Any scotch drinkers out there?

I'm not a scotch drinker at all, but reading your comments its clear a lot of you are passionate about it. I found this website that might interest you. Of course I 'canna vouch for its veracity or objectivity.

50 Best Single Malt Scotch Whiskey

that's actually a pretty good list ... I just wish there was more description of the regions and the differences in characteristics between them.

Yes, a good list. Thanks, Scott. The Bunnahabhainn from Islay is another of my favs. (pronounced Boon nuh HAV een).

Not much of a fan of the Islay malts, a little too smoky/peaty for my taste.

I like almost any other single malt though.

For the blends JW Gold is IMHO a much nicer drink than Blue at 40% of the price.

Remember that Scotch should be poured and let breathe a little in the glass before drinking, the taste does change over the first few minutes after pouring the drink. This is a common mistake for first time Scotch drinkers and they end up not liking and appreciating it as much because of it.

Fine Scotches like fine ladies should be enjoyed slowly.

For the Islay lovers, Caol Ila and Ardbeg are both also very good. And I'd second Cato on the Talisker. My current favorite is my bottle of 12yo Auchentoshan... but not for long, 'cos it's nearly done, alas...

For the Islay lovers, Caol Ila and Ardbeg are both also very good. And I'd second Cato on the Talisker. My current favorite is my bottle of 12yo Auchentoshan... but not for long, 'cos it's nearly done, alas...

I remember partaking in a bottle of that last year (Auchentoshan)! Nice hints of burnt toffee and caramel

Does the Mayflower still put on their 14 Flavours of Scotland promotion? I used to live around the corner from their Elgin location, and that promo got me into scotch.

You have impeccable taste, Phaedrus!

There's a new social group devoted to wine and whiskey:

http://cerb.ca/vbulletin/group.php?groupid=71

I have added some basic information on wines, for those who are curious to know more. Types of grape used for red and white wine, and another section on Rosé wines.

Enjoy!

Guest m**_m*****n

On the rocks, bring it anytime anywhere. Scotch is the flavor of the month every month for me ;)

I was at a company event on the weekend at one of the nicer restaurants in town. They had a 1971 Macallan on the menu fro $150 an ounce.

I was tempted, but settled instead on a Dalwhinnie 15.

Here is the best way to piss off a scotch drinker!

Crown royal and 40 creek are the same as scotch!!!!

This gets my buddy going every time!

Does anyone know of nice Scotch bars in Ottawa and Toronto that are the equivalent of Montreal's Whisky Café?

Just finished a bottle of 18 year old Highland Park, rich and smoky.

And you didn't leave me any? :cry:

Another time, my friend!

• Like 1

Love this thread and delighted to see many of my favourites listed here.

I just returned from a weekend in NYC and got over to Park Avenue Liquor Shop, which is not and has never been on Park Avenue by the way, great liquor store in Manhattan.....brought back a 21 year old Auchentoshan and the 18 y.o. Bunnahabhain, both of which are now in my whisky "cellar", waiting for the right occasion (or the right lady to share some with?).

My current favourites are Bruichladdich, either the 14/15 year old "Links" series or some of their more recent French wine casks and the 18 or 21 year old Highland Park. I discovered Bruichladdich when they first re-opened the distillery and started releasing some of the wonderful malts sitting matured in their casks. Some friends of mine loved them so much that they took up the Cask Offer that Bruichladdich used to have and are now awaiting maturation, bottling and delivery of their very own.

I only hope that I'll still be friends with them!

Clachan a Choin!

• Like 1

Nice to see some love for Talisker. A lot of my friends find it too strong but I always have a soft spot for it as it really was my first single malt scotch that I learned to enjoy - which means neat with good friends on a cold night in Armagh, Northern Ireland.

I always like the wildness of it. Nothing warms up better in the fall and winter then a nice glass of Talisker. Definitely like many of the others mentioned here, especially Highland Park.

After reading this thread, I need to get a dram or two as it has been awhile.

Lagavulin 18 yr is my favorite even though the price jumped @ more than 20 bucks a couple of years ago.I like blended scotches as well Johnny Walker Blue is a smooth drink good finish kind fo expensive, JW Red for Rusty Nails my favorite cocktail and I dont mind it staight either it has a bite the flavor is there and the price is right.Macallum of course 18 and 25 and Craganmore is OK along with may others mentioned before this post

I did see a bottleof Scotch in the Calgary Airport Liquor outlet for $16,000 I dont remember the name asked the clerk if she ever sold one (I wasnt buying one) she said she sold the odd one ,they (the buyer) must have closed a nice deal to buy one