You should probably prepare yourself for more than a few posts citing sins and wrongs committed by the Liberals during their years in power. Right from childhood, a person's first argument to defend themself or what they like is "Yeah but they did this!" We also tell our children that two wrongs don't make a right. Pity adults don't heed any of their own lessons. On other boards I have even seen users post long laundry lists of one party's errors and scandals to counter accussations against their party of choice. It's an interesting commentary that they don't try and defend the party in question against the accussations, merely list the other team's losses.

Guest tr*****e

Un-Canadian, Un-progressive, and Un-popular. That's my description of Stephen Harper. These reasons only back it up.

Good of you to start this Sky. I just watched parts of the television debate and I admit I got a little frustrated that not enough of the sh*t that Harper has done made it in. It seems that there is no one big thing but a lot of smaller things he has done that can easily be forgotten or excused by the PCs. What I find particularly offensive is what he did to the census. Inexcusable! Is he making this up as he goes along?

Of course if you are a Harper fan, this will not change your mind at all.

Edited by Jazzitup
improved the wording

When will the Liberals pay back the money they stole from Canadians in the Adscam scheme

Posted via Mobile Device

I beg to differ!!. The liberals may indeed have done some wrong doings but they are in the past and current liberal leader has nothing to do with them. Not so with conservatives. Their wrong doings is present time and keep accumulating and the current leader has everything to do with it. So respectfully this is the difference

http://exile.wordpress.com/2011/03/24/scandals-conservative-party-of-canada-2006-2011-always-under-construction/

Warning - The attached file is a list of recent wrong doings by the current conservative administration headed by Harper since 2006. It is large enough to freeze your computer for a while while loading it because IT IS SO BIG :-).

Edited by S*****t Ad*****r

Guest W***ledi*Time

Power corrupts, (almost) inevitably. When the members of each (and pretty well every) government, in turn, develop and demonstrate an overweening sense of their own entitlement to special considerations, and also an attitude of not really being fully answerable and accountable for their actions ... it's the voters' job to turf them out of power.

The corrosive influence of power can then begin to work its insidious damage on the integrity of the members of a new government, until their resistance crumbles and they gradually bow to its evil influnce themselves. And so on.

Corruption damages democracy and the fair treatment of citizens as nothing else does. The voters have to keep engaged enough to know when the limit has been reached - and to know when a change is appropriate.

You should probably prepare yourself for more than a few posts citing sins and wrongs committed by the Liberals during their years in power. Right from childhood, a person's first argument to defend themself or what they like is "Yeah but they did this!" We also tell our children that two wrongs don't make a right. Pity adults don't heed any of their own lessons. On other boards I have even seen users post long laundry lists of one party's errors and scandals to counter accussations against their party of choice. It's an interesting commentary that they don't try and defend the party in question against the accussations, merely list the other team's losses.

I don't really know where you got the impression that me posting this was somehow pro-liberal. To be frank, I think all parties misrepresent the beliefs I hold of what it would look like to live in a more just world. I was merely pointing out that the Harper government has destroyed much of the gains that social movements in this country have achieved and have been working on for a long time. I don't think the Liberals are much better and I'm not sure why everyone keeps playing this game of 'either or'. It's quite telling of both our political system and our electoral system.

Sky

• Like 2

You claim that "the Harper government has destroyed much of the gains that social movements in this country have achieved and have been working on for a long time".

Can you provide one example of this?

You claim that "the Harper government has destroyed much of the gains that social movements in this country have achieved and have been working on for a long time".

Can you provide one example of this?

Sure. How about the 11 women's groups that Harper defunded in one week's time back in June?

or how about the defunding of Sister's in Spirit, a grassroots organization dedicated to raising awareness about the missing and murdered Aboriginal women in this country?

or how about the government's stance on sex work? That it's not the government's "obligation" to "protect" sex workers from a "dangerous" profession of their choosing?

or how about his lack of action on climate change at international meetings?

shall i go on?

• Like 1

And how about the contempt of parliament and how about his lack of respect for democracy and his arrogance and how about his close secretive campaign and how about the face book secret police and how about scandals after scandals by his government and advisors and all that FROM SOMEONE WHO PROMISED TO BRING ACCOUNTABILITY to the political scene of this country and how about... shall I go on......

He has broken the long Canadian tradition of respect for democracy and that is the worst that any leader can do in a democratic country.

Yes the liberals too have their own (plenty) wrong doings and as I have said before, for me at least it is a less of two evils. NDP stands more for what I believe but I know my vote for NDP is in fact a vote for conservatives as it will divide the center-left vote. Also though I like Jack Layton but the years of NDP Bob Rae in Ontario still haunts me lol.

Edited by S*****t Ad*****r

Sure. How about the 11 women's groups that Harper defunded in one week's time back in June?

or how about the defunding of Sister's in Spirit, a grassroots organization dedicated to raising awareness about the missing and murdered Aboriginal women in this country?

or how about the government's stance on sex work? That it's not the government's "obligation" to "protect" sex workers from a "dangerous" profession of their choosing?

or how about his lack of action on climate change at international meetings?

shall i go on?

I can't give you more rep, but I love you so much. BAM BAM!

No, you don't need to go on.

I just asked for some concrete examples instead of vague comments. I didn't intend for you to take offense to that, but clearly you have.

Can you point me to the statements that Conservatives have made that it's not their obligation to protect sex workers? I truly don't recall them making any such statements.

Thank you for that link, Alexandra. I was not aware of that court case, and I agree that the federal government's position here is not a good one.

The safety of sex workers, whether the activities are legal or illegal needs to be the most pressing concern.

• Like 1

Truth is I am completely tired of the rhetoric, hyperbole and spin.

No doubt the Conservatives made errors as did the previous Liberals. I am tired of American-style attack ads and those of you that promote Web sites such as one mentioned above are part of the problem, not part of the solution. Promote ethical and open dialog. Stand on what your candidate and party will do, not what the other guys did.

Here's an example:

Debates have become nothing more that speaking points and sound bites.

During the debate both the Liberals and NDP rolled out grand plans that they would put into place during the next four years. When asked where the money comes from, they both indicated it would come from money saved by cancelling the F35 fighter acquisition. The only problem is this is money that would have not been spent for about 10 years down the road -- but most Canadians don't know that.

Wonder why so many Canadians are apathetic about voting? There is no doubt the way the political campaigns are has a lot to do with it.

Satin

• Like 2

Being mostly politically neutral and ignorant myself today's cartoon in today's herald pretty sums up my feelings about the election

Brucex15_3.jpg

STEPHEN HARPER was visiting an Ontario primary school and the class was in the middle of a discussion related words and their meanings.

The teacher asked Mr. Harper if he would like to lead the discussion on the word 'Tragedy'.

So our illustrious leader asked the class for an example of a 'Tragedy'.

A little boy stood up and offered:

If my best friend, who lives on a farm, is playin' in the field and a tractor runs over him and kills him, that would be a tragedy.

Incorrect, said Harper. That would be an accident.

A little girl raised her hand:

If a school bus carrying fifty children drove over a cliff, killing everybody inside, that would be a tragedy.

'I'm afraid not', explained Harper, that's what we would refer to as a great loss''.

The room went silent. No other children volunteered.

Harper searched the room.

Isn't there someone here who can give me an example of a tragedy?

Finally, at the back of the room, little Johnny raised his hand and said:

If a plane carrying you and Mr. Ignatieff and Mr. Layton and Mr. Duceppe were struck by a 'friendly fire' missile & blown to smithereens, that would be a tragedy.

Fantastic, exclaimed Harper, and can you tell me why that would be a tragedy?

Well, said Johnny, it has to be a tragedy, because it certainly wouldn't be a great loss, and it probably wouldn't be a fucking accident either!

• Like 5

Well here is where I get tired of the spin put on this by people and the press. All the opposition parties jumped on Harper about ethics and contempt of parliament. The big one in the debates was the "leaked" DRAFT of the AG's report. Firstly it was a draft that was circulated to the departments concerned to correct factual errors and collect further data. It was not the final report, and the AG herself said that. That report was circulated in confidence and was to be treated as secret, for many reasons, not the least of which the damage an error could cause.

Release the report, the opposition says, but that is against the law. Read the law that governs the AG and you will see that it must be tabled in parliament first. A part of our great democratic tradition. It is tabled and debated in an open forum governed by parliamentary procedure, not on the hustings where nobody is held accountable for their words or actions.

So we have leaders spouting about another's ethics and contempt for parliament using a document they know was obtained through theft or violation of a person's sworn oath. The employee who leaked it, (purportedly a Liberal partisan, but I cannot confirm that) did so in violation of the trust the people of Canada placed in that person.

So we are to believe that the other leaders are so morally superior and respectful of parliament? They chose to go on the attack using evidence they know is factually incorrect, was obtained illegally, and because the report by law, is to be tabled openly in the House of Commons first, was used in contempt of the very same parliament they say they are protecting? Bull shit, it is political opportunism plain and simple. Bottom line, the whole lot of them are challenged by the truth.

This isn't a rant in favour of any one party or leader. It is me saying I am sick and tired of the hypocrisy espoused by politicians of all stripes whenever they open their mouths, egged on by a press corps that thrives on scandals (even if they have to create them) and special interest groups who are looking out for nobody but themselves. Give me a break.

• Like 6