The Rep System Ã?Ã?Ã? Arggh!

Hate to sound negative but does anyone else notice the amount of negative rep. flying around lately? I remember a time when the frowny face of negative rep. was like a WMD. Now, they fly around like mosquitoes in the night for some reason. Possibly a reflection of some of the more negative or heated threads that we have been seeing of late?

Your thoughts, please.

In some cases some may feel uncertain about responding, finding that the passive silent approach is the safest. So, when a comment is read which one may wish to respond to, but responding might not be the "safest" thing to do, maybe they see using negative rep as a safe way of applying negative comments. I've only used positive rep to date, but haven't considered using negative rep.

There have recently been a few threads that were not in the spirit of CERB, and many have responded with a shower of negative rep points. Broadly speaking, nothing unusual there, as it represents what a closely-knit social group will do to those who go against dominant social norms.

There are instances, from time to time, of negative points being given to those who expressed opinions that are mildly controversial while still respecting CERB social norms. That is somewhat regrettable, as it creates tension, those getting negative points likely being turned off by this. I know I have been in the past...

Is the line clear cut? Certainly not, but as a community, each here must strive sincerely to express one's point of view while respecting CERB's stand regarding the hobby, its participants, be they providers and hobbyists.

Overall, this community is a remarkably well-functionning and respectful one.

toine

Hate to sound negative but does anyone else notice the amount of negative rep. flying around lately? I remember a time when the frowny face of negative rep. was like a WMD. Now, they fly around like mosquitoes in the night for some reason. Possibly a reflection of some of the more negative or heated threads that we have been seeing of late?

Your thoughts, please.

The use of negative rep. in my opinion should only be used for bad behavior not when disagreeing with someones post. That said if the poster stated something racist, etc. then by all means use negative rep. but for everyday run of the mill difference of opinion replying to the post would be more appropriate.

I am starting to think that some members here don't know how to use the "I approve" button when doling out rep. points.

My thoughts...and observations.

I agree completely on your first post quoted here. I have said my thought. Negative rep points are negativity and should not be here on a positive board. Frankly I can't understand why cerb allows it!!!!.

On your second paragraph I agree too except that for bad behaviour or bad (i.e. racist) comments we have already a Reporting system and they deserve more that a negative point. It is worse when one or more individuals actually abuse the negative rep system and use it to get back at someone who may have not agree with their post or have expressed a different point of view than theirs. I was shockingly surprise myself this weekend as I received a negative rep in my recent recommendation post when I actually defended the agency and I expressed respect for lady's wishes and commented that I felt like the lady was not comfortable with deep kissing and hence I did not wish to go ahead with that service just because she was advertised to do so.

Edited by S*****t Ad*****r

I was shockingly surprise myself this weekend as I received a negative rep in my recent recommendation post when I actually defended the agency expressed respect for lady's wishes and commented that I felt like the lady was not comfortable with deep kissing and did not wish to go ahead with that just because she was advertised to do so.

Interesting, you received negative rep. points for assuming that a lady was apprehensive about something and did not want to force anything (as you weren't 100% sure) thereby making her feel (presumably) more uncomfortable???

In my opinion the post in question (yes I read it) wouldn't warrant deduction of rep. points. But c'est la vie...