Hobby phone advice?

What is the best (cheapest, most flexible and discrete) hobby phone plan? I know I need to arrange a hobby phone - what things should one consider when purchasing a hobby phone. Ladies and gents I offer my thanks in advance!

J

... already got a pm from Roaming Guy... which alerted me to the fact I had posted in the wrong forum...

I would suggest a simple pay as you go plan and phone. You can pick one up at WalMart in a bubble pack. When you need a top up you can get a phone card at any corner store for ten bucks. I personally have a simple Samsung with a slide out keyboard so I can occasionally send a text. It's with Telus and the only requirement is a minimum $10 dollars once a month.

waterrat,

In my situation I use my cell phone only for hobbying and at most 3 times per month. I use pay-as-you-go Speakout. I bought from the net a used Nokia 1661 with airtime for cheaper than face value. Getting the phone number changed was painless. You add airtime buy purchasing vouchers from 7/11 stores - there are none in Ottawa but people on the net sell the vouchers. The vouchers last for 365 days.

http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/

http://www.speakoutwireless.ca/

Cheers,

A M

• Like 3

It seems that there is a 7-Eleven store at 1386 Richmond Road, in the Lincoln Heights area. Does anyone know if it is still there and if they sell the pre-paid phones and airtime cards?

Well my home phone is also my hobby, er, lifestyle phone LOL

I use Virgin Mobility, on a pay as you go (phone card)

I picked mine up at Wireless Wave

Store locator for WW in Ottawa

http://www.wirelesswave.ca/stores/ontario/city.asp?City=Ottawa

Good luck, no matter what phone and plan you use

Virgin (ironic company name considering what I use it for) works for me

RG

It seems that there is a 7-Eleven store at 1386 Richmond Road, in the Lincoln Heights area. Does anyone know if it is still there and if they sell the pre-paid phones and airtime cards?

Like AncientMariner said above, there are no 7-Elevens in Ottawa. You'll find the Lincoln Fields location is something else now. Next best cheapie pre-paid deal I know of in Ottawa is with Petro-Canada. On promotion, I got my phone for only $49. $25 of airtime lasts 120 days (4 months), so it only costs me $75 a year to operate. Unused minutes carry over. That gives me way more minutes than I need for hobbying. Well worth the convenience and peace of mind.

get a magic jack. You can use as lan line or portable with a computer

WHen you use a majic jack, a generic phone number appears on call display, same as using gmail or whatever else it is you can use to call off the computer. For many ladies, myself included, we won't book from these same as if you were calling from a blocked/private number.

WHen you use a majic jack, a generic phone number appears on call display, same as using gmail or whatever else it is you can use to call off the computer. For many ladies, myself included, we won't book from these same as if you were calling from a blocked/private number.

Cleo is right. I don't pick up blocked numbers, payphones, skype or googlemail, calling card or those other types of numbers either.

Unless it's a 10 digit number that I can call you back on (which rarely I have to), no appointment can be booked.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll definitely check out Virgin Mobile and also the Petro Canada prepaid options.

So far I've been able to make bookings using e-mail, cerb pm's and payphones but a hobby phone will make things so much easier.

A number of ladies have been very accommodating of my payphone use but payphones are getting to be very few and far between.

J