How do you feel about the banning of herbicides and pesticides?

I spent 2 entire days pulling weeds from my gardens and from the lawn. Today, I am sitting here, nose running like a tap, watching the dandelion fluff float thru the air landing all over my weed free property. I do understand the dangers of these products but my allergies are screaming in protest. I am tempted to drive across the border and smuggle some in LOL! What are your views on this subject?

I will go with you across the border Meg! I want to smuggle some back too!

I really dislike seeing the weeds on my property. I guess it is better for

the environment. However, I estimate that I mow my grass (er..I mean my weeds) about 30% more

now than I did before the ban. All the extra pollution from my lawn tractor can't

be good for the environment either. But I just hate the sight of the yellow flowers and the white fluffy weed heads.

Posted via Mobile Device

When I was last in The States (about 8 months ago) I picked up a large bottle of Killex which is very much banned...at least in my province. I save it for spot treatments on my property as opposed blanket coverage mostly due to the fact that after one application the bottle would be empty. I can however hire a professional company to apply the same product I used to be able to purchase off the shelf two years ago! Such is the nature of the law here in P.E.I.

Lots of people make dandelion salad and dandelion wine. I'm not one of them, spray the suckers!

Good news is that the dandelion season seemed very short this year, my yard is done blooming already for the most part. Or perhaps they fear my lawn mower since I sharpened the blade! BTW, instead of being environmentally responsible regarding the weeds I use a "green" rechargeable lawnmower. At least it's something ..... lol

The next step will be the city fining us for not taking care of the weeds on our properties.

Posted via Mobile Device

Meg, your yard can't be all that big now here is a suggestion: get some "round up" I think it is still available in Ontario spray your lawn with it. Once you have no more grass get an outdoor carpet set around your property and you will have no more grass to cut or weeds growing. There is also the fake green grass they put in baseball stadium.

My yard is pretty big...both front and back...I would need stock in Round up LOL...besides, I don't think you can buy it in Ontario any longer.

The next step will be the city fining us for not taking care of the weeds on our properties.

Posted via Mobile Device

In a nearby small town one guy did nothing to cut his grass this year and last week the town sent there man to cut it with the town lawn tractor. I wonder who will pay the bill?

Additional Comments:

My yard is pretty big...both front and back...I would need stock in Round up LOL...besides, I don't think you can buy it in Ontario any longer.

I heard it is available in Quebec, just cross the bridge.lol

I called Nutri lawn and they came and did it. There is a program they use where the weeds are killed in 48 hours. I did this for both lawns. Yes, it cost me money (over $200 with other lawncare services) but I don't have time to pull out weeds one by one. So it was well worth it. The invoice they left me was $68 for the weed killing.

note to self.....travel with weed killer for extra gifts.....

man does that sound wrong!

• Like 2

I thought the ban on those products was only the city of Ottawa and not the whole provice of Ontario. As for getting it across the bridge I hope that you are refering to the bridge that crosses to the US because you will not find it in Gatineau because the province of Quebec has banned those products.

Of course all the stores like Canadian Tire and Home Depot are advertising the New Eco Friendly produces but who knows if they really work.

Does anyone know if they can get it in small town Ontario like Perth or Hawkesbury?

I say your best bet is a trip to Ogdensburg and get the real stuff!

Was that sort of law supported by a majority of the population? Or is this just an example of a small, vocal minority insisting on inflicting their will on everyone else?

In the US, we have a limit on potassium in fertilizer, but I think Weed-B-Gone, Round-up, etc., is still widely available.

Amongst our neighbors in this quiet crescent, we have an unwritten understanding here, details as follows;

1. Check with neighbors before application (pets & kids safe) first and then apply freely.

2. No need for "midnight fertilizing"

3. NOTWITHSTANDING CLAUSE - since municipal parks, privately & publicly owned golf courses are exempt from the ban, I consider that putting every now in the yard, combined with neighborhood kids playing on or near the lawn that (constitutes a park) I am now exempt.......

Musings from a guy who hates having to define common sense - now on to the best butts posts.....

G11

There is a bi-law in my city that prohibits weeds in your yard. Hense I can be fined for not killing my weeds. But the problem is I bought the new stuff that is ok, and all it did was fertilize them! FRIG, Meg if you are smuggling some, would you bring me back some too? I will pay you double, hell triple what you paid for it!

Posted via Mobile Device

How do I feel about banning pesticides in the city ?

"Ladies home journal". At best "The urban gardener"

Will someone please remind everyone to get their minds ' back in the gutter' or at least what your grandma might say is ' in the gutter'.

( half in jest, .. half serious)...

Guest s******ecan****

We're a few years into our ban here and the effects are showing. The neighbourhood lawns are getting worse every year.

I dig the dandelions out with a special tool (very slick) which works better than any spray because it hauls the whole weed out roots and all, I had this tool long before the ban came along. Other weeds though are not so simple and they are flourishing.

There's been a lot of science lately about how chemicals and other pollutants in our environment may be the reason for increases in various cancer. But having said that, politicans are not the first people I think of who make my safety a priority (otherwise smoking would be illegal and we wouldn't wind up with another few million litres of raw sewage in the river every time it rained). Are there any effective natural ways people know of that can help weeds? Methods that are chemcial free that don't always involve ripping plants from the ground?

Tried some Green Earth weed and grass killer, pathetically weak. Sprayed the same patch day after day with little effect. Now have green with brown highlights. At 12 bucks a bottle doesn't go far.

Weed Be Gone (with iron) works, but slower than advertised.

I'm goin with cheap vinegar/soap for weeds, and salt for patio cracks.

Alternatives ? buy a goat.

How do I feel about banning pesticides in the city ?

"Ladies home journal". At best "The urban gardener"

Will someone please remind everyone to get their minds ' back in the gutter' or at least what your grandma might say is ' in the gutter'.

( half in jest, .. half serious)...

?????????????really?????????????

I agree with the ban on these products. The quickest fix is to pay a bit of money to get the pro to come in and kill the weeds and save your back. Afterwards, your task is to get a healthy lawn. This will keep the weeds out. Maintenance is a snap then. All you need is feed your lawn regularly (I prefer Scotts) and remove any weeds you see on the lawn. There will be just a few.

I spent 2 entire days pulling weeds from my gardens and from the lawn. Today, I am sitting here, nose running like a tap, watching the dandelion fluff float thru the air landing all over my weed free property. I do understand the dangers of these products but my allergies are screaming in protest. I am tempted to drive across the border and smuggle some in LOL! What are your views on this subject?

Due to the lack of good pesticides, bed bugs which were once neutralized have become an epedmic in Ottawa, we have gone too far in banning pesticides.

• Like 1

I got to jump into this too. McGuinty totally caved into a bunch of well meaning but overly zealous activists (and I am being kind) with the pesticide (read herbicide) ban.

The doctor report that was used as a basis for the ban was biased in that it cherry picked the few studies that showed some indication of effects but left out the many others that didn't. Even then, the only studies that even showed a faint link, if any, were with heavy uses, such as farmers, and not with residential users. On top of this, guess who still can use these pesticides? Farmers!!

Health Canada and many other national laboratories have tested common herbicides and said they were safe to use. On Ontario's part, it was a totally political action.

Science bent for political gain is not science. Guess who I will not be voting for.

Rant over

-Alg

So from what I can see both Ontario and Quebec provinces have banned the sale of herbacides. They are still available in the US in New York State. I was in Ogdensburg this morning and went to see at Lowes and they had lots in stock. When I got to the counter the cashier was very nice and asked me if I was Canadian and planned on bringing them over the border to which I repplied YES! She told me it was illegal to bring those products into Canada and that they often get people bringing them right back because they were refused at the border.

Just thought I would let everyone know.