The world is changing...should we change too?

I was able to get my hands on an EV.  About 350km at 80% (ideally you want to keep it between 10/20% to 80%).  I like over 100km from work and am able to commute back and forth with plenty of battery to spare.  Plug it in to a 40amp (range plug on a 50amp breaker) charger and have it charged in just over 3hrs for the next day.  I could've used a smaller service considering I am charging over night.  Lots of apps out there to find charging stations.  Some are free - good way to draw in customers that are now having to hang around and shop.  The fast DC chargers will degrade your battery life - standard use will have 90% capacity in 4 years - charging once a week on a fast DC charge will lower that to 80%.  But you can charge to 100% and use a DC fast charge, just don't make a habit of it.  Also plugging in a 110v at any powered stall will get you 50-60km just sitting for a full work day.

Not sure how the winter is going to work, anticipating a sizable reduction in range.

But my daily commute cost has dropped by 90% and I don't need to stop for fuel or oil changes any more.  Other than brake fluid and windshield washer fluid - there is nothing else to service.

Carrying a generator is unnecessary - the mileage calculation is very accurate and you can watch it drop when you turn the AC on.  So plan accordingly.  And the infrastructure is only getting better.  Many CT's have chargers now.  Even ran across some the Shell is adding.

• Like 1

The battery should last some time.  I've seen that after 4/5 years it can still hold 90% of the charge, with proper care.  I've heard $6-7k to replace the batteries which isn't too bad.  Depending on how long I can make the originals viable.

The AC/heat/climate control in general will drop the mileage.  By a few KM, so as long as you have plenty of range, not a big deal. 

• Like 1

To take the topic in a slightly different direction, would be good to talk about the future of car dealerships.

In the last decades, we seen many attempts to change the car buying experience. But with strong resistance from traditional dealerships, the status quo remained. But with Covid and supply chains problems, some dealerships started shooting themselves in the foot with price gauging and other questionable business practices.

One of those is the concept of "reservations". Instead of ordering a vehicle with a signed agreement and deposit, you're asked to simple place a reservation without commitments. This sounds great on paper. But once the vehicle shows up, without an agreement the dealership can charge you whatever they want.

As manufacturers are receive direct backlash for this, on top of decades of bad services, chauvinism and a complete lack ethics and regulations, some of the big ones are finally threatening to close some or potentially their entire network. This is not going to happen overnight as some laws and business agreements will need updates to allow this.

Ford, GM Push Harder to Stop New Car Flipping and Price Gouging (caranddriver.com)

Ford CEO Wants to Abolish the Dealership Experience as We Know It (jalopnik.com)

GM looking to stop dealerships from marking up electric vehicles (mobilesyrup.com)

After experiencing my share of bad experience when buying new vehicles, I will not feel bad. Mostly in Canada where we got no "Lemon Laws" and manufacturers and dealerships are regulating themselves.