Etiquette Question - Tipping

I just realized that I haven't been tipping my RMT...

Are you supposed to if it's at a clinic and not a spa?

Will she look at me funny... is it like tipping your doctor?

Guest T**E******s

Cat- Your posts are well written and extremely helpful in displaying the life of most SP's, and view points, thank you. Would that more of us were able to compose such concise statements, that manage to not offend, while still conveying a crucial point. Myself included.

@All posters, I would like to respectively point out the meaning of the acronym TIPS (To Insure Prompt Service). Anything given after the service has occurred is a gratuity, to show how grateful you are for the level of service you were provided. I'm somewhat surprised this didn't become a topic in itself, given the banter.

Any time anyone receives a gratuity in any service industry, I'm sure it makes them stop, smile and appreciate that there are wonderfully preceptive people in the world. It can take an ordinary day, make it extraordinary and brighten your outlook on life itself. Thank you to all the people who do that for others. I'm not just taking about money, as others have mentioned, it's as simple as a complimentary word or thank you.

Well as I have gained a little more experience in seeing ladies I'll add a few more thoughts

I give a tip and gift. Some view this as a business transaction only. Well, yes and no, it is a business unlike any other. Where else can you have an intimate escape for a few hours, and in some cases, within the confines of the sp/client relationship, make friends. There are no other comparisons that I can think of

There is, in my opinion, no hierarchy of services by provider. By that, I mean that the services provided by a sp and a ma, while different, are not greater/lesser. The ma provides an intimate but different (not lesser) service

That said, my tip/gift is not going to be less for a ma because she is an ma

I haven't seen a lady from an agency, but if I did, after reading Cat's post, the lady won't get a gift, but a higher tip

I like the gift card idea, I try to pick something the lady can use. Unfortunately my male brain being what it is, gift cards seem the best choice. I do read their websites to get an idea. Once, recently, it was cash (don't like doing that really) but recalled a post from the lady a few months earlier about something, and thought the cash would help

As for the gift aspect, well one thing to think about. I like the gfe, what guy doesn't give his girlfriend a gift. Not that I'm needing a reason to do it, but for those that do, well, consider it part of the gfe, the part where you give your gf a gift. BTW at least with me, the gift normally comes at the beginning of the date, the tip at the end

Some more morning ramblings

RG

Guest o*etw*****e

This was a very helpful thread to read through. Worth the time.

However, I was very surprised to read a few things:

1 - How agencies work. Makes me second guess using one.

2 - That a lot of SPs think Canadians aren't great tippers.

3 - That a lot of SPs "don't expect it" to which I think they're just being polite.

If you're a gentleman, you'll tip nicely with the exception that it was horrible.

Guest d****s

I'll tip for good service. If someone just does the job or less, no tipping. With the ones that give really good service I'll repeat every chance I get and just pay more up front. I do believe in always tipping your bartender, waiter, barber etc; but there is a big difference in dropping an extra 8-10 bucks for so so food service with a 50 dollar bill. Than ponying up an extra 100-150 for a girl who didn't meet expectations, just did her job and ran you 600-900 dollars already.

I know I am replying to this thread late, however I only actually started reading this board less than a week ago.

Since I have been reading a lot of the different threads getting information I had seen posts mentioning tips popping up in a lot of different ones. I was really starting to wonder if I had blown it whe dealing with a few different SPs. After reading this I don't believe I did, however I do believe a tip for appreciation of the service provided is a good idea. I know I worked as a bartender years ago and they were important to me. One of the big concerns before I read the thread was giving to small of a tip so it would be considered insulting. After reading all 11 pages ..:) I think I have a good idea of what would be appropriate and not considered an insult.

I do want to thank Cat for putting up a lot of good posts explaining the SP's side, it was great to get a good perspective from the other side.

I always tip 20-40$ just to be appreciate! One time I tipped 100$, excellent service :) girls really appreciate it even if its only 20 bucks

Good questions, SP's are different than MP in that they get paid up front. There is a service expectation with the amount paid and that is discussed when paying at the beginning of the session. If you are really impressed with the value than repeat with that SP, if you don't intend on repeating because for some reason, than tip in advance then you get your mileage. It is not a general practice to tip after service with an SP, I may from time to time buy them a gift if I see them regularly.

I like this answer. Personally I don't expect a tip, but have been delightedly blown away when I received even a small gift like a cup of coffee or a glass of wine waiting for me on arrival. It's just the little things that can make such a huge difference, you know?

:)

• Like 1

It's just the little things that can make such a huge difference, you know?

:)

IMHO: It's the little things in life which is glue that binds! ...like butterfly kisses and sexy super-heroes ;)

As an independent provider, I offer an all-inclusive rate; however, I also appreciate small gestures as an appreciation for the level of service I provide. This doesn't necessarily need to be a monetary amount (although this is also welcome) - I love receiving little things that thank me for the time spent, such as cards with a few personal words, a cup of coffee, a bottle of wine to share, some flowers to decorate my incall, a mix CD of songs you think I'd appreciate... Something that speaks to our time spend together.

• Like 3

Bea,

My wife is an RMT at a chiropractic clinic in Ottawa. Although she never expects a tip, she won't refuse them, and has received her fair share. A struggle RMT's deal with constantly, is to be seen as a "legitimate" health care provider, as opposed to the --other-- type of massage provider, and tipping plays into that negative image (no offense to any MA's reading this). As she has said repeatedly, "You wouldn't tip your family doctor or dentist, would you?".

Guest s******ecan****
Bea,

My wife is an RMT at a chiropractic clinic in Ottawa. Although she never expects a tip, she won't refuse them, and has received her fair share. A struggle RMT's deal with constantly, is to be seen as a "legitimate" health care provider, as opposed to the --other-- type of massage provider, and tipping plays into that negative image (no offense to any MA's reading this). As she has said repeatedly, "You wouldn't tip your family doctor or dentist, would you?".

Interesting point, and no I would never tip them but to me that has more to do with the fact they're already well paid.

I tip SP's when I feel the service has been top notch, but one has to be careful, if you tip an SP and then see her again, the tip may be almost expected and could be awkward if not offered (ie was there something wrong tonight?)

Re unusual tips I recently had a trip to the emergency ward and knew in advance I would be there a while but had no choice (needed about 5 stiches). Sure enough about a 3-4 hr wait which was not bad, but while there I noticed the triage nurse and admin worker caught a lot of heat and abuse about wait times from a number of patients.

The next day I went back with a Tim's card for the staff to share as they saw fit as a small thank you for showing up for what must sometimes be a difficult job

Although we don't tip our doctors, dentists and such, I think we should always show gratitude for excellent service. I take my providers a little something for the holidays and their birthdays just to say "Thank you, I appreciate what you do for me." I wouldn't hand my doctor or mechanic a cash tip but their eyes certainly sparkle when I give them an envelope with an LCBO gift card or a bottle of their favorite poison. With time, perks seem to appear. I have most of my providers cell phone numbers and can text in the event of a general inquiry or a situation arises. How many people have their doctors cell phone number? Not many, but I have found it certainly is handy to have. The important thing isn't the gift itself, it is the acknowledgment of appreciation for those who have a genuine committment to providing the best service they can...

cat

• Like 1

Guest t****ster***ke

it has been my experience that regardless of the sector of the service industry, a thoughtful gratuity goes a long way. there seems to be a wide spectrum of reasons people have given for leaving a tip - from wanting to reward good service, all the way through to wanting to provide incentive for better service. obviously, the former reason is more admirable, but there's also nothing wrong with the latter.

as it relates directly to this service industry, it's always a good idea. the best example i can think of was when a courtesan i saw agreed to accommodate a certain kink of mine. i included something extra in the donation envelope as a way of saying thank you for having such a non-judgmental attitude and for fulfilling a long-time desire in advance.

what followed was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, one which i will never forget. now, it is entirely possible that she goes that extra mile in every situation, regardless of incentive, but i have a feeling that showing my appreciation did not hurt my cause at all :)

basically, tips are a way of showing someone in the service industry you liked their service and that you appreciate the fact they provide it. who doesn't like having their hard work acknowledged, after all?

Due to the very unique nature of this lifestyle (yes, it is a business, but one unlike any other) in which a lady allows you to be with her in the most intimate way, a tip and gift allows me to show my appreciation to the lady for the escape she provided me. For me, the companionship a lady provides far exceeds the donation requested, so yes, to show my appreciation, she will get a gift and tip

RG

My 2 cents....

I never expect a tip, but will certainly not refuse one. If you have requested an item that I list as an "extra", then the appropriate tip for this service is expected, but nothing more. Sure cash is appreciated, but gifts are always a nice token too... as the old saying goes; "it's the thought that counts"

I know tipping isn't expected, but on those occasions when you have the WOW factor, you'll know it's the right thing to do. When I meet a lady and we click on several dimensions, money is the last thing on my mind. A truly memorable get-together is one that's worth repeating.......it's safe, it's pleasant, it's comfortable, it's fun........heck, it's a girl-friend-experience. The girl that temporarily makes you stop perusing CL and BP ads? Tip that lovely lady.......... she just made a difference in your life.

Guest *****gr

Well. As I write this I finally got the monkey of my back and had my first sp and well, first encounter ever. I was so nervous but she really knew how to keep me relaxed. I am feeling like crap though.. I miscounted my donation + tip and I only found out now(3/4 ways home.. oc transpo in ottawa -2hour trip) and I don't know what to do..

I had paid for the full encounter, but I tipped incorrectly only leaving $20 tip on a standard 1hour session. Before I left she counted and I asked if everything was set and good and she said yep perfect, but my gut tells me she was just being nice? I don't know sorry for spewing but I feel like crap. What should I do? If I went there by car I would have already settled the issue but I am using public transit. If people live in Ottawa they would know how annoying it is to bus from Trim to an obscure location in the west..

I'm just so worried the tip might have came across as insulting to her and it definitely wasn't intentional. She was working for an angency, I have already pmed them as soon as I found out but contacting her directly is not an option. Help!

Relax... I know that's easier said than done. You paid the correct fee. She confirmed it was the right amount. As this thread has pointed out, tips aren't usually expected and a little extra isn't going to be taken as an insult.

It sounds like you had a wonderful time. You should see her again. Repeat business, as many have pointed out, is the sincerest form of flattery in this occupation, not whether you left $20, $50 or $100 and never see her again. If you feel that strong about it, you can leave a double tip the next time. I'm sure you'll both have a good laugh about your current state of mortification ;-)

I'll share a story of my worst payment faux pas. Hopefully it will provide some perspective on your experience. I actually forgot to pay someone once! Imagine how that would feel :-( Fortunately it was someone I see regularly so she knew I wasn't trying to pull a fast one. I had the envelope with me, but we were so used to each other's company, that we both overlooked the payment. Usually, the first thing I do is place the envelope, so something like this doesn't happen. To make matters even more complicated, we met in a city that neither of us lived in and we both left town the next morning. In the end I sent her the money using Interac or PayPal.

These things happen... hopefully not often.

Edited by cyclo
Typo

Guest *****gr

Thanks for the reply. As soon as I arrived I had put the envelope down and I just, thought I had counted fee + tip correctly only to realize I actually didn't put the intended amount inside the envelope. @.@