Montreal? Mais oui...

I fell in love with all things French some years ago on a trip to Paris. Oh, I knew I would like the place but I was totally unprepared for how head over heels I would fall. I loved the culture, the art, the architecture. I loved the stylish women, who would smile indulgently at me as I struggled to speak my rudimentary French. And most of all, I loved the food. I loved how Parisians would visit small shops to buy just enough cheese, fresh bread, meat, and vegetables for that evening. Perhaps even some cut flowers for the table. And they would spend their evenings making and eating their leisurely suppers with a little wine and perhaps good company.

I came home from that trip and tried to live my life a little differently. I wanted to have a slower pace of life. I wanted to live a simpler life and savor fewer fine things rather than mass consume many mediocre ones. But old habits die hard, and I drifted back to my old ways eventually. I'm sorry to say that my French indulgences are now few and far between. An occasional glass of French wine, a croissant from a really fine local French bakery. The odd meal at one of the few good French restaurants in my city. Smiles from my French-speaking friends as I still struggle with speaking my poor French.

Returning to Paris is out of reach for me, at least for anytime soon. But I can do the next best thing, at least as far as a Canadian is concerned. For the first time in my Western-Canada dwelling life, I'm going to visit Montreal later this year.

So, all you fine folk, I'm looking for suggestions for things to do and especially great places to eat. I already know about the famed smoked meats, the poutine, the squeaky cheese. But I'm wondering what else I should be checking out. I'm looking for the sublime, perhaps even the unusual.

I'm not really looking for hobby-related suggestions. Those attractions in Montreal are well storied throughout the rest of Canada, and I'm sure I would have no difficulty there.

You are in luck, as there are always great things to do in Montreal. The following are suggestions from someone who has never lived there, so i have no "insider" information. Perhaps some other members living or having lived there will add on (or correct) to the ideas i am writing here now.

If you go during the summer, Montreal is buzzing with festivals - The Jazz fest with it's free concerts on the streets, the F1 race , the comedy festival, as well as the montreal film festivals, including the Fantasia film fest which i believe is on now. For a complete run down of what is on when (especially outisde the summer months), you can look at the following: http://montreal.com/tourism/festivals/index.html

As for eating, you can look at celebrity chef's restaurant like Le garde Manger (Chuck Hughes) or Le Pied de Cochon (Martin Picard - who uses foie gras in is menu among other things).

The old port of Montreal is another and the surrounding old town has numerous little restaurants and antiquities shops, if i remember well my last trip there. Cant remember any particular restaurants, as it's been a long while.

For shopping, the "underground city" is interesting as you have a whole lot of shopping malls built along the subway system around St-Catherine street.

Hope this helps in getting you started.

Addendum:

There are numerous brew pubs on St-Denis between St-Catherine and Sherbrooke street, lie "L'amere a boire", "les trois brasseurs" (there is a full menu) as well as "le cheval blanc", not counting great coffee shops. Frites Alors! is another restaurant i had tried, with a menu surrounding belgium fries : http://www.fritealors.com/en/indexb_a.html

Edited by m*s**rt
Added some more info ...
  • Like 2

The Montreal Mirror's annual Best of Montreal - Best Restaurants Section is an excellent reference for what you are looking for: (http://www.montrealmirror.com/wp/2011/05/12/chowtime)

The survey also contains others sections, such as Nightlife, Film/Arts, and City Life, which includes such interesting items as the best places in Montreal to have public sex.

Enjoy your visit to Montreal, where you will come across some of the world's most beautiful women.

• Like 1

Thank you very much, mistert and RobX! I think that with Montreal, the problem is not in finding things to see and places to go, but rather in narrowing the options down. I'll check these places out.

Consider staying at a B&B

Rent a bicycle and ride the Lachine Canal very early Sat or Sun morning.

The Bar B Barn for ribs [if it still exists]

• Like 1

Bar-B-Barn is still there at their original location at 1201 Guy. They opened a second location at 3300 Sources Blvd. in Dollard-des-Ormeaux. If you eat any kind of meat, you must visit these people before you die. Otherwise, on your deathbed, you will pull a Homer Simpson (D'OH!).

• Like 1

Bar-B-Barn sounds like a must visit. I love barbeque.

I think I've gotten a few suggestions now for Le garde Manger. Anyone eaten there?

Additional Comments:

And Vicky Vix, Lily-Rose, Eva Charms etc etc.
Ah, the Montreal women. Sigh.

i love le garde manger, i go there very often it's an expensive place but if you enjoy great food, great wine you won't regret it.

If you go you have to try there famous lobster poutine and the bavette is also delicious

Sonoma

• Like 1

Well. it is so easy to get caught up in the cliches of Montreal that it is easy to miss some of the real pleasures. Just two to start:

Montreal is multi-cultural. This resto, Pintxo, is Spanish/Basque is lots of fun and still sophisticated. The pintxos are a sophisticated re-interpretation of Basque bar food: mini-tapas. Don't order a 'main,' order 3 or 4 pintxos instead (their specialty).

http://www.pintxo.ca/Templates/ingles.htm

And definitely you must spend a few hours wandering around Jean-Talon Market! If you have the energy Little Italy is near-by for an espresso 'correcto' to finish off the day.

Touch

-- and other senses too :)

• Like 2

Well. it is so easy to get caught up in the cliches of Montreal that it is easy to miss some of the real pleasures. Just two to start:

Montreal is multi-cultural. This resto, Pintxo, is Spanish/Basque is lots of fun and still sophisticated. The pintxos are a sophisticated re-interpretation of Basque bar food: mini-tapas. Don't order a 'main,' order 3 or 4 pintos instead (their specialty).

And definitely you must spend a few hours wandering around Jean-Talon Market! If you have the energy Little Italy is near-by for an espresso 'correcto' to finish off the day.

Touch

-- and other senses too :)

Well, looks yummy. Did not know about pintxo and now I want some of that next time I'm in town...

And Vicky Vix, Lily-Rose, Eva Charms etc etc.

And if you're into erotic massage, do yourself a favor, and go see Little Nadia at Maison Massage.

Montreal is multi-cultural. This resto, Pintxo, is Spanish/Basque is lots of fun and still sophisticated. The pintxos are a sophisticated re-interpretation of Basque bar food: mini-tapas. Don't order a 'main,' order 3 or 4 pintos instead (their specialty).

Pintxo sounds well worth checking out. It's funny, one of Winnipeg's best restaurants is Segovia and it's along a very similar theme. Their menu is almost completely Spanish tapas with no entrees offered. They offer traditional tapas done very well, but they really shine at their 'nueva cochina'. It's nominally fusion tapas, but where many fusion dishes at other restaurants are seemingly done just for novelty's sake here some of the most unlikely ingredients are combined to form the most harmonious combinations. My mouth's watering right now.

Jean-Talon market is already on my list. And I'll always have the energy to seek out the perfect god-shot espresso. Thanks, great ideas.

Additional Comments:

And if you're into erotic massage, do yourself a favor, and go see Little Nadia at Maison Massage.
I may have to make a separate trip just to take in the best of Montreal's other sensual delights!

The Laurentians look lovely. The hiking and cycling look especially appealing, and the path is ever so more attractive when you know there'll be a fine meal and a glass of wine at the end of the day. Thanks, Emma.

There are so many things I to want to do already, though, and I suspect the trip will already be exciting as opposed to relaxing. It's clear that I'm going to have to face this trip like I'm going to come back sometime, which I think I will be.

I love staying in one of the small hotels on St. Denis. Bistro a JoJo is a fun spot with live blues. Of course, Crescent St is a must see...bar wise. And for a great dining experience, check out O.Noir on St. Catherine. So many fun and great places to visit, it could take me hours to describe all of the touristy things I love to do when there.

• Like 1

I just rechecked this thread and wanted to add a few things, even if you are more suggestions than you'll time for ;-). While Chuck Hughes has a lobster poutine at his restaurant (le garde manger), Martin Picard has a Foie Gras poutine. But at 23$ a pop (and taxing your liver) ....

I have included a link for Martin Picard's restaurant (le pied de cochon) but could not find anything for "le garde manger", save for Chuck Hughes website

I found a few english boards reviewing visits to the Garde Manger.

I also just remember, if you like markets like the Jean-Talon (i see it is on your list), to look at the Atwater market if you have time. St-Hubert street (the sidewalks are covered in glass, do you'd be able to shop rain or shine) is also interesting to find little shops. My favorite there is called Oscar, for chocolates (huge selection) and sweets in bulk. There are a couple of shops which serve as outlets for artisan products "made in Quebec".

Thanks again, mistert. You're a font of helpful information!

Foie gras poutine? I'm conflicted about foie gras... but I know I'd be tempted to try it. Livers are overrated anyway. ;)

Foie gras poutine? I'm conflicted about foie gras... but I know I'd be tempted to try it.

A classic example of things that, while both being delicious individually, just don't work together. But by all means go for it...

I just rechecked this thread and wanted to add a few things, even if you are more suggestions than you'll time for ;-). While Chuck Hughes has a lobster poutine at his restaurant (le garde manger), Martin Picard has a Foie Gras poutine. But at 23$ a pop (and taxing your liver) ....

I have included a link for Martin Picard's restaurant (le pied de cochon) but could not find anything for "le garde manger", save for Chuck Hughes website

I found a few english boards reviewing visits to the Garde Manger.

I also just remember, if you like markets like the Jean-Talon (i see it is on your list), to look at the Atwater market if you have time. St-Hubert street (the sidewalks are covered in glass, do you'd be able to shop rain or shine) is also interesting to find little shops. My favorite there is called Oscar, for chocolates (huge selection) and sweets in bulk. There are a couple of shops which serve as outlets for artisan products "made in Quebec".

I enjoyed a lovely meal at le garde manager some months ago, with one of our lovely cerb members, but that is another story. It is a relatively small place, they do not have a website and reservations can be difficult at times. I would book early if you plan to visit there.

There are a number of great places to stay in Old Montreal. The Auberge du Vieux Port and their lofts are quite nice and very different than the big hotels. The lofts are located above three of the restaurants in Old Montreal and room service is provided by the restaurant below.

http://www.aubergeduvieuxport.com/

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip, Ilovegirls. I checked out Le Garde Manger on Urbanspoon and I have mixed feelings, several of the reviewers mentioned an attitude like they were doing you a favor by letting you eat there and that kind of thing really grates on me. Still, I should see for myself. I'll be making a reservation as soon as I know when I'm going to be in town.... if they'll let me make one.

The Auberge du Vieux Port sounds great, but I think I have accommodations settled already as I'll be staying with a friend. I'd definitely consider it on a future trip!

I just spent a very pleasant but much too short visit to Montreal. I never did make it to Garde Manger. I just couldn't get a reservation no how, no way and on a suggestion I walked up right at opening hoping to get seated at the bar but it was fully booked- even early in the week. But as with the rest of life, pleasant surprises abound when you least expect them. I had a magical evening at a small neighborhood restaurant well outside of Old Montreal. I was seated in an outdoor patio, eating foie gras and confit, drinking wine. Edith Piaf played in the background, everyone spoke French around me and my dinner companion. I was transported back to my brief visit to Paris for a precious few moments. I'd highly recommend Le Deux Gamins in Plateau Mont-Royal, and I know I'll be back.

I also was able to spend a very happy hour or so wandering around Marche Atwater, gathering bread, pate, cheese, fruit and wine for a very simple meal later on a high balcony overlooking the city and the setting sun. It's true, sometimes the simplest pleasures are the best.

And the women. Oh. My. God. The women. Old and young, thick and thin, casual and elegant. There are so many utterly beautiful women here. I seriously will have a thing for French women after this.

I just want to thank everyone again for all your suggestions. I only wish I could have explored all of them, but of course, that's what future trips are for.

I just rechecked this thread and wanted to add a few things, even if you are more suggestions than you'll time for ;-). While Chuck Hughes has a lobster poutine at his restaurant (le garde manger)

:icon_eek: I must have this!!!!!!!! :icon_eek: