckless coalition. He is power hungry, willing to do and say anything to get his majority. He points out that this is an unnecessary election in a time when our economy is fragile. And that the only option is a Conservative majority. I guess the issues of the day are not important to him.

Well, what was Harper trying to do in 2004 in meeting with his fellow opposition parties and sending a letter to the Governor General. He recommended to the GG to review all options available if the minority Liberal government should face a vote of no confidence in the house, and lose. A COALITION!!! is what he was trying to create. So, in 2008 when the country was on the verge of an actual economic crisis - that was a good time for him to call an election? But now it's unnecessary? Get real! I think his governing style is unnecessary and reckless.

The Canadian people have spoken twice now regarding the Conservatives and Harper. And a minority government is what they want. They want the parties to work together on the real issues...Health Care, Jobs, Economy, etc...put aside partisan politics and make it work. They don't trust a majority of any kind. If Harper spent as much time trying work together with the other parties - and actually be a leader for once - as he does trying to get his majority, we might get somewhere.

Perhaps a third Conservative minority and he'll finally get the message. Be a leader, work together. Sadly, I doubt he will. So bring on change, a Liberal minority.

If you all have time, to write about what party you are/might be voting for, try giving this link a click and answer the questions,see the results when completed.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/votecompass/

Then tell us if it has possibly changed your views, on who you are voting for.

Personally I don't believe the Bloc, nor the PQ for that matter really want an independent Quebec. An independent Quebec would turn into a Third World country, but while a province of Canada, threatening independence, look at how the feds capitulate to alot of their demands. Quebec is more powerful as a province in Canada than as an independent country

At least that's how I see it

RG

• Like 1

Guest tr*****e

PistolPete, I took that questionairre and finished it. It said I was closest to the Liberal Party. I personally don't mind their middle of the road thinking, but I'm not sure I trust Michael Ignatieff. Funny, the other party I was closest to was the Bloc, and Gilles Duceppe was also the leader I thought most competent. Kind of a sad reflection on the way our politicians get looked at, fair or not, isn't it? Ha, I'll probably vote NDP or Green Just because everyone else is so good at making me daydream about a parody of the House of Commons dancing around and singing 'Thriller' by MJ. XDDDD

MPs may make a smaller salary than they might in the private sector, in terms of their official salary. But how many of them coincidentally get a gravy "consulting" job from one of their biggest campaign contributors the second they step out of office? How many just happen to have their blind-trust investments increase by hundreds of times while they're in office? They make out like bandits in way too many cases.

As far as the Bloc wanting to divide/break up Canada, it's the Cons and Libs who have signed agreements to allow american soldiers onto Canadian soil, which concerns me a lot more than giving sovereignty to people who want it.

I will be spending a lot of time considering my vote this time around, (I'm currently leaning against the major parties), but its the strategy that interests me the most. Notably the lack of it in the Liberal and NDP ranks.

The Conservatives will most likely win again. Recent polling reveals that Canadians seem far less interested in issues of accountability and principle than with economic ones. Few voters seem to give the recent Contempt ruling and other revelations about hidden spending much more than a passing glance. And if the Liberals are planning on trying to make that issue the centre of their platform, everyone planning on casting a vote this time around will most likely remember the Sponsorship scandal, the issue that originally toppled them.

Plus, not too many swing voters (who form the majority of people who go the voting booth these days) seem to like Micheal Ignatieff. And simply put, if voters don't like you they don't vote for you. Harper isn't exactly Captain Charisma, but he seems to be tolerated more than Ignatieff is liked. The one plus the Liberals came out of the last election with was their ability to replace Dion with someone who could inspire more people to vote Liberal. After the whole coalition debacle, they did indeed turf him; only to replace him with someone who seems to be just about as unpopular with voters. And has anyone seen the Liberals platform yet? Their current battle cry seems to be "Vote for us because at least we're not the Conservatives!"

And if you want to form a majority you have to win Ontario. Most of the seats in Quebec will go to the Bloc, so Ontario is the key. And it just so happens that Ontario is gearing up for a provincial election next fall and a lot of voters are very upset with Dalton mcGuinty's provincial liberals over things like the Health Care Premium and the HST. Wonder how much of that discontent translates into votes for the Conservatives?

The funny thing is, if the Conservatives win a majority, it will be at the expense of seats gained from the Liberals and NDP, who helped precipitate this election (another bullet in the Conervative spin-gun; even though they knowingly provoked it with their budget). And if on May 3rd Stephen Harper wakes up the leader of a majority government, he should send Micheal Ignatieff and Jack Layton some roses in thanks.

Yeah, the fundamental problem is that the left-of-center vote is split between the Liberals, NDP, Green, and Bloc. Right-of-center voters can just pile on the Conservatives. I seem to remember the Conservatives getting seriously trounced back when the Right was briefly split between the Progressive Conservatives and Reform.

A coalition of the current opposition parties would be the most democratic way to rule the country, since between them they represent the majority of the voters in the last election. I personally hope that despite Ignatieff's pronouncement, that's the way things go after this next election -- but that's just me.

I will add one thing: I'm tired of governing a country being treated like the running of a corporation. A nation is about FAR more than its balance sheet. Our government is *us*. It should embody our national identity and further our unique social interests, not just get out of the way so businesses can make as much money as possible.

Balancing the budget is an important responsibility of the government, because without a sound economy none of the social welfare and national identity concerns can be addressed: there would simply be no money. But that's the ONLY reason why balancing a budget is important -- to let the government do the rest of its job, which is advancing the Canadian cause inside and outside of our borders.

I want each successive government to proclaim that we are CANADA and THESE are the things we stand for -- and then further those things. I don't even mind if the parties list different things, provided they list them in their platform and reflect them in their policies, and then let me choose the ones I identify with come election time. But right now I'm just seeing a lot of lukewarm stuff clustered around a familiar center. No passion, no identity, no view into the future -- just pushing the same few pieces around the board in the same tired old way. No wonder nobody is inspired to vote. It's enough to make one spoil their ballot: "I'm awfully proud of this country, and NONE of you represent what I expect from the government of Canada."

There was one ting touched on in a previous post about the pay of MP's. Regardless of what one thinks, 155K is still pretty generous and more than any firefighter, police office, peace keeper or paramedic makes. Those are the people on the front who protect us and safe lives, often at their own peril. Personally, it turns my stomach a little to see any politican making more than a fire fighter who charges into a burning building to save a child or a police officer who has takes a bullet in the line of duty.

• Like 2

I agree entirely... we have pay scales all wrong. It seems that some of the most important jobs (teachers, police officers, nurses, garbage removal, etc) are wildly underpaid, while many professions that bring little social benefit are paid far too much. But I still think that those who govern the country ought to be on the high-end. That being said, I think we need to hold them to a much higher standard.

There was one ting touched on in a previous post about the pay of MP's. Regardless of what one thinks, 155K is still pretty generous and more than any firefighter, police office, peace keeper or paramedic makes. Those are the people on the front who protect us and safe lives, often at their own peril. Personally, it turns my stomach a little to see any politican making more than a fire fighter who charges into a burning building to save a child or a police officer who has takes a bullet in the line of duty.

Guest s******ecan****
MPs may make a smaller salary than they might in the private sector, in terms of their official salary. But how many of them coincidentally get a gravy "consulting" job from one of their biggest campaign contributors the second they step out of office? How many just happen to have their blind-trust investments increase by hundreds of times while they're in office? They make out like bandits in way too many cases.

Exactly.....not to mention their pension plan which is unrivaled in the private sector.

If you all have time, to write about what party you are/might be voting for, try giving this link a click and answer the questions,see the results when completed.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/votecompass/

Then tell us if it has possibly changed your views, on who you are voting for.

Pete, that's a great post. The CBC was promoting the Vote Compass over the weekend, so I decided to check it out. Wasn't sure what the results would be (Liberals?) but was quite interested.

The results...it appears I'm closer to the Liberal party. It's what I thought going into the questionaire. While I don't share all of their views, it's the party that I was closest to.

At the risk of sounding totally ignorant, but I wonder if anyone can explain to me about "contempt of of Parliment" Is this the same as being held in contempt of court? And why is this now an issue so close to election? How are we to look at the issues at hand, and sort threw that mess at the same time? If a different party gets the vote, does this issue and the people involved have to answer to this?

At the risk of sounding totally ignorant, but I wonder if anyone can explain to me about "contempt of of Parliment" Is this the same as being held in contempt of court? And why is this now an issue so close to election? How are we to look at the issues at hand, and sort threw that mess at the same time? If a different party gets the vote, does this issue and the people involved have to answer to this?

Here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contempt_of_Parliament

Essentially the opposition wanted info, but the conservatives didn't provide it ...

At least it's the official stance of the opposition.