Sign in to follow this  

Ontario Saying Goodbye To Drive Clean

Thank goodness! I have only ever driven Buicks (Motor City Woman here😄) and the circuits on them post 2008 are not worth the metal they're made of, I  always have had issues with check engine lights on my past 3 Buicks, even GM couldn't figure out how to solve it.  All three I had to do some serious manuvering to get the correct paperwork. I used to dread renewing my tags. I always wondered exactly how these tests are supposed to accomplish anything, since they don't really measure anything except a computer reading (  which is easy to override or counterfit) and I've seen many clunkers on the road which if emmissions is the issue, they really shouldn't be on the road...

I guess common sense has finally dawned on the government, at least in this case! *phew!*

Edited by LuxeMulvari
  • Thanks 1

I agree, Drive Clean was nothing but a cash grab on the part of the government.  If all they wanted was an additional $60-$70 (whatever the rate was) why not just up the renewal rate for plates?  Biggest scam was when I bought a car (private sale) I had to get the E test done at that time when I took ownership. Some three months later my birthday came and plates done then.  Guess what, had to get another E test.  And I've never had a car/truck that failed a test.  Sometimes solution for check engine was tightening the gas cap (or replacing it)

Glad it's going away, a waste of money

RG

• Like 1

This part of the article says all we need to know about emission testing.

But as cars got cleaner and cleaner, the then $35 test became an irritant for drivers especially after it was revealed by the auditor general of Ontario that the vast majority of vehicles pass and the worst polluting vehicles were exempt from testing.

I lived in Washington State for a while and they had the same thing. Because my Pick-up came from Canada, even though fairly new and very well serviced and maintained, I had to do the tests every year to get my tabs. At the same time, countless cars and trucks on the freeway every day polluting like crazy because they were old enough to be exempt from the test. Like you say, nothing but a cash grab and an utter waste of time.

Hey RG, I just sold my car, and I'm sure it was stated in the used car package issued by the registry that it was the sellers responsabilty to have the test done.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Boomer and in fact I was aware of this when I bought the car. I bought it from a family member when she got sick and permanently lost her licence.  Done more to help her because I actually didn't want the car. I even agreed to cover the safety and everything.  There was no surprise to me that it needed an e test.  But the shock to me was some three months later, to get the plate permits on what was now "my" car and on my birthday it needed another e test. Even the lady at Service Ontario was surprised but said that was the rule

It was just a cash grab, nothing to do with a cleaner environment

RG