My former employer could be described best as a contractor, in my years of service I have made friends that work directly for the contractee. Some of my friends have informed me that my former employers supervisor has been making negative comments about not only myself but another former employee. I was there for 18 years after leaving for a better job 3 years ago I fail to see what possibly can be gained by this type of trash talk now.

I am upset about this, but am also very glad that I am out of there, the place just seems toxic now if that makes any sort of sence.

Should I do anything about this or just leave it alone............

Thoughs

Well it is slander and could potentialy affect you later down the road,however do you have hard proof to back you up should you choose to go after them for this is the question. Either way be happy it is over for sure and best of luck.

Jolie XoX

I would consider taking the high road...people are judged by their actions, not their words. Hanging onto resentment is letting someone you despise live rent-free in your head. Either way, best of luck to you.

Edited by emb3750

Shitheads can be found everywhere, in our work lives, our academic lives, even in our extended social groups.

Imagine if you took the time to worry about every knob that had something negative to say about you? That sounds like all sorts of irritation and hassle.

Don't give this idiot a second thought as he clearly has no social graces.

Whenever I encounter something like this, I take a step back and say to myself, "What would Yoda do?"

the_empire_strikes_back_yoda_lifts_xwing.jpg

In this case, Yoda would use Jedi mind tricks and make the ex-boss expose himself in public. If you can't work the Jedi mind tricks, just let it go... be the bigger man...

Solidify your reputation with the new employer, that's the best action and he's the one that will give the reference next time, if you need a new contract.

As for your former boss, take him to court, that's a lawyer and lots of money. Ignore him and it'll go away, he's the one getting the bad rep at the moment.

Guest s******ecan****

I would also say let it go. The libel laws in this country aren't much good anyhow so you likely have no remedy.

I'd say let it go, too. After three years, the guy is muck-raking, at best. It really doesn't look good for him to be trashing someone who isn't there to defend himself about things that happened quite a long time ago, now. Lawsuits only make lawyers richer, and slander is difficult to prove since you have to demonstrate not only that he said whatever he said but that it wasn't true (and he knew it) and that what he said caused you some kind of damage. In other words: the bar is pretty high.

Beeing in the same thing I took the high road and if I was asked about it I told the truth and let my work stand I might be flawed but I have neer perfect workmanship, I hope to keep my record up.

It would be a waste of your time and resources and would lower yourself to his level. He sounds like a class A moron, let him rot-he's obivously unhappy and one of those people who can only find some measure of satisfaction in belittling others.

Whenever I encounter something like this, I take a step back and say to myself, "What would Yoda do?"

the_empire_strikes_back_yoda_lifts_xwing.jpg

In this case, Yoda would use Jedi mind tricks and make the ex-boss expose himself in public. If you can't work the Jedi mind tricks, just let it go... be the bigger man...

Lol!

As much as I freakin' love the Star Wars reference, I have to politely disagree. A proper Jedi would never abuse The Force in this way, for that is the path to The Dark Side! ;)

:icon_lol: Absolutely right, Surf!

And as a Jedi Master once said, "This little one isn't worth the effort."

You have to take the high road and ignore the little small-minded people who badmouth you behind your back. Don't get dragged down to their petty level.

Aww shit! as if you busted out some Obi-Wan!.... And as if I just typed that....

Clearly it's time for my drunk, stoked-on-encountering-another-Star-Wars-nerd sorry ass to bed!

My former employer could be described best as a contractor, in my years of service I have made friends that work directly for the contractee. Some of my friends have informed me that my former employers supervisor has been making negative comments about not only myself but another former employee. I was there for 18 years after leaving for a better job 3 years ago I fail to see what possibly can be gained by this type of trash talk now.

I am upset about this, but am also very glad that I am out of there, the place just seems toxic now if that makes any sort of sence.

Should I do anything about this or just leave it alone............

Thoughs

I have been through that also, but you should see it as a form of flattery. If anyone ask you if what he is saying is true, then why did he employ you for 18 years.

Sound to me that this former boss is threatened by you as he knows that you are capable of doing what he was doing and probably better. In my experience, the person doing the trash talking is usually not telling the truth.

Remember, if you were that bad of an employee then why waste time on trashing you?

Thanks everyone .........

I am of the same opinion, as the most you have posted leave it be.

Alot of the comments are right on what I have though of this supervisor.

There is a big difference between being the Boss and being Bossy. Has never learned that and has been supervisor before but could not handle the job.

The new employer has offered me promotion already from Supervisor to Manager, but I turend it down because I was not at that level yet, alot closer now then I as when they offered it to me 8 months in. Might just take it next time it comes around, we shall see no hurry.

Yesterday was just one of those off days you know, tired, and that gossip just hit me the wrong way. I fell better now though going to get some sleep, then pick up my friend and his wheel chair up and go out for lunch.

Thanks again for the advice.........

PS. If anyone has a spare million dollars or two just collecting dust I will be more then happy it give it a good home!

Edited by jughead

I have lived through this as well. Best thing to do with gossip is treat it like fire... starve it of oxygen. Ignore it. To do anything else is to give it more credence than it is worth.

I do entend to ignore it I guess I just need to vent to hear from someone else that it was the right thing to do.

Thanks again everyone.

If the rumors started are true or false you must do nothing, in either case it will backfire on you and you will look like the bad guy.

Here is a story about rumors started about me and how it all ended. I live in a small town 1 hour away from Ottawa, someone started a story about me and it got to one of my sister in law boyfriend who knows me very well but this guy did not know about our relationship.

When he heard the false story about me, he then asked the guy how well he knew me and the guy just said "I know of him but not personally", my friend then told him the truth and told him that if he was to repeat a stupid story like that to anyone that he should have the facts to back it up.

Moral of the story if someone is dumb enough to believe a story about someone they don't know then they don't deserve to be a friend.

My advice is to leave it be.

It's just trash talk, by a small minded person. My 18 years service speaks for itself. I agree with many of the statmenets posted here, I agree this person is threaten, Jealous, in too deep and does not realize it.

As I have said, when I started this thread, the comment just hit me the wrong way, an off day, tired it all you know. So much so I was even thinking of sending an email to the owner of the company I used to work for, instead I posted here.

If you haven't been working there for a few years now, I would let it go. It is his reputation that will be hurt as most people don't respond kindly to those that trash talk others. There is not much you can do but just ignore it as you no longer have direct contact with him. It's definitely not professional imo. It sounds to me like he is regretful for seeing you go elsewhere and realized he lost a good worker but seems that he has to be rude about it.