Any scotch drinkers out there?

Just enjoying a baseball game with a brand new bottle of Lagavulin 16 I just opened. I will be savoring this one for a while.

My other favorite single malts include Laphroaig (yes, I like Islay malts) Glenlivet and Macallan, and I also enjoy Johnny Walker blends (Black and Winston Churchill's favorite, Red).

I'd also love to see if any of our ladies here are scotch drinkers?

Edited by Kubrickfan
spelling

Currently enjoying a bottle of 21-year-old Glenfiddich. Ahhhh. I do enjoy both Lagavullin and Laphroaig, as well as Bruichladdie. I'm not into the blended brands (although if I'm ever given the opportunity to try Johnny Walker Blue ...) myself, more of a single malt drinker.

Not a lady, but definitely a scotch drinker. Although a Kubrick fan who drinks scotch has me wishing you were a lady.

Langavulin is amazing!

Never had the 21 year Glenfiddich, but pretty much any of the 12, 15 and 18 year glenfiddich single malts agree with me just fine!

Johnny walker black label is my favorite for making Rusty Nails (tried the green label once, disappointing), but otherwise I could take it or leave it.

As well, Ballantine's 12 year is okay now and again

How does everyone drink theirs? I like mine in a nice short rocks glass with a touch of ice

Additional Comments:

April: I was just thinking the same thing when I replied to this thread, I actually checked to see if you started it, lol!

I prefer single malts as well, but there's nothing wrong with an occasional blend as they are very drinkable and good when the occasion doesn't lend itself to savoring every drop.

Additional Comments:

LOL Surf Nazis Must Die and I were just talking about Scotch! Too weird. I like Glenlivet!

Posted via Mobile Device

Yeaaaah!

Most excellent choice and a good starter if you want to try single malts.

I think its almost genetic whether you like scotch or not ... some people dont like the taste or smell at all.

I prefer single malts as well, but there's nothing wrong with an occasional blend as they are very drinkable and good when the occasion doesn't lend itself to savoring every drop.

Such as occasionally getting loaded? ;)

Such as occasionally getting loaded? ;)

Yeah, something like that (smile). Plus, they're easier to obtain at most bars. I prefer mine, by the way, with a few cubes of ice and a splash of spring water. I know that's blasphemy to some scotch drinkers, but I'm a lightweight.

Actually, come to think of it, I dont ever think I got drunk on scotch ... I've gotten drunk on Canadian Whiskey (ggdamn Canadians ... smile) and (embarrassingly during college) Galiano once ... boy that hangover was nasty.

Edited by Kubrickfan
Additional thought

I just chill the glass, Ice makes me mad in anything.

Posted via Mobile Device

Additional Comments:

Also I wanna run to the LB now and try so many things, I am just getting into scotch

Posted via Mobile Device

Guest W***ledi*Time
... single malts ... How does everyone drink theirs? ....

Adding a drop (literally) of water to the scotch seems to really release the flavours and aromas. No more than a drop, though!

Yeah, something like that (smile). Plus, they're easier to obtain at most bars. I prefer mine, by the way, with a few cubes of ice and a splash of spring water. I know that's blasphemy to some scotch drinkers, but I'm a lightweight.

Actually, come to think of it, I dont ever think I got drunk on scotch ... I've gotten drunk on Canadian Whiskey (ggdamn Canadians ... smile) and (embarrassingly during college) Galiano once ... boy that hangover was nasty.

A bit of spring water doesn't bother me, it's rednecks who mix it with coke. It makes me wonder if they order their steak well done with a side of ketchup as well.... Apes...

Btw, a scotch drunk is fun. You're still just some drunk oaf, but you got to that state in a classy manner! :P

To April: DO IT! Go forth and explore the wonderful world that is scotch! :)

Guest Ou**or**n
Adding a drop (literally) of water to the scotch seems to really release the flavours and aromas. No more than a drop, though!

Aaah, a gentlemen who knows how to drink scotch.

My favs are Springbank, The Macallan 18 (as previously mentioned) as well as Talisker.

Talisker is among my favs, too, OutForFun, along with Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Bruichladdich.

And I agree with you and WIT on how to drink it.

I'm into single malts as well, mostly peaty ones such as lagavullin and laphroaig.

I must admit I sometimes put a small ice cube in the glass, but purists will say that a very small drop of quality water (spring or from a very good municipal watersystem) is all that is needed.

Getting drunk on whisky is quite special as it may lead to blackouts, which happened to me twice. No fun to deal afterward with friends' stories regarding this or that misbehaving episode one has no memory about (though I sort of recall that before blacking out I was already a handfull!) and no ground to say whether the stories are true or not.

Just enjoying a baseball game with a brand new bottle of Lagavulin 16 I just opened. I will be savoring thsi one for a while.

My other favorite single malts include Laphroaig (yes, I like Islay malts) Glenlivet and Macallan, and I also enjoy Johnny Walker blends (Black and Winston Churchill's favorite, Red).

I'd also love to see if any of our ladies here are scotch drinkers?

Johnny Walker black... yummm! no ice.. nice and warm in the winter.

As to Lagavulin and especially Laphroaig (given its strength), I really get the sense I can taste the sea air ... its wonderful.

I must admit I sometimes put a small ice cube in the glass, but purists will say that a very small drop of quality water is all that is needed...

Very true indeed!

There are mainly two reasons why I chose to add a very small ice cube into my glass:

The reccomended room temperature of 15C for a scotch may sometimes be well over that therefore a tiny ice cube helps. I personally have a very difficult time appreciating a scotch that is way too warm.

By definition, Scotch is a strong alcohol (between 40 and 60%); adding a tiny ice cube, just like water, permits you to taste the scotch at different alcohol rates.

But I'm not a true scotch afficionado but still enjoy it very much from time to time :)

I've been a scotch drinker since I started drinking a long time ago. My favourite is Laphroaig, but I also have a special fondness for Bruichladdich and Johnny Walker Red.

When I was growing up, my mother taught me that a lady never drinks scotch neat (that is, without ice or water). Well, I think that there are too many things that a real "lady" isn't supposed to do, so I ignored that advice for a long time. Then I learned about the incredible wonders that just a drop of fresh water can release from scotch and I've been a strong adherent ever since.

I must say, though, that I also enjoy Irish whiskey, from time to time. Tullamore Dew is a favourite. It's a blend, but lovely, too!

It's a date next time I see you, Sophia: a whiskey tasting.

A different whiskey with every course ;)

Think of a sexual activity: which whiskey would go best with it?? We'll plan an menu....

Guest s******ecan****

I'm not a scotch drinker at all, but reading your comments its clear a lot of you are passionate about it. I found this website that might interest you. Of course I 'canna vouch for its veracity or objectivity.

50 Best Single Malt Scotch Whiskey